All Things TV Series Recommendations/Reviews

Glad to hear. We dropped our cable, so I haven't seen any of the new episodes. Waiting for it to air on PBS. All they said in the trailer is that it's coming "soon".

Sherlock started on PBS last night. I haven't watched the episode yet, but we did DVR it.

Go Gophers!!

Sherlock started on PBS last night. I haven't watched the episode yet, but we did DVR it.

Go Gophers!!
Thanks for the tip. I checked the schedule and it looks like Episode 1 airs again tonight!

Watched the first two episodes of HBO's "True Detective" last night. So far, I'm all in. Very intriguing, very interesting, doesn't lead you by the hand and try to lay everything out for you in the first episode; in that respect, written similar to The Wire. I like it a lot, wish it was going to be more than 8 episodes, but sometimes less is more, right?

Finished plowing through Breaking Bad over the weekend, having started right about Christmas. Not a bad show but I just don't get the hoopla. Doesn't seem to me to be a very "smart" show? Maybe that's not the right choice of words but I was rarely, if ever deeply invested in the show and rarely was there a time that I just couldn't wait to see what happened next. Maybe the best way to put it is the character development was never remotely there for me, who knows. I'm far from a theater/cinema critic but it just wasn't that great of a show to me. The wife disliked it even more than me.

Two episodes into True Detective and I'm already fascinated more than BB ever had me engaged. Looking forward to seeing how this unfolds.

Finished plowing through Breaking Bad over the weekend, having started right about Christmas. Not a bad show but I just don't get the hoopla. Doesn't seem to me to be a very "smart" show? Maybe that's not the right choice of words but I was rarely, if ever deeply invested in the show and rarely was there a time that I just couldn't wait to see what happened next. Maybe the best way to put it is the character development was never remotely there for me, who knows. I'm far from a theater/cinema critic but it just wasn't that great of a show to me. The wife disliked it even more than me.
You watched the entire series in less than a month? Maybe that's why you didn't like it. You didn't have time to let the story arcs and character developments sink in. Cramming it all in such a short timeframe likely lost a lot of the suspense and you may have overlooked some things.

DVD's and Netflix are fun for working through a serious, but there's something to be said for spacing out a show. My wife and I Netflix'ed the first few seasons of Breaking Bad, and then watched the last two as they aired on TV. I think I enjoyed watching it weekly more. You're able to dissect, digest and appreciate the show more that way, IMO.

There isn't one show, besides Community, right now that I really watch. A dead zone of sorts until Feb. I think?
Really? I thought you had more discerning taste. Parks & Rec and Modern Family are consistently solid network comedies. I like the new Michael J Fox show.

You watched the entire series in less than a month? Maybe that's why you didn't like it. You didn't have time to let the story arcs and character developments sink in. Cramming it all in such a short timeframe likely lost a lot of the suspense and you may have overlooked some things.

DVD's and Netflix are fun for working through a serious, but there's something to be said for spacing out a show. My wife and I Netflix'ed the first few seasons of Breaking Bad, and then watched the last two as they aired on TV. I think I enjoyed watching it weekly more. You're able to dissect, digest and appreciate the show more that way, IMO.

Poppycock!!!!

My admin girl is still just appalled that I didn't think it was the greatest thing to ever grace my TV screen. I MIGHT have agreed with you about blitzing through it but I did the same thing with Dexter (or at least the first 3-4 seasons) and I really enjoyed Dexter watching it that way (or any way).

I honestly can't figure out how to put it into words just WHAT it was that made it just so-so to me. One thing that I didn't enjoy was Walt's complete lack of loyalty to anybody, even when it was a minor issue. Later in the series, I was reminded of a line in "The Sting", Gondorf (Paul Newman) telling Hooker (Redford), "You can't play your friends like marks, kid". Walt plays everybody for a sucker.

I think I also found the complete evolution of Walt a total monumental crock of BS. Without knowing anything about the writer/creator (Vince Gilligan), I'm thinking to myself, this was written by a big f'n nerd who wanted to write a personal wet-dream story about a nerd who turns into a super villain and conquers everyone he encounters. Just f'n ridiculous. This incompetent boob HS chemistry teacher continuously and routinely gets the drop on career criminals, organized crime figures, et al.

I would give it another shot, watching it over again, if it didn't mean losing another 62 hours of my life. I'll try one of the other shows that have been discussed on here. To me, The Wire and Dexter are still head and shoulders above BB, as much as I hate to say it. Opinions vary...

Really? I thought you had more discerning taste. Parks & Rec and Modern Family are consistently solid network comedies. I like the new Michael J Fox show.

I'm starting to not like Parks and Rec. Leslie is just annoying in every way.

I kind of forgot about Modern Family. I do watch it and like it very much.

Community has Alison Brie in it. What else do you really need? No, seriously.

Archer is back. Archer is great.

I never like Michael J. Fox, so I'll never give that a try most likely.

I wish there were more good sitcoms out there.

Yeah, well, it's my favorite show, so you can shove it.

Yeah, well, Parks & Rec has Aubrey Plaza. Advantage: Parks & Rec.

Yeah, well, there's a few quality shows out there. It's just that there's soooo many terrible ones. Like a 10 to 1 ratio.

Yes it is and yes it is.

True Detective, anyone?

Wow. Three episodes and I'm absolutely blown away. Just an amazing show; the writing, the storyline so far, and mostly the interaction between Harrelson and McConaughey is brilliant. MM so far is fantastic, Harrelson right there with him.

I'm saving the episodes as I go and plan on watching it again shortly after it's done so I can see if/what I missed the first run through. An absolutely brilliant show so far.

Yeah, well, it's my favorite show, so you can shove it.

Yeah, well, there's a few quality shows out there. It's just that there's soooo many terrible ones. Like a 10 to 1 ratio.

