Pitt Post Gazette: Chryst to be named HC at Pitt

I could care less about Chryst or Pitt in general but I hope for the sake of those players that he sticks around there for a while. Those players don't deserve to get caught in the circus that job has become over the past year.

I'm happy for Chryst, he's a good coach and well deserving of a head coaching opportunity. I don't mind seeing him leave Wisconsin either. I wonder if they will give Thomas Hammock a shot at the OC spot.

mkAZ....I think that is precisely why he went to WI.

I echo MNVC's comments, that program deserves someone who will stick.

I'm happy for Chryst, he's a good coach and well deserving of a head coaching opportunity. I don't mind seeing him leave Wisconsin either. I wonder if they will give Thomas Hammock a shot at the OC spot.

I think it will be offered to Bostad the OL coach or Partridge the TEs coach before they offered it to Hammock. It will be interesting to see if PC tries to bring any coaches with him to Pitt. I would assume that his brother Geep will be named OC/QB coach at Pitt, so for UW's sake I hope neither Bostad or Rudolph join PC at Pitt with lateral moves.

It will be interesting to see what happens to UW's offense. They'll always be a run first team, but not many are as good as Paul Chryst. People here always like to take shots at UW's offense as simple and boring, but a close observer would realize that PC is an incredibly innovative and talented play caller. He'll definitely be missed at Wisconsin.

I wonder if Brooks Bollinger gets a sniff as a QB coach, though he is definitely under qualified on the coaching side of things.

I respect Chryst, and am happy to see him go, I hope he takes Les Bostad with him. I'll be toasting his departure. I believe, that Mario Christobal's hesitation at leaving Florida, is what swung things Chryst's way. Pitt's program needs stability, which might have been shaky, with Christobal.

Sweet! Been waiting for Chryst to leave. I like Chryst leaving Wisconsin. Let's see how Bulemic does without Chryst.

Wisconsin's best coach...gone. Time to celebrate!

Agreed. He's done very well at Wisconsin and I wish him the best at Pitt. It doesn't appear that he's that creative, but he is in his own way. He has incorporated a lot of little wrinkles into the Badgers' straightforward approach and most of them work quite well.

I think he'll do well at Pitt. He is in a great area for recruiting big,ugly, linemen. My guess is the Pitt offense will mirror the Badgers. Good get for Pitt. Not so good for BB. I think BB has been riding on Chryst's coattails since he became head coach.

I've always liked Chryst. I realize football (from high school to the pros) is going the other way, but I once heard a quote from Chryst that I love. He was asked how many times he'd like to call a pass play during a game and he said, "Ideally, zero."

I've always liked Chryst. I realize football (from high school to the pros) is going the other way, but I once heard a quote from Chryst that I love. He was asked how many times he'd like to call a pass play during a game and he said, "Ideally, zero."
I think most Badger fans would have preferred that he remember this quote while playcalling that 2 pt conversion against TCU. :)

Cut the head off the snake... hope PC takes Bostad with him and Hammock becomes the OC. We can watch their program descend into the irrelevence that it was for its first 100 years.

I've never met Paul Chryst, but I did know his father George, who was the long-time head coach at D3 UW-Platteville. He was one of the nicest people I've ever met in sports. From all accounts, his son is a lot like him - low-key, but honest and personable.

I hope Chryst does well at Pitt - and it will be interesting to see what direction BB takes at Wisconsin. Wisky has certainly benefitted from having a stable and experienced staff. Let's see what happens when BB has to bring in his "own" people. (I wonder how involved Barry Alvarez will be in 'helping' BB with the coaching search.)

According to a Pitt blog, Chryst is likely to bring Bob Bostad and Joe Rudolph with him.

I hope this is true, but I would imagine Barry and his flunkie BB will do whatever they have to in order to keep Bostad. If I'm Chryst though, he'll want to bring Bostad with him just as bad.

The other question, is there any chance that Chryst takes Bart Houston with him to Pitt? Unlikely, but from what I heard Chryst was the main guy that recruited Houston.

If Bostad has the chance to become OC at Pitt, there is probably a strong chance it happens. I doubt he leaves for a lateral move.

As for Bart Houston, it's probably more likely that he stays on the West Coast as opposed to going to Pitt if he changes his mind.

If Bostad has the chance to become OC at Pitt, there is probably a strong chance it happens. I doubt he leaves for a lateral move.

As for Bart Houston, it's probably more likely that he stays on the West Coast as opposed to going to Pitt if he changes his mind.

My thinking was that Bostad could be offered the OC for Wisky if he stays. So his choice MIGHT be whether to take the OC at Pitt with Chryst, or stay at Wisky for the OC gig there. Time will tell...

My thinking was that Bostad could be offered the OC for Wisky if he stays. So his choice MIGHT be whether to take the OC at Pitt with Chryst, or stay at Wisky for the OC gig there. Time will tell...
Another way of looking at it, does he want to work for a A-hole, or a nice guy.

My thinking was that Bostad could be offered the OC for Wisky if he stays.
Been skimming posts at Bucky's 5th Quarter to see what they are thinking and that was the take by their front pagers as well.

GV~
Who would you like to see take Chrysts place? Internal candidate (e.g. Bostad) or national search?

Houston has already stated he is going to Wisconsin even with Chryst leaving. That is bad news for the Badgers and good news for many on this board that believe he is a middling QB recruit with no major offers. Tough break for UW.

GV~
Who would you like to see take Chrysts place? Internal candidate (e.g. Bostad) or national search?

I would like to see an internal candidate. They are going to have to bring in a QB coach or some type of other offensive assistant and I would expect a national search for that job.

The way Alvarez campaigned for Chryst to get this job, I have to believe they have an agreement on who Chryst can and can't take from the staff. I think they saw the move as inevitable and have had a plan in place for quite some time.

Bielema has brought in everyone on the staff. The only holdover from Alvarez was Chryst and his first year was Barry's last year so he knew what was going on when he was hired. The notion that the staff is all of Barry's guys or has been together forever is not true. In fact the opposite is true. The first thing Brett did when he was hired was get rid of all of Barry's guys.

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out. Change can often be a good thing and the program is very stable right now. With Chryst gone, there will be plenty of money to keep anyone that they want to stay. I would expect everyone already knows what their role is going to be. Going to be a fun off season.

Houston has already stated he is going to Wisconsin even with Chryst leaving. That is bad news for the Badgers and good news for many on this board that believe he is a middling QB recruit with no major offers. Tough break for UW.

Yeah, there is virtually zero chance Houston de-commits to WI.
I don't follow California HS football enough to know if he is really good or not, I assume he is, he's rated high and went to a good football school. I have a good friend who has seen him play a couple times, and he said he's good. The difference in caliber of competition between Nelson and Houston makes it almost impossible to compare the two kids (stats---Nelson by a mile, caliber of competition -- Houston by a mile).

I think it will be offered to Bostad the OL coach or Partridge the TEs coach before they offered it to Hammock. It will be interesting to see if PC tries to bring any coaches with him to Pitt. I would assume that his brother Geep will be named OC/QB coach at Pitt, so for UW's sake I hope neither Bostad or Rudolph join PC at Pitt with lateral moves.

It will be interesting to see what happens to UW's offense. They'll always be a run first team, but not many are as good as Paul Chryst. People here always like to take shots at UW's offense as simple and boring, but a close observer would realize that PC is an incredibly innovative and talented play caller. He'll definitely be missed at Wisconsin.

I wonder if Brooks Bollinger gets a sniff as a QB coach, though he is definitely under qualified on the coaching side of things.

I agree with you 100% There aren't many better (if any) offensive coordinators in college football than PC.

Top Bottom