All Things TV Series Recommendations/Reviews

Recently signed up for the Disney+ bundle, so now I have Disney+, ESPN+ and Hulu. (I dropped netflix)

Started watching "The Mandalorian" on Disney+. Have seen the first four episodes - hope to catch the other four this weekend. enjoying it so far. production values are good. some good voice work from people like Nick Nolte playing alien characters and some interesting casting - renowned film director Werner Herzog shows up as a mysterious character

and I will note that the episodes run about 40 minutes or less - shorter than the Marvel shows that ran on Netflix - and the faster pace (IMHO) improves the show - not a lot of filler.

Season two is supposed to start in October.

Have not watched anything on Hulu yet. they do have some TV series that were not on netflix, so that might be something for a rainy day.
Hulu is great if you want to watch shows on broadcast and cable TV channels, without the commercials.

Fargo Season 4 had a great opening episode, thinking we'll be watching that and enjoying it.

Killing Eve is another great show on there, but they only have the first two seasons so far. Etc.

Started watching "Away" on Netflix and gave up. Guess I'm too technical, a LOT of what they show is absurd for a space flight. Hard pass for me.

Great news! Showtime is bringing Dexter back for a 10-episide season!! The first 5-6 season of Dexter were some of the best TV I've watched, but it really jumped the shark the last season or two and the ending was awful, though it did leave an opening for a return...and alas!

Per USA Today:

Those wondering whatever happened to serial killer Dexter Morgan will get some answers when Showtime unveils a 10-episode revival of "Dexter" in 2021.

The limited series reunites Michael C. Hall, who won a Golden Globe and received six Emmy nominations for his portrayal of the Miami Police Department blood-spatter expert/serial killer, with executive producer Clyde Phillips, Showtime announced Wednesday. Production is set to start early next year, with a premiere tentatively planned for the fall.

The revival could give "Dexter" a chance to leave on better footing with fans after a widely panned 2013 finale, which found Dexter working as a lumberjack in the Pacific Northwest after faking his own death. "Dexter," received more than 20 Emmy nominations during its eight season run.

"'Dexter' is such a special series, both for its millions of fans and for Showtime, as this breakthrough show helped put our network on the map many years ago,” Showtime Entertainment President Gary Levine said in a statement. “We would only revisit this unique character if we could find a creative take that was truly worthy of the brilliant, original series. Well, I am happy to report that Clyde Phillips and Michael C. Hall have found it, and we can’t wait to shoot it and show it to the world!”

All eight seasons of "Dexter" are available via Showtime on Demand and Showtime Anytime.

No plot or casting details besides Hall were announced Wednesday.

Go Dexter!!

Great news! Showtime is bringing Dexter back for a 10-episide season!! The first 5-6 season of Dexter were some of the best TV I've watched, but it really jumped the shark the last season or two and the ending was awful, though it did leave an opening for a return...and alas!

Per USA Today:

Those wondering whatever happened to serial killer Dexter Morgan will get some answers when Showtime unveils a 10-episode revival of "Dexter" in 2021.

The limited series reunites Michael C. Hall, who won a Golden Globe and received six Emmy nominations for his portrayal of the Miami Police Department blood-spatter expert/serial killer, with executive producer Clyde Phillips, Showtime announced Wednesday. Production is set to start early next year, with a premiere tentatively planned for the fall.

The revival could give "Dexter" a chance to leave on better footing with fans after a widely panned 2013 finale, which found Dexter working as a lumberjack in the Pacific Northwest after faking his own death. "Dexter," received more than 20 Emmy nominations during its eight season run.

"'Dexter' is such a special series, both for its millions of fans and for Showtime, as this breakthrough show helped put our network on the map many years ago,” Showtime Entertainment President Gary Levine said in a statement. “We would only revisit this unique character if we could find a creative take that was truly worthy of the brilliant, original series. Well, I am happy to report that Clyde Phillips and Michael C. Hall have found it, and we can’t wait to shoot it and show it to the world!”

All eight seasons of "Dexter" are available via Showtime on Demand and Showtime Anytime.

Go Dexter!!
Yeah I'm not sure how i feel about this...agree that the first half of that series was fantastic but it went from great to terrible so quick that I couldn't wait for that show to end. I'm sure I'll watch it just out of curiosity, but it will take a lot to get that sour taste out of my mouth.

Per USA Today:

Go Dexter!!

I'm on board.

Dexter as a lumberjack was horrible, almost as bs as the Seinfeld ending

I'm on board.

Dexter as a lumberjack was horrible, almost as bs as the Seinfeld ending
The Seinfeld series was based off of the book, The Stranger. A guy who floated through life without caring about much of anything and anyone. The end of the book was recreated with the final episode/trial. I liked it but knew of the connection to the book so it meant more to me I guess.

The Seinfeld series was based off of the book, The Stranger. A guy who floated through life without caring about much of anything and anyone. The end of the book was recreated with the final episode/trial. I liked it but knew of the connection to the book so it meant more to me I guess.
[/QUOTE/

Thanks for letting me know - I did get more of the Soup Nazi and Jackie Childs, so it wasn't all bad!

