All Things TV Series Recommendations/Reviews

Yikes! Eager to start jumping into the new season of "Homeland" on Shotime and WOW. Has it always been this horrendously left-leaning and I haven't noticed it or is this something new? Kind of looks like they made some assumptions on the outcome of the election as well; the president-elect to start the season is a woman, plenty of plot involving profiling and targeting of mid-east islamic people in the US, several mentions of those terrible drone strikes, etc.

Whether it's always been there or it's something new this season, it's dripping with lefty bias

I've heard the same, I gave up on the show in season 3.

BBC America has started showing a new group of Planet Earth episodes. I've got the DVR set. The first ones from 2007 were excellent!

BBC America has started showing a new group of Planet Earth episodes. I've got the DVR set. The first ones from 2007 were excellent!

I set the DVR as well. I absolutely loved the first series and am looking forward to this latest version.

Go Gophers!!

Not sure if anyone mentioned it yet......but 'Travelers' on Netflix is pretty excellent. Seems to be an under the radar type show. Netflix just continues to kill it!

Anyone been watching Iron Fist on Netflix? Not bad, not bad at all. Give it about a 7.5 on the Rayometer.

Big Little Lies has been a guilty pleasure. Not sure I should admit I've been watching it, but it's a pretty decent meditation on human frailty and original sin, in amongst the soapy whodunnit. It's also stylish filmmaking with excellent performances.

Big Little Lies has been a guilty pleasure. Not sure I should admit I've been watching it, but it's a pretty decent meditation on human frailty and original sin, in amongst the soapy whodunnit. It's also stylish filmmaking with excellent performances.

Love it. I didn't read the book, but my wife did. I wouldn't call it a guilty pleasure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PBS special tonight. "Churchill's Secrets" Outstanding! I hope some of you had a chance to see it.

Love it. I didn't read the book, but my wife did. I wouldn't call it a guilty pleasure.

Maybe not, but there is a debate right now as to whether it's great literature or soap opera. I'd fall on the side of the former. There's a lot of layers to the thing.

I'm halfway thru Legion on FX, man is it good. It's kind of based on XMen (which is not my cup of tea), but really nothing like it, and the show is totally unique. I would say it's a cross between Nightmare on Elm Street and Inception and maybe Memento. Tense, scary, thought provoking. I started watching because after the finale, there were a lot of people on twitter raving about how it ended, so very much looking forward to finishing this weekend.

Any other Kurt Sutter fans out there? He is a bit twisted and dark, but his writing is incredible. My favorite dramas include:

1. Sons of Anarchy
2. The Shield
3. NYPD Blue
4. The Walking Dead
5. The West Wing
6. Justified
7. 24

FX and AMC are just crushing it right now because they stretch the boundaries on things that network TV can't touch upon.

I'm halfway thru Legion on FX, man is it good. It's kind of based on XMen (which is not my cup of tea), but really nothing like it, and the show is totally unique. I would say it's a cross between Nightmare on Elm Street and Inception and maybe Memento. Tense, scary, thought provoking. I started watching because after the finale, there were a lot of people on twitter raving about how it ended, so very much looking forward to finishing this weekend.

Finished it last night. Really a mind trip of a show. Looking forward to the next season.

FX and AMC are just crushing it right now because they stretch the boundaries on things that network TV can't touch upon.

Both FX and AMC are doing great. They are putting out stuff that is as good as the premium channels. Netflix is up there as well.

Any other Kurt Sutter fans out there? He is a bit twisted and dark, but his writing is incredible. My favorite dramas include:

1. Sons of Anarchy
2. The Shield
3. NYPD Blue
4. The Walking Dead
5. The West Wing
6. Justified
7. 24

No "The Wire"? WTF?

Totally agree on the cable channels and their ability to put out a product that the networks can't.

