Reusse Writing the Facts

When will people learn to ignore Patti? He's still smarting from being bullied on the playground as a young child. It's called inferiority complex. I'm banking on Patti's various psychological disorders coupled with his fat azz to help me win the 2012 Dead Pool. Go Patti and Go Gophers!

The 50 years of frustration is compounded by the past 50 years of U of M Presidents. The Malcom Moos, Nils Hasselmo. Ken Keller, C.Peter Magrath, of the world didn't exactly jump up and down on the podium in demanding a competitive football program. They were knee deep in making Minnesota the " Stanford of the Midwest" Ken Keller was probably the worst. This Prez and his wife spent 6 figures on a complete makeover of the mansion in St. Paul, even after it had been done a few years earlier. The Strib actually snooped it out and Keller took some heat on it from the regents.

Dear Pat,

You have written Gopher football articles like this for sometime to no avail. Instead of rehashing the same old negative articles why don't you do some research and figure out what the Gopher football program should do to get better? It kind of is a new concept. How about we see you try it for once? Do I think you will? Nope. Sad because you are sometimes smart. Ha.

didn't realize this was the job of s sports writer. maybe the Unveristy should do this job. such as the Board of Regents, President and the athletic department. that would be a new concept.

didn't realize this was the job of s sports writer. maybe the Unveristy should do this job. such as the Board of Regents, President and the athletic department. that would be a new concept.

I agree it is not the job of Pat. If cares about Gopher fb like I do maybe he would actually figure out some ideas and try to help the Gopher fb team.

I agree it is not the job of Pat. If cares about Gopher fb like I do maybe he would actually figure out some ideas and try to help the Gopher fb team.
My idea, find a really big donor, offer Nick Saban 10 million a year.

I would say that roughly 100% of the sports opinion columnist in the world write about how a team can/may be improved, in their opinion. See...that's their job. Pat is too lazy to do even that. And no, I would not consider calling a certain hiring or play call horrendous to be that type of analysis.

The 50 years of frustration is compounded by the past 50 years of U of M Presidents. The Malcom Moos, Nils Hasselmo. Ken Keller, C.Peter Magrath, of the world didn't exactly jump up and down on the podium in demanding a competitive football program. They were knee deep in making Minnesota the " Stanford of the Midwest" Ken Keller was probably the worst. This Prez and his wife spent 6 figures on a complete makeover of the mansion in St. Paul, even after it had been done a few years earlier. The Strib actually snooped it out and Keller took some heat on it from the regents.

Ruppert you provided the main reason for 50 years of frustration. I believe it all started with Malcom Moos. He actually advocated abandoning divsion one and joining the University of Chicago model. It was about 1971 and off campus it seemed unbelievable, but his Ivory Tower approach rang true on campus. He set the denial of funding, and support in motion. This contrary to the landscape of college athletics. McGrath was no fan of athletics, and then Keller. 3 great reasons. But any discussion of why we could not compete must start with Malcom Moos.

On his radio show Reusse used to disparage other sports writers who took the easy route with their columns and articles. Pat always took pride in taking the road less traveled. That Reusse has disappeared from the scene. For all practical purposes Reusse has all but retired while still collecting a substantial salary from his employers. It is not a pretty sight for long time Reusse fans like me.

Ruppert you provided the main reason for 50 years of frustration. I believe it all started with Malcom Moos. He actually advocated abandoning divsion one and joining the University of Chicago model. It was about 1971 and off campus it seemed unbelievable, but his Ivory Tower approach range true on campus. He set the denial of funding, and support in motion. This contrary to the landscape of college athletics. McGrath was no fan of athletics, and then Keller. 3 great reasons. But any discussion of why we could not compete must start with Malcom Moos.

Agree Husker, he started the wheel that put us in a 40 year funk.

You have selective hearing if you think Reusse only picks on the Gophers.
my God, who are you? some lap-dog assistant to the idiot newspaper and radio hacks in this town who they pay to defend their honor on sports message boards? honestly never seen someone so staunchly defend time and time again (even when they deserve to be called out as the complete jerks they are) such a bunch of pathetic losers like fat pat reusse, jerky jim souhan, barreiro, tom powers, et. al. :rolleyes:

my guess is you work in media somewhere close to these guys and have a relationship with them. hence your reasoning for defending supposed journalistic "honor", of which none of them have.

While I find it appropriate to recognize the 50th anniversary of our last great win, there wasn't much here. OK. We stink. All of the stuff citing the last two years is pretty meaningless.

I wish Reusse would just stop commenting on the Gophers. His articles on them are quite pointless and a waste of column space. There are plenty of sports to focus on. Besides, its time for Mr. Debby Downer to put his wig away and write something worth reading for once...

Fat Pat is an ink-stained wretch who is bitter that there are bloggers out there with more substantive stuff to write about the Gophers, and are a part of what's slowly killing off the newspaper that feeds him. If he reads Gopherhole on occasion as he suggests, he knows this.

