All Things TV Series Recommendations/Reviews

So I took the recommendations of The Wire and The League - thanks so much for both recommendations.

The Wire will likely end up as my favorite TV Series of all time, depending on how the 5th and final season is. I just finished Season 4 tonight. Every episode is just amazing. I can't get over how well written it is, how the story lines just continue to build off each other despite main characters coming and going. It's just an amazing show. I have tried to do a bit of research to learn more about it (but not too much as I don't want the final season to be spoiled for me) and I have found out that a number of the leading performing arts/theater programs across the country study the writing of The Wire and many professors consider it the best written TV series ever. I can't wait to start Season 5.

I have seen only one season of The League so far and it's great as well. As a die-hard Fantasy Football player who has been in the same league with the same group of guys for 18 straight years, I can't believe I hadn't heard of this show until this thread. I don't know why Season 2 isn't out on Netflix yet, so I may end up downloading this as well on my ipad.

Go Gophers!!

Why did a thread about Community get moved to a thread from December about general tv shows, but we have several separate threads on Trayvan Martin, healthcare, and why liberals don't understand conservatives (and vice versa)?

Why did a thread about Community get moved to a thread from December about general tv shows, but we have several separate threads on Trayvan Martin, healthcare, and why liberals don't understand conservatives (and vice versa)?

It probably shouldn't have - we are checking to see if we can reverse the thread merge. Sorry about that.

I hated how they just ended the first season without any notice. I'm glad it is coming back...if not already.

Another gem = Archer. My favorite cartoon ever. Suck it Simpsons.

Archer is very good; if you like the spy shows it spoofs (Bond movies, The Man From Uncle, The Spy Who Came In From the Cold etc.), it's great! Justified is also "must see" TV if you don't mind the violence. The story lines and actors are always top notch. They get a lot of actors who are truly guest stars.

umm yeah...stupid. why not create one politics thread if you really want to cut down on pollution

So I took the recommendations of The Wire and The League - thanks so much for both recommendations.

The Wire will likely end up as my favorite TV Series of all time, depending on how the 5th and final season is. I just finished Season 4 tonight. Every episode is just amazing. I can't get over how well written it is, how the story lines just continue to build off each other despite main characters coming and going. It's just an amazing show. I have tried to do a bit of research to learn more about it (but not too much as I don't want the final season to be spoiled for me) and I have found out that a number of the leading performing arts/theater programs across the country study the writing of The Wire and many professors consider it the best written TV series ever. I can't wait to start Season 5.

I have seen only one season of The League so far and it's great as well. As a die-hard Fantasy Football player who has been in the same league with the same group of guys for 18 straight years, I can't believe I hadn't heard of this show until this thread. I don't know why Season 2 isn't out on Netflix yet, so I may end up downloading this as well on my ipad.

Go Gophers!!

end the wire at season 4 if you still want to like the show. season 5 is worse than rocky 5,

end the wire at season 4 if you still want to like the show. season 5 is worse than rocky 5,

It did seem rushed, but it wasn't that bad.

Back to the original question from way back... nothing better than Anthony Bourdain when traveling-gets you in the mood for adventure.

It did seem rushed, but it wasn't that bad.

Back to the original question from way back... nothing better than Anthony Bourdain when traveling-gets you in the mood for adventure.

I didn't think Season 5 was that bad. Just a little different. More of a progression up the food chain. Don't ruin it for Bleed!!!

I was spoiled, BIG TIME. My first time watching The Wire was when it first started airing last year or the year before on DirecTV's Channel "Audience" Network, or whatever they used to call it. It's on like 3 different channels on DirecTV; 500, 239, 334.

Anyway, during the first season or two on that channel, before many of the episodes they showed a brief clip of an interview with the writer, David Simon. Showed some great insight into the creation of the show, the evolution of the characters, etc. Really added to the enjoyment of the show. Not sure if it continued through all the seasons. After one season or so, I went out and bought all 5 seasons.