Just started "Goliath" on Amazon Prime with Billy Bob Thornton; four episodes in, I'm moderately entertained, not sure how great it is. I had started Justified and Suits about the same time 3 months ago or so and plowed through all 6 seasons of Suits; decent show, I like the characters. Not sure how interested I'll be moving forward without the ability to binge watch. I liked Justified before getting derailed on Suits, I may pick that at some point.

Really want to start Sons of Anarchy at some point, just haven't gotten around to it. I should make that more of a priority from what I've heard.

Anyone else start watching Brockmire on IFC? It stars Hank Azaria and Amanda Peet. It's about a Major League announcer who has a very major and public meltdown, and is trying to get in the business with a small town minor league team.

It's been funny so far.

No "The Wire"? WTF?

Totally agree on the cable channels and their ability to put out a product that the networks can't.

Just started "Goliath" on Amazon Prime with Billy Bob Thornton; four episodes in, I'm moderately entertained, not sure how great it is. I had started Justified and Suits about the same time 3 months ago or so and plowed through all 6 seasons of Suits; decent show, I like the characters. Not sure how interested I'll be moving forward without the ability to binge watch. I liked Justified before getting derailed on Suits, I may pick that at some point.

Really want to start Sons of Anarchy at some point, just haven't gotten around to it. I should make that more of a priority from what I've heard.

Ogee...you won't be disappointed in SOA. The characters, writing and WTF factor carry the series. Nothing better than a show that doesn't follow any moral guidelines or "acceptable" storyline premise. I'm completely captivated by shows/movies that feature characters that are "good" at the core but flawed with criminal vulnerabilities. Jax Teller (SOA) and Vic Mackey (The Shield) should not be people that you root for yet they're my favorite characters to embrace. Andy Sipowicz (NYPD) is another example of a character that most people shouldn't cheer for but you can't help but wish for good things to happen to him. I don't watch a lot of TV other than sports but these shows got me hooked in the best possible way.

Anyone else start watching Brockmire on IFC? It stars Hank Azaria and Amanda Peet. It's about a Major League announcer who has a very major and public meltdown, and is trying to get in the business with a small town minor league team.

It's been funny so far.

I forgot all about it, but thought it looked funny. Thanks for reminding me.

Finished it last night. Really a mind trip of a show. Looking forward to the next season.

Both FX and AMC are doing great. They are putting out stuff that is as good as the premium channels. Netflix is up there as well.

What did you think of the ending? I thought it lost a lot of momentum after about episode 5. Still good, but 3,4,5 were really up there.

Fargo back on FX, another good season brewing. Other than GOT, I don't really watch anything else on HBO or the other premium channels.

What did you think of the ending? I thought it lost a lot of momentum after about episode 5. Still good, but 3,4,5 were really up there.

Fargo back on FX, another good season brewing. Other than GOT, I don't really watch anything else on HBO or the other premium channels.

I'm in love with Mary Elizabeth Winstead's character. Knowing Fargo...most of the characters will die-I hope she is the one to make it.

I wasn't blown away by the ending.... but it does set up for an interesting second season. I like Jermaine Clement (sp?) from Flight of the Conchords.... but he seems like a bit of a miscast imo. Not a huge fan of Aubrey Plaza either. They made her too quirky when they could have made her much darker and more menacing. Its possible that they didn't want to delve too deep into the horror aspects.... even though episode five was pretty much a straight horror episode. Some of the criticism of the show is that it doesn't really settle on a genre. I think that's one of the things that makes it great. Reminds me of the X-Files, which also had a wide range of tone from episode to episode.

I also completely agree that those middle episodes were fantastic. After seeing the brilliance of the Fargo television show (third season already starting off great), I have nothing but faith in Noah Hawley. I may have overlooked Legion otherwise. Many "superhero" based shows/movies are pretty toned down, which limits my interest. Netflix has done a fairly good job with this as well. I haven't watched Jessica Jones or Luke Cage yet..... but I did watch Daredevil....and it was very good.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I wasn't blown away by the ending.... but it does set up for an interesting second season. I like Jermaine Clement (sp?) from Flight of the Conchords.... but he seems like a bit of a miscast imo. Not a huge fan of Aubrey Plaza either. They made her too quirky when they could have made her much darker and more menacing. Its possible that they didn't want to delve too deep into the horror aspects.... even though episode five was pretty much a straight horror episode. Some of the criticism of the show is that it doesn't really settle on a genre. I think that's one of the things that makes it great. Reminds me of the X-Files, which also had a wide range of tone from episode to episode.

