Northwestern: Consider Declining Future Bowl Invitations

LesBolstad

Reaction score
That's 9 consecutive bowl losses; giving up 42 points per game. Embarrassing to the Big10. You can score but your defense is always horrible and running a spread offense only exacerbates your defensive shortcomings. You can't stop anyone who has a month to prepare.

NW earned that right. They sure did ok vs. the Gophers. Should Ill. pass up a bowl because they played bad at the end? The athletes deserve the reward.

They shouldn't turn down anything. A&M's not a terrible team, so it's not like they lost to the Little Sisters of the Poor. That said, I didn't think Northwestern was all that good a team. I didn't see the game, but I can only imagine that Northwestern was out-paced athletically.

Honestly, worthless post. A&M had one of its most skilled teams ever - for this were picked #8 preseason. Although they lost 6, look at their losses - 4 losses by 5 or less points and 2 overtime games including 4OT loss to #14 at the time Kansas State. It was more of a mismatch than what the records indicated. Not going to fault Fitz and NU for accepting a challenge.

Good points Spin Your Head. The beef against Mike Sherman in Green Bay is that he couldn't win close games (or that he made blow-outs too close by putting in the clutch in the second halves of games) and that held true in 2011. Lost some heartbreakers. Sherman put together some solid recruiting classes at A&M. Too bad he won't be around to coach them.

I just got back from the game, and NW fought back okay. The Ags got a big lead but managed to allow NW
back in it. One problem NW has is that it often gets matched up against teams they don't match up well with.
I wish them well and it was good having them down here.

Honestly, worthless post. A&M had one of its most skilled teams ever - for this were picked #8 preseason. Although they lost 6, look at their losses - 4 losses by 5 or less points and 2 overtime games including 4OT loss to #14 at the time Kansas State. It was more of a mismatch than what the records indicated. Not going to fault Fitz and NU for accepting a challenge.

Responding to a "worthless post" is even more worthless that the original worthless post, dooshie.

Are any of you familiar with satire?

I fail to interpret a satirical and joking tone in your original post. And thank you for reinforcing the "worthlessness" of this discussion by personally linking it with words such as "facetious" and "satire."

I fail to interpret a satirical and joking tone in your original post. And thank you for reinforcing the "worthlessness" of this discussion by personally linking it with words such as "facetious" and "satire."

No, thank you stat man. Had I known A&M had "4 losses by 5 or less points and 2 overtime games including 4OT loss to #14 at the time Kansas State." Well that changes everything.

If by winner you mean d0uche, then you are correct LesBolstad is a giant winner

honestly the posts on these sites start off with a good topic and then end up OFF topic. i read an article about jeff jones scholarship offer as a sophomore and someone ended up talking about how they lost 80-30 in a middle school game because the other team pressed em too hard :/ I just wanna talk ball, man. Not trash.

I personally think 'thread' is a perfect name for these conversational topics. They can be severed in an instant, and can be effortlessly combined with another in the blink of an eye.

honestly the posts on these sites start off with a good topic and then end up OFF topic. i read an article about jeff jones scholarship offer as a sophomore and someone ended up talking about how they lost 80-30 in a middle school game because the other team pressed em too hard :/ I just wanna talk ball, man. Not trash.

Post of the Year!!!

Re: Northwestern

To get back on topic, NW has tied the record for bowl futility with 9 consecutive losses; dating back to a 1949 Rose Bowl win.

NW coach Fitzgerald spoke pre game of "getting the monkey off our backs" and ending the streak. Didn't happen.

im glad they're consistently in the B1G bowl picture, though. the ten is better when they have some national prominence.

Top Bottom