College Football Book Recommendations

DL65

Reaction score
The "Reusse Writing the Facts" thread prompted me to write this thread, for many of the works illustrate programs that have undergone periods of futility like Minnesota (albeit the Gophers drought has been much longer) and the solutions they implemented to regain their stature and winning traditions. All of the books listed are in my personal library, and I've enjoyed the works immensely and highly recommend them.

So as to keep this thread manageable and not overly verbose, this thread will focus on seven biographical works. I'll start another thread that focuses on anthologies related specifically to Golden Gopher football.

If you have works that I don't list in my favoites, I sincerely hope you will list the works that you've enjoyed and found to be of value. I'm always on the look out for quatity books covering college and Gopher football.

Biographies:

1) "Resurrection: The Miracle Season That Saved Notre Dame" by Jim Dent. The book covers Ara Parseghian's first year at Notre Dame, 1964, in which a late game rally by the Southern Cal Trojans prevented the Irish from going undefeated and being crowned national champs. (Plagued by bad coaching choices after Frank Leahy's retirement, incompetent management, and the loss of administrative and institutional support, the Irish program in the 1950s and early 1960s was in shambles. (In truth, Fathers Hesbergh and Joyce fearing that Notre Dame was becoming a "football factory" they decided to deemphasize football upon Leahy's retirement.) However, with the arrival Ara and a new-found institutional commitment (knowing the importance and the benefits of a winning football program) the Irish were once again enjoying great success on the gridiron.

2)"The Undefeated: The Oklahoma Sooners and the Greatest Winning Streak in College Football" by Jim Dent. From the third game of the 1953 season until the eigth game in 1957 the Sooners won 47 consecutive games, which still stands in BCS level football. The book opens with the Oklahoma Regents feeling compelled to rebuild the morale of the state following World War II and davastation of the "Dust Bowl" and Depression days of the 1930s. (More than one-million Oklahoma citizens abandoned the state during the hard days of the Depression.) The Regents and the school president looked to schools such as Minnesota, Notre Dame, Army as schools to emulate. They, of course, hired former Gopher great, Bud Wilkinson, to build the team and the state's morale. He did so with great success. As an example, during a a nine-year stretch the Wilkinson led Sooners enjoyed a 94-4-2 record. The first part of the book focuses on Wilkinson and his development as a youth and football gridder at Minnesota. A very good read.

3) "The Last Coach: A Life of Paul "Bear" Bryant" by Allen Bara. Although often portrayed simplistically, Paul Bryant was complex but basic in his coaching methods. The work goes into detail how Bryant was able to turn programs around, including Alabama, that had been experiencing hard times. His youth and playing days at Alabama are covered in detail, as are the friendships that he enjoyed in the coaching fraternity. A good history book of college football and will rekindle memories of yesteryear for those of us that began following college football in the 1950s and 1960s.

4) "The Autumn Warrior: Murray Warmath's 65 Years in American Football" by Mike Wilkinson. In-depth look at Warmath's playing days at Tennessee and as an assistant coach at Tennessee under Bob Neyland and Army's Earl "Red" Blaik, and as head coach at Mississippi State University and the University of Minnesota. Autumn Warrior chronicles his years at Minnesota, especially the Rose Bowl years and the 1962 season. A very good read, and one for old timers and youngsters that want to become familiar with the lore and traditions of Minnesota Golden Gopher Football.

5) "Bo" by Bo Schembechler and Mitch Albom. Covers his playing days, but great emphasis on his early coaching days with Woody Hayes and his early Michigan years. When Bo took over the Wolverines they were a team and organization that had been struggling. Hard to believe now, but the facilities at Michigan were very similar to those of Minnesota at the time, which were horrendous. Also covered in detail, beside his winning tradition, was his heart attack as the Wolverines were preparing for the Rose Bowl.

6) "Notre Dame's Greatest Coaches: Rockne - Leahy - Parsesghian - Holtz" by Moose Krause and stephan Singular. Insights related to the four famous coaches is provided by the late Irish Athletic Director Moose Krause. Krause also played and coached at the South Bend school. In all, he was involved in Irish football for more than 60 years.

7) "War As They Knew It: Woody Hayes, Bo Schembechler, and America in a Time of Unrest" by Michael Rosenthal. Covers the bitter rivalry between the headstrong coaches as well as their enduring friendship. The backdrop of their gridiron battles was the social and campus unrest during the Viet Nam War. Covered in great detail were the obstacles and the great changes that Bo Schembechler brought to Michigan football and the transformation that was facilitated by Michigan's innovative athletic director, Don Canham. Schembechler was very fortunate to have a supportive and creative administrator in Canham.

