All Things TV Series Recommendations/Reviews

Any of you guys into Boardwalk Empire? We got the first disk through Netflix this weekend. My wife and I both really liked it. I think this will be the new series we dig into. I know it's gotten good reviews, and Steve Buscemi is awesome. GH's opinion? Favorite scene so far is how they introduced Al Capone. Caught me completely off guard.

Started out liking it and had to pull the pin sometime in season 3. Just lost interest in Buscemi's character and his relationships.

You can tell by watching last night's episode of Justified that it's the penultimate show of the season. "Set-up" after "set-up" going on there. Also a few "we'd he do that?" moments too. Below is how Yost described what went on. Note that the killing of one character had to be changed to a different character because the first got a pilot and their availability became a problem.

Guessing that was the pilot for the series Flash.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/04/02/justified-postmortem-salvation/

You can tell by watching last night's episode of Justified that it's the penultimate show of the season. "Set-up" after "set-up" going on there. Also a few "we'd he do that?" moments too. Below is how Yost described what went on. Note that the killing of one character had to be changed to a different character because the first got a pilot and their availability became a problem.

Guessing that was the pilot for the series Flash.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/04/02/justified-postmortem-salvation/

Watched the episode last night. There were a few things that surprised me. How Raylan dealt with Ava, also how Raylan dealt with Daryl via Kendal and the way Rachel and Tim handled the news from Boyd about Raylan.

Dewey Crowe is hilarious. Great character.

Don't know if anyone mentioned it but the finale of HIMYM was Monday. I sat through years of the show with my wife, enjoying some years more than others. I thought it was a disappointing finale.

Don't know if anyone mentioned it but the finale of HIMYM was Monday. I sat through years of the show with my wife, enjoying some years more than others. I thought it was a disappointing finale.

The last 3 (4?) years of that show were wildly disappointing. Even though I continued to watch it to the bitter end just because of the investment I had in it previously, I became almost angry at how terrible it had become. Aren't you supposed to root for these people? I won't spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen the end, but Marshall and Lily are the only people worth rooting for by the end of the series.

The last 3 (4?) years of that show were wildly disappointing. Even though I continued to watch it to the bitter end just because of the investment I had in it previously, I became almost angry at how terrible it had become. Aren't you supposed to root for these people? I won't spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen the end, but Marshall and Lily are the only people worth rooting for by the end of the series.

There was a fan created video that came out on Tuesday. It was 3:34 long and it was about how "How I Met Your Mother" should have ended. Much better than the mess they broadcast Monday night. Looked for it online just now. Seems that 24th Century Fox took it down because they were embarrassed that it was so much better than the real ending. No, strike that, it said "because of copyright reasons".

Yeah, right..

Yep. My wife kept saying, why was the focus of the entire last season what it was for that!

I will give friends with better lives one more chance, maybe? We are still recording it's about a boy. We will see where that goes. Can't wait for 24.

Yep. My wife kept saying, why was the focus of the entire last season what it was for that!

I will give friends with better lives one more chance, maybe? We are still recording it's about a boy. We will see where that goes. Can't wait for 24.

We DVRed Friends with Better Lives (pretty bad, but not horrible) and Surviving Jack (based on a book by, and executive produced by, Justin Halpern, the Sh1t My Dad Says guy). Surviving Jack was actually pretty good.

Although canceled, I gave 'Happy Endings' a shot on recommendation from a friend. It's pretty good if you can get past the first few episodes.

There was a fan created video that came out on Tuesday. It was 3:34 long and it was about how "How I Met Your Mother" should have ended. Much better than the mess they broadcast Monday night. Looked for it online just now. Seems that 24th Century Fox took it down because they were embarrassed that it was so much better than the real ending. No, strike that, it said "because of copyright reasons".

Yeah, right..

Might not be this one, but this would have been better too!

Might not be this one, but this would have been better too!

Yep that's it. Surprised they took it down, not surprised they put it back. Seems like Bays and Thomas are hawking an alternative ending themselves!

Wait for it — there actually is an alternate ending to "How I Met Your Mother."

The hit CBS series ended after a legendary nine-year run Monday, although, fans reaction to the finale was not exactly high-five worthy.

Co-creator Carter Bays took to Twitter to reveal that there will indeed be a chance to see how they almost tied up the beloved characters' futures.

"Here's a bit of news: 16 days ago today we were in the HIMYM edit room, trying to decide between two very different endings," he wrote.
"We only shot one script, but through edit room magic we had two possible outcomes for the series. We chose the ending we chose and we stand by it. But we loved the other version too."

Bays said that ending No. 2 will be available on the season 9 DVD's as well as on the series box set.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/entertai...ernate-ending-article-1.1746936#ixzz2y8su9h2p

"Yeah, we were worried that most fans would hate the ending we came-up with, so we decided to cover our butts so we can sell the DVD's!

I really didn't mind the HIMYM ending. I've seen much worse ways to end a series.