Negative.

I have a question for the Sherlock fans. Is that it for the season? Hope not, but it would seem as if it is. All I see is 3 episodes listed for 2014, which appears to fall in line with the previous years.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1475582/episodes?year=2014

Yep. They only made 3 episodes for this season, but there will be a 4th season.

The next series scripts are already being planned: "We have got plans, they tend to be what exciting twists and turns we can have. Not blowing up the world" he said.

Moffat also added that he saw no point in making a Sherlock movie when he could create three feature-length new episodes, which can be shown in the cinema on release.

Perhaps Sherlock's Lazarus-style return to life may be catching. Though Magnussen appears to be a one-episode character, Moffatt did not rule out bringing him back. Which also left open the question of whether Moriarty, played to perfection by Andrew Scott, really is no more.

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2014/jan/09/sherlock-back-fourth-series-steven-moffat

It is a tie. Aubrey's face is almost too pretty. Her beauty takes away from her characters personality. Not entirely a bad thing of course.

Since Rob Lowe won't be on the show anymore-I will probably like it even less. His character was awesome.

Negative.

It is a tie. Aubrey's face is almost too pretty. Her beauty takes away from her characters personality. Not entirely a bad thing of course.

Since Rob Lowe won't be on the show anymore-I will probably like it even less. His character was awesome.
You guys are crazy. Aubrey is way more attractive, and talented, than that girl on Community. I'll agree that she's almost too pretty. Almost.

Agree on Rob Lowe. But Ann is the worst character on the show. So maybe it will balance out.

I feel like we've had this debate before with Mary Travers & Michelle Phillips.

I feel like we've had this debate before with Mary Travers & Michelle Phillips.

Vicious cycle.

I think Aubrey is starting to be a one trick pony. She needs a movie role where she isn't the 20something, hip, dark, kind of geeky chick.

Allison Brie is going to get big imo. Once Community runs its course, she will get some bigger movie roles.

Vicious cycle.

I think Aubrey is starting to be a one trick pony. She needs a movie role where she isn't the 20something, hip, dark, kind of geeky chick.
She's like a poor man's Zooey Deschanel.

She's like a poor man's Zooey Deschanel.

Speaking of...we taped the New Girl episode with Prince. Don't know if I can stomach it knowing Zooey sings in it. What's worse than Zooey the actress? Zooey the singer.

Vicious cycle.

Allison Brie is going to get big imo. Once Community runs its course, she will get some bigger movie roles.

So not this? I'd like to see Allison Brie attempt something this deep.

Speaking of...we taped the New Girl episode with Prince. Don't know if I can stomach it knowing Zooey sings in it. What's worse than Zooey the actress? Zooey the singer.
I really hope you taped it just for Prince. Otherwise...I don't know, Ted...

So not this? I'd like to see Allison Brie attempt something this deep.

She's even hot with the bloody nose. Great song but too bad it's only a video and not a actual movie.

You guys are crazy. Aubrey is way more attractive, and talented, than that girl on Community. I'll agree that she's almost too pretty. Almost.

Agree on Rob Lowe. But Ann is the worst character on the show. So maybe it will balance out.

Disagree. Aubrey is a good looking gal......but she's one of my least favorite people on P&R. I think that Brie is better looking.

Got through Season 5, Episode 4 of Justified. Michael Rapaport plays cousin Daryl Crowe to perfection. Great addition to season 5.

I was going to ask you FORW if you've been watching Justified's new season-you're right Rapaport has been surprisingly great in this role; in his other recent roles I felt he'd turned into a caricature, it shows how well Justified casts and writes roles.

I've decided that outside of The Wire, Justified is my favorite show for its dialogue.

Got through Season 5, Episode 4 of Justified. Michael Rapaport plays cousin Daryl Crowe to perfection. Great addition to season 5.

Yeah, he's been very good. Also interesting that they brought Cousin Johnny back. Did not see that coming. Art investigating the murder of Nicky Augustine seems like a reach for the Marshall's Office, but id does make for a season wide problem for Raylan doesn't it?

Sherlock did refer to himself as a "high functioning sociopath" in it's season finale. Take away Raylan's need to protect women and he's not that far off is he?

I'm not going to go back through 13 other pages to see if anyone mentioned the BBC series "Sherlock". I have enjoyed season's 1 and 2 and plan to watch season 3. A nice streaming website for finding various tv series is found at http://www.cucirca.eu/ You can find a large number of shows to watch at this site.

I was going to ask you FORW if you've been watching Justified's new season-you're right Rapaport has been surprisingly great in this role; in his other recent roles I felt he'd turned into a caricature, it shows how well Justified casts and writes roles.

I've decided that outside of The Wire, Justified is my favorite show for its dialogue.

Yeah, really good. I swear every time I see Olyphant's name mentioned as producer at the start of the opening credits and listen to the "country rap" theme song, it's almost as if my mind is made up to dislike the episode. Couldn't be more wrong on my bias.

Yeah, he's been very good. Also interesting that they brought Cousin Johnny back. Did not see that coming. Art investigating the murder of Nicky Augustine seems like a reach for the Marshall's Office, but id does make for a season wide problem for Raylan doesn't it?

Sherlock did refer to himself as a "high functioning sociopath" in it's season finale. Take away Raylan's need to protect women and he's not that far off is he?

I had completely forgot about Cousin Johnny. Man, is Raylan ready to "pull" at the slightest provocation, or what?! The scene where he confronts the Crowes in the bar to end episode 4. Wow.

They really do have some issues. Iceland, I still can't get over the scene in the second episode where Sherlock has to use his wits on which direction to fall, etc. (Trying not to spoil it.) Mentioned it before, but man oh man that was a tremendous scene!

Top Bottom