Robert Gregory now has the Gophers as #1

Bayfieldgopher

Reaction score
6-3/183/4.65/listed as 3* Dual Threat QB is no longer interested in Arkansas and says we are on top of his list. He may set up a Purdue visit but has no offer. His offers to date are Minnesota, Arkansas, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas and E. Michigan.

6-3/183/4.65/listed as 3* Dual Threat QB is no longer interested in Arkansas and says we are on top of his list. He may set up a Purdue visit but has no offer. His offers to date are Minnesota, Arkansas, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas and E. Michigan.
He would be a fantastic get. Great athlete.

Wide receiver at the next level? Or do you think a school would give him a shot at QB before make a position change? Either way, we need more athletes like this!

I can see him as a slot reciever/wildcat QB.

Reel him in coach.

First sentence of his ESPN eval

Gregory is a dual-threat quarterback at the high school level and could remain under center if in a shotgun spread scheme with a run first mentality, but he is also a better athlete right now that he is a passer and with his size and athleticism

Does that not sound exactly like the kind of player Kill is looking for? I bet the next sentence is about how much he loves to go to class. Come on Gregory, become a Gopher for christmas!

Let's hope for an early Christmas present but I'll settle for a late gift if Robert picks the U of M.

Go Gophers!

My thoughts exactly. We are going to be so deep at QB over the next years it will be ridiculous!

It is a huge jump from High School to college especially for a QB so while we certainly have some promising players coming in at the QB position I would not call the position deep quite yet.

As for Gregory he looks like a great athlete that could project at a couple of different positions so there is always a place for guys like that on the team. Would love to see him commit to MN but I could see him being a guy that takes things down to the end on his college choice.

First sentence of his ESPN eval

Does that not sound exactly like the kind of player Kill is looking for? I bet the next sentence is about how much he loves to go to class. Come on Gregory, become a Gopher for christmas!
And after that, it talks about all of the volunteering he has done throughout his life and how he hopes to continue that where he goes to school. Lol.

I don't think we are very deep. Outside of gray I have yet to see one player we know for sure can play qb in the big ten at even a mediocre level.

I don't think we are very deep. Outside of gray I have yet to see one player we know for sure can play qb in the big ten at even a mediocre level.

Assuming Nelson will be our next QB is premature. If Gregory is a Gopher, I expect Coach Kill to give him an equal opportunity. Competition and depth is a very good thing.

How can you get any deeper than we are at QB? Admittedly there is only one football to go around. How can anyone miss the depth?

Can we all relax on the whole QB depth idea. Kill is recruiting athletes and football players. They have an idea where they might play, but I'm pretty sure Kill and staff have made it clear that position changes are possible and may be in the best interest of the team and the player getting to the next level. Hell, Nelson could end up being a killer MLB before his five years are up. We just don't know. Athletes, Athletes, and more Athletes...that is what we need. QB's are athletes and have good football smarts. Anthony Montgomery even played some QB in HS.

My thoughts exactly. We are going to be so deep at QB over the next years it will be ridiculous!

What I meant was that whether we were deep or not, that the posts would get ridiculous. Hmmm...having 9 QBs on the roster would not be "deep"? I wasn't talking superstars top to bottom here. Let's say 5 stay at QB (we'll throw out Lueck and Gray as SR next year, and one more guy leaves), Kill will still recruit QBs for 2013. We will always have 5-6 QBs as QBs on the roster. It's the Kill way. He'd rather have 5 guys he can count on than 2 solid QBs and everyone else moving to another position. We are DEEP at QB.

What we have at QB are numbers, what we hope that translates to is depth.

Gray - #1 starter proved he can be a decent starter, hopefully takes another step in development
Shortell - showed some ability but most feel is not a good fit for Kill's offense
Parish - Passed by Shortell, possible transfer
Alipte - Passed by Shortell doesn't seem to be in the mix at all
Foreman - We really know next to nothing about him and his prospects at QB
Lueck - Not an option as a starter at QB

What we hope to add to that
Nelson - The hopefully QB of the future assuming he lives up to the hype
Leidner - Another kid that looks the part in high school however speculation is he could end up at TE
Gregory - Not a sure thing to commit but also projects as a possible WR

When I look at that list I see a decent situation for next season as long as Gray stays healthy. As for the 2013 season a ton is going to hinge on Nelson being the player we all think he can be and also on what happens with the other guys on the list in terms of transfers and position changes.

What we have at QB are numbers, what we hope that translates to is depth.

Agree. It's too early to talk about being deep at a position where we have two guys with B1G game experience. Deep relates to the number of guys ready to play at a certain level, not the total number of guys we have. Once Nelson, Shortell and any other backup show they can play at a high level with very little drop off from Gray, then we can say with confidence that we have depth at the position. Until then, I'm glad we have some good potential talent coming in that gives me hope that we will have some depth over the next few years.

I'm somewhat stunned. Look at your own signature... Stunned.

Can we all relax on the whole QB depth idea. Kill is recruiting athletes and football players. They have an idea where they might play, but I'm pretty sure Kill and staff have made it clear that position changes are possible and may be in the best interest of the team and the player getting to the next level. Hell, Nelson could end up being a killer MLB before his five years are up. We just don't know. Athletes, Athletes, and more Athletes...that is what we need. QB's are athletes and have good football smarts. Anthony Montgomery even played some QB in HS.

So did Bobby Bell.

Cooled on Gregory? He was just here for an OV in December.

Top Bottom