Doogie tweet on full-time weight training staff

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Doogie: "Wonder why some college programs trump others? Kill badly wants a 3rd full-time strength coach. Meyer will have 5 w/ the #Buckeyes. #Gophers"

Go Gophers!!

Interesting. Would be nice to have enough to compete at least.

What does a strength/conditioning staffer cost? Maybe $200k/year when you include the cost of benefits?

How much could we raise as a fan base? At least enough to buy Jerry one more?

What does a strength/conditioning staffer cost? Maybe $200k/year when you include the cost of benefits?

The number one reason we don't have a 3rd full-time coach is because of this reasoning, IMO. These coaches are not costs. They are investments. The quicker TheU's brass understands this, the quicker they'll see a return on said investments.

Not to rip on you in any way, wels.. It just grinds my gears when I see someone use the term 'cost' when something is obviously an investment (read: when something has the ability to have any sort of return financially).

This info came from today's NY Times article on Meyer's return to coaching: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/30/s...sizes-balance-pleasing-family.html?ref=sports

Some other interesting factoids:

- his chief strength coach, Mickey Marotti, has an assistant AD title and has 4 full-time football-only strength coaches who report to him

- Meyer calls the strength coach "more important than a coordinator or a line coach"

- Meyer says you "can’t function in today’s era of college football without a superstar as a weight coach"

- Meyer calls the strength coach "more important than a coordinator or a line coach"

- Meyer says you "can’t function in today’s era of college football without a superstar as a weight coach"

Sounds very familiar to what Coach Kill said to us when he was first hired.

wels0081 said:

I would bet you could find three more FT staffers for about $250k. These would be staffers, not at Coach Kleins pay grade. Does anyone know what we have invested in the head strength and conditioning coach?

Ridiculous.

There will be more strength coaches on the team than people who know calculus.

Strength coaches are the only coaches allowed to coach during the offseason and summer, that is why they are so important.

It just grinds my gears...

Think of this every time I hear it:

what-grinds-my-gears.jpg

Here are the following schools with weight staffs.

1. Wisconsin

2. Iowa

3. Minnesota

If OSU has 5 coaches just for football that is saying a lot to their players. They are making a commitment to the fb program.

There was a third strength & conditioning coach hired earlier in the month:

http://www.footballscoop.com/strength-scoop?start=5

Minnesota: Shea Thompson has been hired as an assistant strength and conditioning coach. Thompson previously worked at the USOC training center, as well as with the Northern Illinois strength and conditioning staff.

The NCAA has been looking into imposing limits on the number of support staff personnel a team can have to avoid situations like this where a school like OSU can go out and hire a ton of people and make everyone else in the conference try to follow suit. I know there are some proposals out there to limit the number of Operations, Recruiting, Strength, Video and other misc support staff personnel in an effort to make things uniform across the board and keep teams from having an advantage in the number of full time employees they can have on staff.

Note to Bleed:

Thanks for starting this thread. These are the type of issues that are not covered enough, especially by the main stream media.

Note to Bleed:

Thanks for starting this thread. These are the type of issues that are not covered enough, especially by the main stream media.

Patrick Re-Use is working on a story about how the strength and conditioning was so much better years ago because the only coaches were from southwestern Minnesota and they trained the town-team baseball squad.

Note to Bleed:

I think the main stream media is also failing to cover the recruits Kill is missing on.

Patrick Re-Use is working on a story about how the strength and conditioning was so much better years ago because the only coaches were from southwestern Minnesota and they trained the town-team baseball squad.
And they used steroids.

The number one reason we don't have a 3rd full-time coach is because of this reasoning, IMO. These coaches are not costs. They are investments. The quicker TheU's brass understands this, the quicker they'll see a return on said investments.Not to rip on you in any way, wels.. It just grinds my gears when I see someone use the term 'cost' when something is obviously an investment (read: when something has the ability to have any sort of return financially).

Right on Formo.

Thanks to Mr. Kaler. I hope this is one of many items that he will focus on to improve the football program. He understands the value a solid football program has to a university.

More please!

this is actually pretty funny........because it so accurately portrays the stupid, little sports world that idiot fat pat reusse lives in.

Over 20 posts about a tweet from Doogie, and no one has criticized Doogie yet. Gotta be some kind of record.

I guess that's our Christmas gift to Doogie.

Over 20 posts about a tweet from Doogie, and no one has criticized Doogie yet. Gotta be some kind of record.

I guess that's our Christmas gift to Doogie.
"I think the main stream media is also failing to cover the recruits Kill is missing on."
Does that count? Referencing the basketball discussion where he said mainstream media isn't covering all the recruits that Tubby has missed on.

Top Bottom