The real tragedy was how terrible the last 3 seasons were as a whole.

I really didn't mind the HIMYM ending. I've seen much worse ways to end a series. The real tragedy was how terrible the last 3 seasons were as a whole.

Exactly. The series was awful at the end, but I kept watching knowing the end was coming. I actually loved the finale. To each their own. It was the best episode in a long, long time and very satisfying to me.

Just finished watching the season premier of Game of Thrones. Awesome.

Silicon Valley had a strong pilot episode. Very interesting concept.

Today they air Justified's last episode of the season. Here is a snippet of one critic's review of said season. The link to the article is below.

Yet Justified is still capable of moments of startling insight and even poetry, of moments that reframe its characters in such perfect fashion that the viewer reconsiders everything that’s known about them. In one episode, Raylan’s new squeeze, Allison (a largely unnecessary character played by Amy Smart), suggests to him that she knows he would run into a burning building to save someone’s life—but she also suspects he’s the one who lit the fire. It’s a perfect encapsulation of everything that makes Raylan a compelling hero, governed by his better natures but also not averse to giving in to temptation, and it nicely mirrors the season’s best, most complicated material, unfolding in the deteriorating relationship between Raylan and Art. Every episode of the fifth season has moments like that, and a few of them—particularly the 12th, which is one of the best episodes the show has ever done—provide reminders of just how good this show can be.

Tonight’s finale reveals just how much the season has been hamstrung by being in a holding pattern while waiting for next year to bring the series’ final season. The setup for the future is filled with potential, and it finally feels like the show can kick off some of the constraints that artificially held it back this season. Yet even if the sixth and final season of Justified is one of its finest, it would only relegate the series to that old rule that used to govern Star Trek movies: The even-numbered ones are the best.

http://www.avclub.com/review/justifieds-fifth-season-gets-too-complicated-its-o-203133

I have one episode left of Rectify, from the Sundance channel, and I'm watching the first season on Netflix. I find the show totally mesmerizing. Watching someone freed from prison after 19 years and about my age deal with new inventions, life that occured while they were away, and just moving on. It has a bit of a 6 feet under tone. Highly recommended!

Damn, I just gotta say, Sherlock, Season 3, Episode 3. I don't want to spoil anything. Just the scene where he won't succumb! Effing A!!! Sherlock is one bada$$. What a scene. Brilliant writing, directing, or whatever.

Finally was able to watch the new episodes of Sherlock. WOW... Just keeps getting better. We had to take a break during Episode 3 just to collect our thoughts. Agree on the scene you mentioned. I like how Moriarty still haunts him. Series 4 with Moriarty's (presumed) return should be epic. Sherlock just become my favorite show of all time with that latest series.

'Fargo' on FX is looking like the new breakout show of this season. Both episodes have been great so far. And I love the fun accents.

I just finished House of Cards season 2. It is shuddering to think of the sociopathic level the characters were created at.

I just finished House of Cards season 2. It is shuddering to think of the sociopathic level the characters were created at.

I finished it a few weeks ago and thought it was excellent. Spacey is outstanding yet again.

I'm a few years late to the party, but have recently been watching season 1 of Homeland. Highly recommended.

Cold War on Ice: 1972 Canada-Soviet Union 8-game series

Outstanding documentary on the NBC Sports Network. Cool video footage, and man did that series have some violence in it. If you don't have a feel for how important the sport of hockey is to Canada, I'd recommend you watch it. Phil Esposito, especially, was quite the character.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/20...sports-network-debut-day-on-january-2/114819/

I have one episode left of Rectify, from the Sundance channel, and I'm watching the first season on Netflix. I find the show totally mesmerizing. Watching someone freed from prison after 19 years and about my age deal with new inventions, life that occured while they were away, and just moving on. It has a bit of a 6 feet under tone. Highly recommended!

The last episode, when Daniel's friend "has to go", man oh man that was touching.

I wish there were more episodes! Although with such a short season there definitely wasn't any filler episodes.

'Fargo' on FX is looking like the new breakout show of this season. Both episodes have been great so far. And I love the fun accents.

My wife and I caught up to the show this weekend. We love it so far!

For anyone who is a Parks and Rec fan in particular, I just learned Craig has his own show, Billy on the Street. It takes an episode or so to get used to because he screams A LOT, like on P and R. But once you give in to the insanity and randomness of it, it is hilarious. I am obsessed.

How can a show not be great when it quizzes random people about topics like Queen Latifah or a Brave Person?, and She Clucks or She Sucks?

It's on the Fuse channel or also online.

My wife and i started watching "the Americans" on amazon prime and we are really enjoying it. Pretty dark for both kerri Russel and a network tv show.

I finished it a few weeks ago and thought it was excellent. Spacey is outstanding yet again.

I'm a few years late to the party, but have recently been watching season 1 of Homeland. Highly recommended.

You haven't gotten to the crappy part of Homeland yet. Which is all of season 2 and half of season 3.

Top Bottom