Shama: Gophers Roses Sweet, 50 Years Later

I was a young kid and am trying to remember if the game was on in color back then? I remember the TV camera's were the size of battleships. I believe Curt Gowdy or Bill Fleming did the play-by-play in both 60 and 61.

The 62 Rose Bowl was the first game in color, right?

"On Sunday it will be 50 years since the Golden Gophers last played in the Rose Bowl."

It's hard to even read past the second line of the article.

I was a young kid and am trying to remember if the game was on in color back then? I remember the TV camera's were the size of battleships. I believe Curt Gowdy or Bill Fleming did the play-by-play in both 60 and 61.

I know one of them was in color because my father-in-law, originally from Blooming Prairie (MN) had a color TV set up in his house and the entire neighborhood was over to watch. He frequently tells me that story. His dad was TV shop owner / repairman in town there so I'm sure they had one of the first RCA models.

Also have both radio broadcasts on cassette tapes. I know Gowdy is on my 1961 tapes. Problem is - I can barely find a cassette player around my house to play them anymore!

You can purchase those games - online. Bought those 1 year in my 30's and listened to them early morning on January 1st. They are great and figured at the time, it's as close as I'll get to a Rose Bowl. I still have hope though - Someday!!

Buck

Top Bottom