Book Recommendations Part II: Gopher Football Anthologies

DL65

Reaction score
The following are books that Gopher fans (old and new) would find helpful in learning about Gopher football history, its traditions, and the players and coaches that wore the maroon and gold and created great memories:

1) "Gold Glory" By Richard Rainbolt. Covers the years 1882-1971. Published in 1972.

2) "100 Years of Golden Gopher Footbal" 1882-1981. Published in 1981 by the Univesity of Minnesota Men's Collegiate Athletic Department.

3) "Gophers Illustrated: The Incredible Complete History of Minnesota Football" by Al Papas Jr. Copyright 2009.

4) "Maroon and Gold Forever: Celebrating 125 Years of Golden Gopher Football" by Ross Bernstein Copyright 2009.

5) "Game of My Life Minnesota: Memorable Stories of Gophers Football" by Joel A. Rippel

6) "Gopher Tales" by Ray Christensen

7) "Gold Memories" by Ray Christensen

Go Gophers!!

I can vouch for #3. Since I basically read for a living, I despise reading for "fun" and this book is perfect. Short player and big game profiles and lots and lots of pictures.

Your best bet for the first two listed would probably be Amazon; however, the other five can be located at a number of outlets. Magers and Quinn in the Uptown area has the last five; they've also had "Gold Glory" in the past. I'd check their website.

Hope that helps.

Go Gophers!!

Football at Minnesota: the story of thirty years' contests on the gridiron, published 1914. It is an interesting perspective on the early history of Gopher football.

You can download a PDF version of it from this link:

http://books.google.com/books?dq=university+of+minnesota+football&id=vHRJAAAAYAAJ&output=text

It's a scanned PDF, not as easy to read as it would be if it were plain text. In my limited spare time, I am working on a text version. The book references an earlier book on Minnesota football published in 1900, but I couldn't find a copy of that earlier book on the web.

I can vouch for #3. Since I basically read for a living, I despise reading for "fun" and this book is perfect. Short player and big game profiles and lots and lots of pictures.

I'm the same way and #3 is a wonderful, wonderful book. A must own for Gopher football fans IMO. The two Ray Christensen books are fabulous as well.

Top Bottom