I agree with those who suggest this was a 'mail-it-in' article he had in the file cabinet, for use when he was feeling extra lazy. But is there any doubt that had the Gophers made the Little Cesar's or Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl, that he'd be putting out this same article, with a few minor changes, grousing about how Minnesota can't make higher profile bowls. He could probably cut and paste that part from some columns he wrote during the Mason-era.

I really don't understand what his agenda is. It feels like he's just out to turn the average MSP market fan into refusing to care about the State's flagship university's teams.

Untimely column. Snooze.

Compared to his peers, Reusse is a literary titan. I see no reason to bash his gifts.

yawn

Reusse writes the same article several times per year. Everyone already knows everything he put in his most recent piece. There was no perspective, no insight, no analysis... just a regurgitation of the painfully obvious. That's BAD writing.

Typical, blame and get mad at the writer/paper and not the program/school.

All the coaches and players since the last Rose Bowl have wanted to win big and often. One missing part: the UM Administration and Regents.

I will say this one more time.

Until the UM Administration decides it will make the UM football program one of the cornerstones of the UM and fully understands the full value that a successful football program brings to a university, it ain't gonna happen!

The point is that we have sucked for a long time and no one other then the 25,000 diehards care. It is a crucial time for this program in 2012.

No, that is not the point. The point is that the only way Reusse knows how to write is in the negative. The only way anyone will read an article of his is if he tries to piss people off. It's sensational journalism and for guys like him it's all they know how to do. He's a disgrace to the state of Minnesota, and he's not the only one in the twin cities. If you want to write an article like this then have the courage to be a little more specific. Ofcourse that would be too much work for a pudgy guy like Reusse who has no athletic acumen whatsoever.

Typical, blame and get mad at the writer/paper and not the program/school.

What the hell are you talking about? So if I come on here every week for forever and remind you how bad your post sucks, how long will it take before you realize I'm an a-hole?

That's why we think Reusse's Frank Burns with a word processor.

station19 said:
+19

Some people just like to whine. Fliar Spud comes to mind.

Hey check this out Station19 (Reusse's lap dog) defending Patrick again. In every Patrick thread he jumps to his defense and unloads on Gopherholers criticizing Patrick. I bet he really is Reusse!!

I would say that roughly 100% of the sports opinion columnist in the world write about how a team can/may be improved, in their opinion. See...that's their job. Pat is too lazy to do even that. And no, I would not consider calling a certain hiring or play call horrendous to be that type of analysis.

to write about it yes but the post I was referring to was indicating that a sports opinion columnist should be part of the solution and that is not their job that is the job of the powers that be at the University

First time I can remember that a Reusse rip job isn't listed in the Strib's "most popular" stories rankings.

to write about it yes but the post I was referring to was indicating that a sports opinion columnist should be part of the solution and that is not their job that is the job of the powers that be at the University
The post you are referring to said that Pat should OFFER his solution, not be a part of the solution.

Hey check this out Station19 (Reusse's lap dog) defending Patrick again. In every Patrick thread he jumps to his defense and unloads on Gopherholers criticizing Patrick. I bet he really is Reusse!!

Wrong again, I'm not Ruesse. Not defending him just pointing out how juvenile some posters are.

Cry and whine if it makes you feel better.

No one is crying, no one is whining. People are simply responding to the unending litany of cheap shots, they way they would respond in every other market.

It is more difficult for a program to avoid a bowl than it is to make one. Watching the Alamo Bowl, I learned that Baylor didn't go to a bowl game for 16 years. Washington didn't make one for eight seasons. And they were the best team in the land in 1991. Missing a bowl in a new coach's first season isnt' really cause for alarm.

Maybe after 50 years we SHOULD be all "stirred up..." over the Gopher Football Programs long WILDERNESS WALK? Maybe we DO need to go out and FIRE somebody at the University of Minnesota or at least quit "flat-lining our passions and frustrations about the lack of pride for our football program for the past fifty years over in the athletic offices at the U of M...

; 0 (

Yeah, because getting all stirred up and take torches and pitchforks to any admin at the U will fix our football program's woes.. :rolleyes:

There's a new era starting up. As of right now, we'll have to play the 'wait and see' game with coach Kill's program. The only time we do what wren is suggesting is if the Kill regime doesn't work out and we continue to have an AD who can't/won't push for a good hire. And again, even that won't mean the problem won't be fixed.

Right now what the program needs is less apathy from the general crowd (read: your casual sports page readers), which Fat Pat is NOT helping with.

And to be fair, I'm only sourpuss on Pat/Souhan and any other old foogies writing for the local rags not just because they are cynical (justifiably so, they've been through much more heartbreak than I), and not because they refuse to give any answers.. but because there are bloggers now days that not only can write just as well, but they actually give answers and have -=gasp!=- SUBSTANCE to their work!!

I'll take an Emann or MVofDT over ANY local writers now days (and this includes Doogie, and I don't have anything bad to say about him).

The post you are referring to said that Pat should OFFER his solution, not be a part of the solution.

again not his job or any other sports columnist to OFFER anything in a way of a solution. can they do this if they want? sure they can. it is an opinion piece they can write whatever they want. though offering a solution to help make any program better is not a requirement of their job.

Top Bottom