I also completely agree that those middle episodes were fantastic. After seeing the brilliance of the Fargo television show (third season already starting off great), I have nothing but faith in Noah Hawley. I may have overlooked Legion otherwise. Many "superhero" based shows/movies are pretty toned down, which limits my interest. Netflix has done a fairly good job with this as well. I haven't watched Jessica Jones or Luke Cage yet..... but I did watch Daredevil....and it was very good.

I agree. episode 5 as straight up scary. The King lost it's scariness in the last few episodes.

Fargo season 2 was one of my favorites of any tv series. I'm not sure Ewan McGregor is a great casting choice. His accent is a little off, sounds like he's impersonating William H Macy. The guy from season 2 (can't remember his name but he was Todd in breaking bad) was absolutely perfect, along with MN's own Kirsten Dunst. Sam Malone was awesome too.

I agree. episode 5 as straight up scary. The King lost it's scariness in the last few episodes.

Fargo season 2 was one of my favorites of any tv series. I'm not sure Ewan McGregor is a great casting choice. His accent is a little off, sounds like he's impersonating William H Macy. The guy from season 2 (can't remember his name but he was Todd in breaking bad) was absolutely perfect, along with MN's own Kirsten Dunst. Sam Malone was awesome too.
Yeah, Ewan McGregor seems a bit off with the accent. And I'm not saying that from a "he doesn't sound like a Minnesotan" standpoint. More like a "he doesn't have the hammy accent of others in the show". Doesn't bother me too much....as the writing is fantastic. Probably tied for my second favorite (current) show along with Better Call Saul and Silicon Valley. Behind GOT, obviously.

Yeah, Ewan McGregor seems a bit off with the accent. And I'm not saying that from a "he doesn't sound like a Minnesotan" standpoint. More like a "he doesn't have the hammy accent of others in the show". Doesn't bother me too much....as the writing is fantastic. Probably tied for my second favorite (current) show along with Better Call Saul and Silicon Valley. Behind GOT, obviously.

It's really too early to judge. We're just building characters. It doesn't bother me too much, just projecting. Story is pretty solid.

It's really too early to judge. We're just building characters. It doesn't bother me too much, just projecting. Story is pretty solid.
Believe me.... I'm not bothered by it at the least. The story that they build is of the charts. Fargo is what True Detective on HBO could have been.

I'm 3 episodes in on FX's Taboo (t's already aired, so, you need to wait for FX to replay them or find on Netflix). If you like historical period stuff, it's really good. You feel like you are back in 1814:

I'm pretty sure she wasn't born, or lived, here if that is what you meant?

I'm pretty sure she wasn't born, or lived, here if that is what you meant?

I stand corrected, I must be thinking of someone else. She was in some MN movie early in her career and I thought I remembered her being born here.

I stand corrected, I must be thinking of someone else. She was in some MN movie early in her career and I thought I remembered her being born here.
Jessica Biel?

I'm 3 episodes in on FX's Taboo (t's already aired, so, you need to wait for FX to replay them or find on Netflix). If you like historical period stuff, it's really good. You feel like you are back in 1814:

I watched this as well and really enjoyed it. Have to slightly disagree with the part about feeling like you're in 1814. The set design is absolutely fantastic but too much modern dialogue slips in. The half sister is seriously underwritten as well.

That said, Hardy and the rest of the cast are really, really excellent. Very curious to see if the woman who plays the actress/widow starts getting some bigger roles.

Top Bottom