Mike Gundy

Not sure the comparison works unless the Gophers have a T Boone Pickens that has not identified himself yet.

The system comparison may be valid but if you look at those recruiting classes they all have a handful of 4 star and highly ranked 3 star guys so clearly he was bringing in fairly high rated talent to run those systems.

The system comparison may be valid but if you look at those recruiting classes they all have a handful of 4 star and highly ranked 3 star guys so clearly he was bringing in fairly high rated talent to run those systems.
I don't think OSU's systems is comparable to ours....

I don't think OSU's systems is comparable to ours....

The article talked about Gundy's systems being the reason they could keep getting better every year despite not bringing in the highest ranked classes. That is what we are hoping to have with Kill as well. Different systems to be sure but the system approach of being able to plug holes because you know what you are looking for. My point was that Gundy might not be doing it with top 10 recruiting classes but by comparison to ours he is bringing in quite a bit of talent.

The article talked about Gundy's systems being the reason they could keep getting better every year despite not bringing in the highest ranked classes. That is what we are hoping to have with Kill as well. Different systems to be sure but the system approach of being able to plug holes because you know what you are looking for. My point was that Gundy might not be doing it with top 10 recruiting classes but by comparison to ours he is bringing in quite a bit of talent.
Oh alright, I thought people were saying the systems themselves are similar.

I agree. It's not a very apt comparison because, despite not recruiting on the level of Oklahoma and Texas (very few schools do), Oklahoma St. brings in much better classes than Minnesota:

Oklahoma St. avg star rating since 2005 (year of Gundy's hire): 2.76, 3.03, 3.04, 3.04, 2.96, 3.19, 2.96, 3.13*
Minnesota avg star rating since 2005 (year of Gundy's hire): 2.67, 2.23, 2.46, 3.07, 3.05, 2.88, 2.79, 2.68*

*in progress

OSU: mean 3.01, median 3.04, high 3.13, low 2.76
Minn: mean 2.73, median 2.74, high 3.07, low 2.23

In other words, Minnesota's best years were slightly better than an average year for OSU, while OSU's worst year was slightly better than average for Minnesota. I don't think a lot of people appreciate just how poorly Minnesota has recruited during the Rivals era outside of the 2008 and 2009 classes.

Top Bottom