If you ever watch Curb your Enthusiasm you get a glimpse into the Seinfeld world years later when they have a reunion show. Would love if it was actually made as the story line was pretty solid.

Finally got around to starting Waco on Netflix. Through two episodes....I'm really liking it.

I’m really enjoying season 4 of Fargo so far.
Need more of her.

Fargo-S4E2.jpg

I’m really enjoying season 4 of Fargo so far.
It started off slow for me but has picked up since then. My only gripe is the daughter & aunt seeing ghosts (or whatever that guy in the hall & bathtub is). We're only on episode 4 and haven't seen the latest two, so maybe it's not really a big thing. But it's the same gripe I had with the aliens in earlier seasons. Doesn't fit the show and distracts from an otherwise strong plot. Anyway, as long as they don't get too into the supernatural; I've got Stranger Things for that. Otherwise, great season so far!

Is it weird that I kind of "like" her?
Yes, it's weird. I don't find her attractive in the least. I'm more interested in the two escaped convicts. Too bad one of them has been throwing up for two episodes. I hope they don't kill her off.

About halfway through The Boys Season 2. Every bit as good as the first season. Looking forward to an extra one off season of Dexter.

Trying to finish up Boardwalk Empire. Never saw the last two seasons when it was going through its initial run. Definitely have Killing Eve on my watch list. Also waiting for Fargo Season 4 to wrap up so that I can watch the entire thing.

Yeah, she's all sorts of crazy. Some good characters the season.
Sorry, but the nurse and the guy with the stutter ... are far more annoying than interesting. They could very easily have been cut from the story, without losing anything.

Yes, it's weird. I don't find her attractive in the least. I'm more interested in the two escaped convicts. Too bad one of them has been throwing up for two episodes. I hope they don't kill her off.
She's legit hot. Played the girlfriend that gets murdered as the basis for Wind River.

Actually somewhat controversial, that she's been cast twice now as a Native American character ... when she's biracial white/Asian.

Started watching "Away" on Netflix and gave up. Guess I'm too technical, a LOT of what they show is absurd for a space flight. Hard pass for me.
We just finished Away. It was a welcome change from what he have watched in the past: Outlander, Lost Kingdom, Heartland, Virgin River, When Calls the Heart and The Man in the High Castle. We gave up on Emily in Paris, Marvelous Mrs Maisel, Shitts Creek, Ozarks, The Crown and The Americans (I enjoyed it but Mrs not so much...to many R+++ scenes. The Man in the High Castle was our least favorite and Outlander is number one.

We are now into Season One of Designated Survivor (Keifer Sutherland) which we enjoy. The story line is solid thus far and the designated POTUS deals with one crisis after another so it certainly keeps ones interest.

I see where Virgin River Season Two starts the end of November. We will watch that for sure. Season Two of Away has been cancelled so we will never know if Atlas and crew returns from Mars.

We are now into Season One of Designated Survivor (Keifer Sutherland) which we enjoy. The story line is solid thus far and the designated POTUS deals with one crisis after another so it certainly keeps ones interest.
Oh hey, we liked Designated Survivor too. Sutherland is great as always and a compelling story to back it up.

Not sure if I should admit it, but finished all 7 seasons of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
Thought Clark Gregg did a good job as Phil Coulson, in spite of his character getting a little goofy towards the end.
Took me quite awhile to get through all the seasons.
Gets 7.5 on IMDB. Little too high in my opinion. Maybe 6.75 on the Rayometer.

We finished The Queen’s Gambit on Netflix last night-it’s been a long time since we’ve enjoyed a show so much. Who would have thought a drama around chess would be 7 hours of compelling TV?

Last edited:

We finished The Queen’s Gambit on Netflix last night-it’s been a long time since we’ve enjoyed a show so much. Who would have thought a drama around chess would be 7 hours of TV compelling?

I've heard and read nothing but fantastic things about this show.

Watching Schitt's Creek, but might have to pull the plug on it. Give it about 6, maybe a 6.5 on the Rayometer. Although I have fallen in love with Alexis.

Hope you didn't give up on it. One of those rare shows that gets better and better. 100% of of the top ten best comedies of all time.

Finished up The Boys season two. No disappointment. Slow start to the season and it made up for it.

After a month or two....I finally made it back to finish up Waco. Fantastic all around. Only complaint is that they made David Koresh into too much of a sympathetic character at times. Dude led a cult and his arrogance ended up killing lots of people....including a bunch of children. Show shouldn't have even given him the slim guise of being a martyr. Otherwise the writing and the performances were top knotch.

I've been moving through Fringe at a nice clip the past week or so. The first season and a half were good....but didn't really grip me in a must continue binging manner. The acting had always been solid....but the writing seems to have stepped up. For anyone who has no idea what this show is.....think of it as a spiritual successor to another great FOX show...the X-Files.

Not sure if this has been mentioned but another Band of Brothers series with Hanks/Spielberg is the works. This one will focus on the bombers.

Cool. Thanks for the info, look forward to that. I actually just finished watching The Pacific, which is a sequel to Band of Brothers.
Pacific is totally different vibe than BoB. Much more dark. Still very well done and i really enjoyed it.

Top Bottom