IMHO, the above works provide the history lessons that the U of Minnesota administation needs to study, which spell out problems encountered and overcome, lessons learned on how to build a winning program (commitment, commitment, commitment), and the importance and benefits of college football in a university mission and environment.

I apologize for the thread's length.

Go Gophers!!

Thanks DL65

When you do your summaries of the The Sports Huddle you seem to be able to do it with very few words, yet you capture the essence of what was said. Yes, there may be a few more words with this post but again I am sure you have given us the essence. Well done!

A couple of football related books that I really enjoyed are:

The Sweet Season by Austin Murphy - Follows John Gagliardi and the St. Johns football team through a football season.

Season of Life: A Football Star, a Boy, a Journey to Manhood by John Marx - Great book that should be required reading for all boys when they reach their teenage years, IMO.

Both of these books are more about life lessons than about x's and o's but they were both excellent.

I'll add a few more:

1. Monster of the Midway by Jim Dent. A biography of Bronko Nagurski, with more than half devoted to his professional career (hence the title), but is just about a "must-read" for Golden Gopher fans.

2. A Civil War by John Feinstein. I had the pleasure of attending the Army-Navy game in 2008. And read this book as self-imposed "pre-work" in the days leading up to heading to Philly. This book captures the sacrifice that the players go through, and what a huge event it is for them and all their fellow cadets and middies throughout the world. I'll always take away the thought that as stated in the book (paraphrasing) "the toughest 2 hours every day for the normal D-1 football player are practices - yet for football players at West Point and Annapolis, they are the easiest 2 hours of their day".

3. Turning of the Tide by Don Yeager. Great read about when the fully integrated USC Trojans, led by John McKay, traveled to Tuscaloosa to play the still-segregated Crimson Tide, led by Bear Bryant. Great perspective from the USC players, and 'Bama Nation coming to grips with the reality that their idea of racial superiority was a facade.

4. The Autmn Warrior by Wilkinson. I echo what the OP says - this IS a must-read for the Golden Gopher faithful.

A couple that I liked are:

Carlisle vs ARMY

Overview: In this stunning work of narrative nonfiction, Lars Anderson recounts one of college football’s greatest contests: Carlisle vs. Army, the fateful 1912 gridiron clash that had far-reaching implications both real and symbolic.
The story centers on three men: Glenn “Pop” Warner, who came to the Carlisle Indian School in 1903 and saw beyond its assimilationist agenda, molding the Carlisle Indians into a football juggernaut and smashing prejudices along the way; Jim Thorpe, who arrived at Carlisle as a troubled teenager–only to become one of America’s finest athletes, dazzling his opponents and gaining fans across the nation; and a hardnosed Kansan back named Dwight Eisenhower, who knew that by stopping Carlisle’s amazing winning streak, he could lead the Cadets of Army to glory. But beyond recounting the tale of this momentous match, Lars Anderson reveals its broader social and historical context, offering unique perspectives on sports and culture at the dawn of the twentieth century.

and although not college this is high school football that was really good

12 Mighty Orphans

Overview: Jim Dent, author of the New York Times bestselling The Junction Boys, returns with his most powerful story of human courage and determination.

More than a century ago, a school was constructed in Fort Worth, Texas, for the purpose of housing and educating the orphans of Texas Freemasons. It was a humble project that for years existed quietly on a hillside east of town. Life at the Masonic Home was about to change, though, with the arrival of a lean, bespectacled coach by the name of Rusty Russell. Here was a man who could bring rain in the midst of a drought. Here was a man who, in virtually no time at all, brought the orphans' story into the homes of millions of Americans.

In the 1930s and 1940s, there was nothing bigger in Texas high school football than the Masonic Home Mighty Mites—a group of orphans bound together by hardship and death. These youngsters, in spite of being outweighed by at least thirty pounds per man, were the toughest football team around. They began with nothing—not even a football—yet in a few years were playing for the state championship on the highest level of Texas football. This is a winning tribute to a courageous band of underdogs from a time when America desperately needed fresh hope and big dreams.

I thought Barry Alvarez's "Don't Flinch" wasn't too bad. There is some stuff in there about specific games, complaining about the shoe scandal, and him growing up etc...but it does have some good parts about things he did to turn that program around. Like knowing he wasn't going to get a kid to commit there, but talking him into just coming for a visit, and not even having to talk to Barry or do anything with him, and then getting the kid to say some nice things about the program to the media to help sway others. How he changed the atmosphere in the football offices. How he got the whole department (coaches, admins, marketing, ticket office employees, everybody) together before the first rose bowl year to talk about working together to get this done, about not creating issues out of little things that could upset the players and throw them off their games etc. How it was having the AD and president onboard with what he was trying to do, recruiting, weekly things they did with the players to get them ready for Saturday etc.

