Sports Huddle: Jerry Kill Summary - 1/01/12

DL65

Reaction score
Much of today's program focused on questions related to recruiting.

The following are coach Kill's comments in response to Dave Mona and Sid Hartman's queries:

1) Recruiting: "At this point I feel pretty good." He then said the many coaching changes this past month (He specifically mentioned the hiring of Urban Meyer) has changed the recruiting landscape. Sounded as though some of the new coaches are looking at and/or coming after some of Minnesota's recruits/targets. However, he sounded positive when he said, "We're improving our team." He said they have to finish the recruiting season and January is a crucial month . . . "we have to keep recruiting."

2) Sid asked if coach Kill pays attention to the recruiting services (2* and 3* recruits): "Doesn't affect or pay attention to the recruiting services . . . who's putting the stars on them?" "Figure out what's best for your team." "Recruit to the University of MInnesota and what's best for us." He mentioned Wisconsin as a team that has done well with supposed 2 and 3 star players and a few listed as 4 stars. He said that if the stars were important you'd think UCLA would be playing for the national championship (Kill said the announcers kept saying this player is a 4 star recruit during the game yesterday with Illinois). Coach Kill said he was sure that some in the recruiting services do a good job, but, again, they don't pay attention to the so-called recruiting mavens.

3) Sid said he heard some of the assistant coaches receive 100 films a day: Coach Kill said it is hard to keep up with all the information or reports that they receive regarding recruits. He said he receives 30-60 emails daily about recruits. Recruiting has changed tremendously, "It's hard to hide a kid, now." The recruiting services and social media outlets have dramatically changed the recruiting environment.

4) Stoudermire's request for a medical redshirt: "NCAA is pretty slow . . . we should know in a month or two . . . looks promising . . . we'll have to see how it works out."

5) Injuries: Marcus Jones is recovering from his ACL injury (sounded rather positive about the injury ("clean injury")). He said a couple other players (no names given) had sustained foot injuries (fractures). Hopes to have all available for spring ball.

6) QB recruiting (the large number and reported recruitment of QB from Chicago (Gregory) - Sid didn't use his name: Kill quickly responded, "We recruit athletes (laughter in his voice) . . . We need athletes . . . We'll recruit the best athletes we can coach." Kill wants athletes that can play, whether or not it's at the position they were initially recruited. As an example that Kill gave: sometimes defensive line recruits are best on the offensive line.

7) Advantages of playing in a bowl game and/or being able to focus solely on recruiting: Kill said, "Not in a bowl game is a different feeling." (He said you're able to do both: prepare for a bowl game (a great advantage in player development) and recruit. He then said, "We have more time to focus on recruiting." (He said this year is a crucial year in recruiting, because of the many needs that they have.)

8) Academics: "We'll know Wednesday." They'll meet with the academic staff and will know a lot more: however, he then said, "There's no question we're better, we're improving." Academics and strength and conditioning are important and . . . "the kids need to know where we need to go." "Kids are understanding that academics is the number one priority." (Kill said a select few will go pro and even those must prepare for the years after their playing days are finished.) He also acknowledged that sometimes a player will struggle in the classroom; but "I have a problem with those that don't give a good effort."

9) Sid asked another recruiting-related question: Kill responded by saying this is an important class because of the holes that need to be filled. "We have to finish strong in January."

10) Recruits enrolling for the second semester: Coach Kill anticipates 8 or 9 recruits to be in class and participating in spring drills.

Go Gophers!!

Happy New Year!!

DL, I was able to listen again today, and you summed up The Huddle very accurately.

Thanks for doing these reports.

Happy New Year.

DL

Curious if you or anyone else caught the interview with JM regarding the agreement with the Pac 12.

I only caught a very small part of it.

Sorry, station 19. I heard bits and pieces, however, I was focused on writing the summary. Dave Mona opened up the questioning by saying he was surprised at the announcement, which he liked, since they were able to keep it quiet until the announcement. I wish the segment were on now.

Go Gophers!!

UCLA is an interesting case. Their biggest problem the last few years has been injuries to their QB. They've had some four star QBs alright. The problem is they've all went down with injuries. That left them playing 2 star QBs. That hasn't gone so well.

Also couldn't help but wonder how many 4 and 5 star players Kill turned down because, you know, they just wouldn't fit into his system..:rolleyes:

Also couldn't help but wonder how many 4 and 5 star players Kill turned down because, you know, they just wouldn't fit into his system..:rolleyes:

No doubt Kill is pretty good at spinning his message to manage expectations. That's what a lot of coaches do, and, after so many of us were sucked in by Brewster's message on recruiting, I prefer this approach. I don't expect him to say, "Well, we can't get the elite recruits because our program has sucked for so long." At the same time, I get the feeling he is looking for a specific type of player and given a choice between a high character kid with 2 or 3 stars and a kid with character issues and 4 stars, Kill is going to take the high character recruit.

Top Bottom