I love the show because it's smart. It also appeals to my analytical nature/OCD in the fact that you have to pay attention, really. Not something you can watch while doing your taxes or washing the dishes.

i am a big fan of sitcomedy. community has been very good, but the whole meta for meta's sake is getting old. sitcomedies should be funny and i haven't laughed since community came back from hiatus.

now breaking bad. i could get behind a breaking bad is the best show on television thread. i can watch it over and over again, which is something that i rarely do with non situational comedy.

i am a big fan of sitcomedy. community has been very good, but the whole meta for meta's sake is getting old. sitcomedies should be funny and i haven't laughed since community came back from hiatus.
I agree. Why does every episode have to be a parody/theme? Very tiresome and, frankly, lazy. Also, they seem to try way too hard, like they're shouting the jokes at you -- over-acting, lengthy build-up, and elaborate theatrics. There is no subtley to the show. The only times I laugh are when Ken Jeong is in the scene.

As a big fan of sitcoms, which are some of your favorites? Parks & Rec is far and away my favorite show, possibly of all time. Great writing, great acting, hilarious jokes. Raising Hope is a solid show that doesn't get much acclaim -- consistent, fresh, though something a little too goofy.

I finally took the plunge and am watching Heroes despite all my nerd friends overtly judgmental comments about how the show should have been done. I am intrigued by the suspense, and I enjoy shows where I try to figure out things before the writers tell me.

Looking at the ratings over the seasons, it appears the internet subculture screaming about how bad it is won. However into the second season, it still has my interest.

I agree. Why does every episode have to be a parody/theme? Very tiresome and, frankly, lazy. Also, they seem to try way too hard, like they're shouting the jokes at you -- over-acting, lengthy build-up, and elaborate theatrics. There is no subtley to the show. The only times I laugh are when Ken Jeong is in the scene.

As a big fan of sitcoms, which are some of your favorites? Parks & Rec is far and away my favorite show, possibly of all time. Great writing, great acting, hilarious jokes. Raising Hope is a solid show that doesn't get much acclaim -- consistent, fresh, though something a little too goofy.

yeah, i like parks and rec a lot. ron swanson is a badass, i am growing a mustache at the moment and his is the ideal. mine's gonna be more french. i am getting sick of the whole mockumentary. it was novel when the office did it, and i thought that parks was a weak knockoff of the office at first. i think it's been played out. other than community, which i still watch all the time, and parks and rec sitcoms are pretty ho hum. supposedly modern family is good, but i don't like the mockumentary format and it hasn't really made me laugh the half dozen times i have watched it. i agree that cummunity seems to be trying too hard. that usually seems to happen when a show gains a cult following but can't garner the type of viewership that will keep them on the air. same thing happened to arrested development toward the end. always sunny too, though being on FX they don't need the high viewership, they just sell coors the right to advertise in paddy's pub.

i am in to british sitcoms more than u.s.

nathan barley is amazing. peep show has some very funny moments. my all time favorite is spaced, it is what meta should be, subtle. black books, mighty boosh, i have heard good things about grandma's house.

yeah, i like parks and rec a lot. ron swanson is a badass, i am growing a mustache at the moment and his is the ideal. mine's gonna be more french. i am getting sick of the whole mockumentary. it was novel when the office did it, and i thought that parks was a weak knockoff of the office at first. i think it's been played out. other than community, which i still watch all the time, and parks and rec sitcoms are pretty ho hum. supposedly modern family is good, but i don't like the mockumentary format and it hasn't really made me laugh the half dozen times i have watched it. i agree that cummunity seems to be trying too hard. that usually seems to happen when a show gains a cult following but can't garner the type of viewership that will keep them on the air. same thing happened to arrested development toward the end. always sunny too, though being on FX they don't need the high viewership, they just sell coors the right to advertise in paddy's pub.

i am in to british sitcoms more than u.s.