Coach Kill referenced this book a few times during press conferences this year.

There is a brand new book titled "Three and Out" that chronicles everything that went on behind the scenes during the Rich Rodriguez era at Michigan written by somebody that had unfettered access. I haven't read it, but I heard an interview with the author and it sounded really good.

Some of My Favorite Books about College Football:

1) Rammer Jammer Yellow Hammer (2005) - by Warren St. John - Very hilarious, enjoyable read about fandom, Bama Bangs, tailgating, and the culture of football. Easy read. You'll get it done in two nights and enjoy many laughs. Would you ever skip your daughter's wedding? They do in SEC country if the wedding day is same as a BAMA game - LOL!

2) Dixieland Delight (2007) - by Clay Travis - Equally as funny book; chronicals an 8000 mile road trip through SEC country - again, interesting read with a ton of laughs!

3) Every Week A Season - Brian Curtis (2005) - Spends 9 different weeks with various programs / variety of conferences / and coaches. Looks at coaches, coaching staffs, their families, sacrifices, how they prepare, etc. Good read for coaches of football teams Varsity and Up.

4) Swing Your Sword - Mike Leach - out last summer (2011)

5) Not So Fast Sonny - Sonny Lubick & Bob Schaller (2002) - Nice biography on Sonny and CSU under him. Also learn about networking and impact coaches have on one another (networking, etc.).

6) Bowls, Polls, and Tattered Souls - Tackling Chaos Surrounding College Football - Stewart Mandel (2008) - MUST READ for people wanting to understand recruiting (what it means), the BCS, Firemycoach.com, Heisman voting, etc. Great insight to college football and I've referred to this book many times when responding to some threads.

Civil War (Feinstein) & Sweet Season (Murphy) are excellent reads as well - people have already mentioned that.

Some interesting books I've read during graduate work and aren't exclusive just to football are:

1) Fair and Foul - Beyond the Myths and Paradoxes of Sport - D. Stanley Eitzen
2) Games Colleges Play - John Thelin
3) Sports in America - James Michener
4) Sociological Dynamics of Sport and Exercise - Bryant and McElroy

I'd say the Eitzen one of those 4 was my favorite.

Thanks to those contributing to the thread. I plan on getting some of your suggested reads soon. Nice way to pass free time after the Bowl Season and prior to Spring Practice! Happy New Year to all!!

Buck

A couple of football related books that I really enjoyed are:

The Sweet Season by Austin Murphy - Follows John Gagliardi and the St. Johns football team through a football season.

Season of Life: A Football Star, a Boy, a Journey to Manhood by John Marx - Great book that should be required reading for all boys when they reach their teenage years, IMO.

Both of these books are more about life lessons than about x's and o's but they were both excellent.

Read these also. They are both excellent and I agree that it is a must read for teenage boys!!! Great suggestions. Did you see Joe Ehrman when he was in the Cities a few years back? I was unable to attend but my colleague said he did an excellent presentation on Building Young Men for Others.

Buck

Great Topic!

Here are a couple I have really enjoyed...

1. Sacred Acre: The Ed Thomas Story. This book is about Ed Thomas, high school football coach of the small town in Iowa where the Tornado hit. The "A" town escapes me, but it is A-Parkersburg. He was gunned down in the school weightroom a couple of years ago. It is a great story.

2. War As They Knew It: Bo & Woody - I am in the process of reading this book. It is pretty good, you gain a whole new understanding of the tOSU/Michigan Rivalary.

3. Urban's Way: Urban Meyer's Story. I actually liked this book and gained a new understanding and appreciation for Urban Meyer.

Instead of reading about inspirational stories and what not in every book you read, pick up Death to the BCS instead. I used to be on the fence between a playoff system and the bowl system (mainly due to the tradition), but this book will turn you into the biggest playoff proponent in the country. It's amazing how much evidence they can provide to support their opinions, and just how messed up the bowl system is.

MNfootballfan,

The "A" is for Aplington. Ed thomas was a very, very good coach and a great mentor. Four of his charges made it to the NFL after their college days: Jared Devries, Aaron Kampman, Casey Wiegman played at Iowa and Brad Meester at the University of Northern Iowa. Quite a testament to his coaching prowess and the commitment to the game by the players named and those not mentioned.

Thanks to all that have responded. I look forward to picking up and reading your recommendations!

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom