All Things TV Series Recommendations/Reviews

I'm about 5 episodes into the second season of The Punisher on Netflix. Really good so far.

Several new shows that I'm really digging. Black Monday is a fictionalized telling of the events leading up to the October 19th, 1987 stock market crash. It's an HBO show and it's very over the top with lots of language, drug use, and nudity. Seth Rogan and Evan Goldberg produced and directed the first episode.....so as you can imagine......it's pretty filthy. But it's got a great cast. Lots of people that I really like. Don Cheadle is an absolutely an outrageous character and the star of the show. Only been one episode so far.

Valley of the Boom on National Geographic has been really interesting so far. Only a six part mini-series so it doesn't get SUPER in depth, but it's about the mid-90s rise and crash of the internet start ups, along with the IPO rush. Three main stories dominate the series. Netscape and their development of the first DECENT web browser.....and their issues with Microsoft trying to ice them out. A website called The Globe that was trying to secure funding but was having trouble explaining their functionality. And then a fasinating story about some scam artist named Michael Fenne (fake name) who stole some video compression software back when streaming videos over the internet was difficult due to dial-up speeds. Turns out the compression deal didn't function that well but he rececived funding and blew $16 million on a massive party in 1999 at the MGM Grand Las Vegas with a performance lineup consisting of Chely Wright, LeAnn Rimes, Faith Hill, Dixie Chicks, Sugar Ray, Natalie Cole, KISS, Tony Bennett, The Brian Setzer Orchestra, and a reunion of The Who. He also leased the gigantic Astrovision screen in Times Square to broadcast the eight-hour live feed. That company didn't last too much longer.

Finally....Brooklyn Nine-Nine is back on. NBC originally passed on it because they weren't sure if Samberg was going to be attached. FOX picked it up and did what they typically do with good shows and canceled it just to have NBC snag it.

Oh, and True Detective is back. Only three episodes in but it's already looking like it's going to be far better than last season's trainwreak. They'll never match season one though.

And I've gotten a few episodes into Sharp Objects finally. Definitely liking it. I wasn't aware until a few weeks back that Amy Adams was a performer at the Chanhassen Dinner Theater for about 3-4 years in the late 90's before she became a well known actress.

I was a big fan of House of Cards...until this season. I can't believe they even bothered making it without Spacey. I watched 10 minutes of the 1st episode and that was enough.

I recently watched it. It wasn't great but I didn't think it was that bad either. I was entertained enough to keep watching it. Sounds like I'm in the minority with my opinion though.

For those fans of Narcos, Season 4 drops today on Netflix.

The Ringer: A Guide to the ‘Narcos’ Extended Universe

Narcos comes back into our lives this weekend with another season of what’s become one of the more fascinating, adaptable series on television. What was the Pablo Escobar Show for two seasons—buoyed by an incredibly captivating performance and legit dad-bod commitment from Wagner Moura—has since left his orbit. Post-Pablo, it’s clear: The kingpins will come and go, but the white powder they peddle for hundreds of millions of dollars will remain.

The next entry in the Narcos Extended Universe—the NEU for short—moves the action from Colombia to Mexico to trace the rise of Miguel Ángel Félix Gallardo (played by Jabba the Hutt enthusiast Diego Luna) and the Guadalajara Cartel in the early ’80s (and, of course, the plucky DEA agents set on stopping them). “Narcos: Mexico,” as the fourth season is being called, is the kind of thing someone could reasonably start without watching previous Narcos seasons. It’s got more of the same tropes—dramatic cartel power plays, ridiculous narration, political corruption, copious violence, cocaína—but the setting and story are new and refreshing. It’s connected to the previous seasons as a continued depiction of cartel history—and how Mexico’s own cartel became intertwined with Colombia’s.

With “Narcos: Mexico” arriving Friday, and with my colleague Megan Schuster and I absolutely enraptured by the NEU in all its ridiculous glory, we thought we’d dissect the universe’s idiosyncrasies, aesthetic choices, and most crucial moments: the things that are quintessentially Narcos. Whether you’re a Narcos newcomer or someone who needs a refresher before the next addictive binge, consider this your guide to the NEU. Of course, that means we’ll be diving into spoiler territory—but c’mon, the show’s loosely adapted from actual history. Is it really a spoiler if you can just look this stuff up on Wikipedia? Vámonos. —Miles Surrey

https://www.theringer.com/tv/2018/11/15/18096670/narcos-guide-season-4

Go Narcos!!

Not surprising, I'm loving season 4. Just have one episode left.

Finished season one of The Romanoffs on Amazon Prime. Hour and a half episodes. I enjoyed all but one of them.

The Other Two on Comedy Central is really good.

Dang it wrong thread, my recommendation is a documentary..

Last edited:

A.P. Bio and Superstore returned last week to NBC. Both good shows.

Brooklyn Nine Nine has been great this season. One of the funniest shows on TV.

So glad it was brought back. It is great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are at least a couple laugh out loud moments per episode. Andre Braugher as Captain Holt really steals the shows.....even though every character is utilized well and every one is able to deliver an awesome line at any given time.

Speaking of Brooklyn 9-9, the season finale was one of the funniest things I’ve ever seen.

And Andre Braugher’s Captain Holt is one of the best characters TV has seen in a long time.

No hyperbole. Thank you, NBC, for being smarter than FOX.

Speaking of Brooklyn 9-9, the season finale was one of the funniest things I’ve ever seen.

And Andre Braugher’s Captain Holt is one of the best characters TV has seen in a long time.

No hyperbole. Thank you, NBC, for being smarter than FOX.

Just an FYI.....NBC passed on B99 before FOX nabbed it on it's initial run.

And yes....Braugher's Captain Holt is easily one of the best characters ever created.

Last edited:

I think the thing with Braugher is that he played such a different type of character on "Homicide." (which was one of my favorite shows) The guy is definitely showing some range as an actor.

Just binged the first three episodes of Chernobyl on HBO. Very captivating and would highly recommend.

Just binged the first three episodes of Chernobyl on HBO. Very captivating and would highly recommend.

I caught the first episode and then fell behind.....so I waited until all five episodes had aired and watched them all. Brilliant series that is going to clean up come award season. And if there was any doubt that Jared Harris is one of the most talented actors working today after his work on Mad Men and The Terror......there should be little doubt any longer.

And now that HBO has released the Deadwood movie....I'm getting around to rewatching the series....as I never finished it. I also watched the entire series of The Office after not watching it during it's initial run. I can see why people loved it so much. I don't understand the hate for the last two seasons though. Probably because I had lowered expectations and the people who watched it during the initial run had to deal with the fact that Steve Carrell was gone....but I knew that was coming. And was Robert California really that bad of a character? I thought he was a pretty good character and wasn't even that big part of the show. Him asking Jim is he wanted a nature and a sex analogy....pretty much knowing that they were going to be the same was one one the funniest pasts of the series in my opinion.

Also....very much looking forward to the second season of The Terror on AMC in August. This season is going to be set during World War 2 centered around a specter that haunts a Japanese-American internment camp in California.

And if you never got around to watching the first season about the true story of the Royal Navy's terrifying voyage in the mid-1800's searching for the midwest passage that never returned.....you are missing out. It was amazing.....and other than the beast that was killing off the crew......historically accurate. Based on a fantastic novel by one of my two favorite authors along (the other being Frank Herbert), Dan Simmons.

Also....very much looking forward to the second season of The Terror on AMC in August. This season is going to be set during World War 2 centered around a specter that haunts a Japanese-American internment camp in California.

And if you never got around to watching the first season about the true story of the Royal Navy's terrifying voyage in the mid-1800's searching for the midwest passage that never returned.....you are missing out. It was amazing.....and other than the beast that was killing off the crew......historically accurate. Based on a fantastic novel by one of my two favorite authors along (the other being Frank Herbert), Dan Simmons.

first season went off the rails with the dumb Yeti.

Probably shouldn't have shown the monster....but otherwise.....I thought the show was fantastic. And so was the book.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I liked it overall. The description of season two sounds interesting.

I liked it overall. The description of season two sounds interesting.

I thought that it was going to be a one off because it was based on a novel.....so I'm really glad that it not only did well enough in the ratings.....but it has both creative firepower and well respected industry folks behind it in order to warrant it continuing. Plus the critics loved it.

Anyone watching Nos4a2? I’m not a big horror fan, but thought this looked like it could be clever. I’ve watched 2 episodes so far, and impressed.

Anyone watching Nos4a2? I’m not a big horror fan, but thought this looked like it could be clever. I’ve watched 2 episodes so far, and impressed.

I watched the first episode a few weeks ago. I went on demand and there was a promotional thing for the entire first season of the show. So I started watching it. When I went to watch the second episode....I realized that you had to be an AMC premium member or something. Haven't kept up since. Unless a show REALLY captures my attention....I want to be able to watch episodes in a bunch. I'm not going to tune in every week. This is a show that I will forget about.

I'm about 5 episodes into Last Chance U. Seriously, the team seems even more dysfunctional this year. Didn't think that was possible.

Top Bottom