Pitt Post Gazette: Chryst to be named HC at Pitt

Yeah, there is virtually zero chance Houston de-commits to WI.
I don't follow California HS football enough to know if he is really good or not, I assume he is, he's rated high and went to a good football school. I have a good friend who has seen him play a couple times, and he said he's good. The difference in caliber of competition between Nelson and Houston makes it almost impossible to compare the two kids (stats---Nelson by a mile, caliber of competition -- Houston by a mile).

The question with Houston is his team runs the veer. Unless Don Morton comes back, he will have to learn an entirely new offense. He was something like 39-1 as a starter, but as you stated, the stats are not there because they very rarely threw the ball. The program he played at is one of the most successful programs in the country, let alone CA.

He performed very well when throwing at the Elite 11 camps, but how that translates is really anyone's guess. He certainly has all the intangibles going for him.

Will be fun to watch him develop.

So to the Badger regulars around here. Who is the likely starter at QB for the Badgers next year? Budmayr? Phillips, if he can stay healthy? Because all of the guys on the roster looked pretty awful in the spring game.

Another way of looking at it, does he want to work for a A-hole, or a nice guy.

Bostad has had ample opportunities to leave the UW. I know you guys hate Bielema, primarily because he doesn't lose to your team. But his coaches like him fine. So does Jerry Kill.

I also get a kick out of the imminent doom predictions. You guys look for a new reason every year to console your butt hurt.

So to the Badger regulars around here. Who is the likely starter at QB for the Badgers next year? Budmayr? Phillips, if he can stay healthy? Because all of the guys on the roster looked pretty awful in the spring game.

It would be just a guess. Have to see who gets healthy. But you have to guess Stave and Brennan have the leg up today.

Happness is....

Badger_inohiovalley

This user is on your Ignore List.

To second what BIOV said, most think it will be Stave.

Chryst will take one coach, but not both. BB will name either Rudolph or Bostad as his OC. While Bostad is one of the top 2-3 OL coaches in the country, Rudolph is too valuable as a recruiter.

I want him to keep Rudolph. He's a rising star in the coaching community. We'll lose him soon enough as well, but the way he recruits PA & OH, he's too valuable in the short term.

We're anxious to see who the new QB coach will be. There were a few good candidates available.

I've never met Paul Chryst, but I did know his father George, who was the long-time head coach at D3 UW-Platteville. He was one of the nicest people I've ever met in sports. From all accounts, his son is a lot like him - low-key, but honest and personable.

I hope Chryst does well at Pitt - and it will be interesting to see what direction BB takes at Wisconsin. Wisky has certainly benefitted from having a stable and experienced staff. Let's see what happens when BB has to bring in his "own" people. (I wonder how involved Barry Alvarez will be in 'helping' BB with the coaching search.)

I'm not sure I understand this quote. Their all BB's people and now it's the second coach he's had move to a Head Coach position so clearly the guy knows what he's doing.

I wonder if Brooks Bollinger gets a sniff as a QB coach, though he is definitely under qualified on the coaching side of things.

Please, no! I like him just fine here on the Eastside, thank you very much.

Not to hijack, but how did Brooks/Hill Murray do this year?

Lost in the state semifinals. The game turned into a high scoring shoot-out and Rocori (eventual champions) just managed to edge us out in a game that could have went either way. Seeing how my senior season at Hill consisted of us getting blown out by 50 in our homecoming, just three years ago, I'd say that is quite an improvement.

He said he was coming back next season but obviously any significant college coaching offers would change that.

To second what BIOV said, most think it will be Stave.

Chryst will take one coach, but not both. BB will name either Rudolph or Bostad as his OC. While Bostad is one of the top 2-3 OL coaches in the country, Rudolph is too valuable as a recruiter.

I want him to keep Rudolph. He's a rising star in the coaching community. We'll lose him soon enough as well, but the way he recruits PA & OH, he's too valuable in the short term.