nathan barley is amazing. peep show has some very funny moments. my all time favorite is spaced, it is what meta should be, subtle. black books, mighty boosh, i have heard good things about grandma's house.
I don't mind the mockumentary style so much as long as it isn't over done. Some of the talking head bits are really funny. Season 1 of Parks & Rec did feel like a knockoff of The Office. But they really came into their own in Season 2 and built from there. Rob Lowe is a fantastic addition.
Modern Family is good. It can be really funny, but then has long stretches with no laughter. They tend to rely on the same couple jokes for an entire episode, so they get a little front-end heavy.
David Cross sums up the Arrested Development viewership problem nicely here (profanity):

I finished Season 5 of The Wire and thus, the series. While Season 5 had a storyline that was a bit much, it didn't deter my enjoyment of the show and FTB's post actually set my expectations appropriately. I did enjoy the newspaper storyline...all in all, an amazing TV series and it moved to my #2 all time favorite drama. The ability of the writers to move a single storyline through multiple lens over a five season series was amazing. Characters move in and out, yet they are able to develop so many characters, their flaws, strengths, etc. It's no wonder why so many theater professors study the writing in this show and teach it in their classrooms. My top five drama series currently sits at:

1. Friday Night Lights
2. The Wire
3. West Wing
4. Dexter
5. L.A. Law

I think the dramas that end around Season 5-6 are very smart as it leaves the audience wanting more and not yet tired of the storyline. It seems like when dramas get into Season 7 and beyond that the quality really starts to drop.

I am now going to tackle Breaking Bad over the coming months and I have a friend who is convinced that it will be #1 on my list when all is said and done.

Go Gophers!!

Bleed, I think you should re-discover Gilligan's Island. That show has aged well, mostly because it was never supposed to be taken seriously. The pacing and production values are good, and it wasn't on the air long enough to get stale.

Has anyone seen Sherlock from the BBC? My wife and I watched Series 1 on Netflix this weekend and really liked it. They use the original Doyle stories set in modern London. I don't usually like crime dramas, but this is quite good and funny. You can see how shows like Monk & Psych get a lot of their stuff from Doyle. I'm also a fan of Martin Freeman. Series 1 is on Netflix instant, Series 2 is on DVD, and Series 3 is in production. Each series is three 90-minute episodes, so you're not in for a big committment.

I enjoyed "The New Girl". Zooey Deschannel is as cute as a button, and IMHO Schmidt is this year's best new character.

I enjoyed "The New Girl". Zooey Deschannel is as cute as a button, and IMHO Schmidt is this year's best new character.
Wow, I could not be more opposite. I watched a few episodes and was thoroughly bored. Some of the jokes were so bad, I couldn't finish the episode. I find ZD grating; can't stand her quirky schtick -- different tastes in women I guess. It got good reviews and people seem to like it, so just IMHO.

What's worse than watching an episode of Community? Reading an article disecting an episode of Community.

The show is obviously not for you, but it's one of the most written about shows on TV so somebody disagrees with you.

The show is obviously not for you, but it's one of the most written about shows on TV so somebody disagrees with you.

I'm going to be really bummed if Dan Harmon really is leaving the show. The guy is a genius when it comes to sitcom writing.

Abed is truly a great character that deserves more seasons.

Wow, I could not be more opposite. I watched a few episodes and was thoroughly bored. Some of the jokes were so bad, I couldn't finish the episode. I find ZD grating; can't stand her quirky schtick -- different tastes in women I guess. It got good reviews and people seem to like it, so just IMHO.

I think I hate Zoe Deschannel. Yes, she's hot, but I can't stand her whole "thing" whatever that is?

I'm going to be really bummed if Dan Harmon really is leaving the show. The guy is a genius when it comes to sitcom writing.

Abed is truly a great character that deserves more seasons.

Dan Harmon is gone. He's been fired.

His blog: danharmon.tumblr.com

Last summer I watched the entire run of The Wire. Greatest drama I've ever seen. This summer has been the summer of The Trailer Park Boys. Might be my favorite comedy ever. I still have two full seasons to go and the two movies. I'm going to be sad when I finish all of it.

Top Bottom