We're anxious to see who the new QB coach will be. There were a few good candidates available.
Chryst has already offered two coaches, BB didn't give any names, but speculation is that they are Bostad and Rudolph.

Chryst had a nice contract at UW for a coordinator. Assuming the next guy is cheaper, I suspect that UW will be able to redirect some of that difference, along with the typical post Rose Bowl raises, toward the offensive assistants.

I only see others leaving for one of two reasons, they are named the new OC at Pitt, or they are passed over in the reshuffling at UW. I don't think anyone will leave for money.

Coach Brew................new OC at Wisconsin. That would be tremendous!

I wonder if Benedict Hamhock will be the new OC at either Wisconsin or Pitt. Maybe with the pay increase he'll be able to afford the extra-lean chuck for his thrice-daily cheeseburger.

Coach Brew................new OC at Wisconsin. That would be tremendous!

Hahaha Would love to see Brew on Beilema's staff, although he'd probably be relegated to water boy or video coordinator. Those two still hate each other.

Interesting. Chryst and Bielema duking it out for Wisky's top two assistant coaches;

Bostad; Wisky's O-line coach/Running game coordinator
Rudolph; Wisky's TE coach, but allegedly their best recruiter

http://www.buckys5thquarter.com/2011/12/22/2656841/bielema-chryst-in-battle-for-bostad-rudolph

Logic tells me he gets one but not both. I'm torn, but I think I would prefer he took Bostad with him over Rudolph. Bostad is much more integral to what happens from a coaching standpoint and I never really thought Wisky recruited that well anyway. Seems like they typically get the non-blue chippers and coach them up.

My guess is one ends up the OC at Pitt and one ends up the new OC at Wisky, but who knows. Must make practice interesting these days.

Interesting. Chryst and Bielema duking it out for Wisky's top two assistant coaches;

Bostad; Wisky's O-line coach/Running game coordinator
Rudolph; Wisky's TE coach, but allegedly their best recruiter

http://www.buckys5thquarter.com/2011/12/22/2656841/bielema-chryst-in-battle-for-bostad-rudolph

Logic tells me he gets one but not both. I'm torn, but I think I would prefer he took Bostad with him over Rudolph. Bostad is much more integral to what happens from a coaching standpoint and I never really thought Wisky recruited that well anyway. Seems like they typically get the non-blue chippers and coach them up.

My guess is one ends up the OC at Pitt and one ends up the new OC at Wisky, but who knows. Must make practice interesting these days.

Bostad and Rudolph are probably not picking up any lunch or dinner checks.

I just checked Bostad's bio and I never realized that he was a grad assistant for us during Wacker's tenure.

Good move for both Chryst and Bostad and I doubt it has anything to do other than these guys have paid their dues in their previous roles and are ready to move up.

Chryst pedigree

In watching the Chryst introductory presser at Pitt, it was interesting who he thanked. He thanked Neelan at WVU where he was an UA for teaching him about class and doing things the right way. He thanked Riley at OregonState for teaching him a lot about the game and learning to study it. He thanked Barry Alvarez for teaching him how to run a program. Then, he finally thanks "Bret" for basically letting him leave. Apparently Belima couldn't teach him anything, and had no tangible contribution to his development for the HC position at Pitt. Not surprising at all, but it was interesting to see what he would say.

Rudolph staying at WI for OC job...

He has actually been promoted to OL coach, not offensive coordinator, yet. I personally don't think it is conducive or makes sense to have the OL coach be the OC as well. In a perfect world I'd like my QB coach to be my OC. I'm not saying it's impossible to have an OL coach be an OC, but I'd much rather have my OC spending all his positional meeting time with the QBs than with the OLine.

As for Chryst's presser and not thanking Bielema- I've watched the entire thing and didn't get that impression. Yes, PC most definitely was influenced more by Riley and BA than Bielema, but watching the presser it came off nothing like you explained it. But as BB is public enemy #1 around here I am not surprised.

Top Bottom