All Things TV Series Recommendations/Reviews

Anybody else watching the quite disturbing, yet fascinating "Mr. Mercedes?"

I have not, but thanks for the heads up Donovan. Brendan Gleeson is a favorite of mine.

My wife and I finished binge watching Atypical on Netflix last night. It stars Michael Rapaport, Jennifer Jason Leigh, and others. It's about an 18-year old on the autism spectrum. We're bummed that we have to wait almost a year for the second season.

Interesting. I better check this out. The wife's daughter, my stepdaughter, is a 21-yr old on the spectrum and relatively lower functioning. Love the name already, "Atypical"; for many that may not know, it's preferable to refer to kids on the spectrum or not on the spectrum as atypical or typical, not "normal" or otherwise.

Thanks for the heads up!!

Anybody else watching the quite disturbing, yet fascinating "Mr. Mercedes?"

AT&T Original? And what the hell channel is 'Audience'.

Going to have to figure it out. I've got Charter.....and this looks fantastic.

Interesting. I better check this out. The wife's daughter, my stepdaughter, is a 21-yr old on the spectrum and relatively lower functioning. Love the name already, "Atypical"; for many that may not know, it's preferable to refer to kids on the spectrum or not on the spectrum as atypical or typical, not "normal" or otherwise.

Thanks for the heads up!!

Agreed. My mother is an occupational therapist and works with many autistic kids from elementary to high school. Many people hear the word "autism" and conjure negative ideas. It's mostly because most people do not understand the condition. Autism has little to no correlation to intellectual deficiencies. In fact.....studies have shown that autistic folks may be more intelligent on average than their "normal" counterparts. Many of the kids that my mother works with are awesome, and very bright. Most simply have some social issues and/or quirks.

So I definitely like the "Atypical" label as well. And for anyone who looks down on someone with autism......just know that there's a good chance that he/she is more intelligent than you.

If anyone likes the Syfy network (I love the terribly cheesy movies).....there's a good horror show called 'Channel Zero'. Watched the first season.....and it was entertaining enough to hold my attention.....but it was nothing super compelling. This new season.....the "No-End House" is SUPER creepy so far. Seems like what American Horror Story WANTS to be.

AT&T Original? And what the hell channel is 'Audience'.

Going to have to figure it out. I've got Charter.....and this looks fantastic.

It may be exclusive to Directv, where it is on channel 334.

It may be exclusive to Directv, where it is on channel 334.
That's too bad. And production companies complain about pirating....yet some give exclusivisity to one provider. That's ironic at best. At least the shows on the premium channels are available under every provider....

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Has anyone watched the Netflix show Ozark? We plan on starting it soon, and I was curious any feedback on the show for those that have watched.

Go Gophers!!

Has anyone watched the Netflix show Ozark? We plan on starting it soon, and I was curious any feedback on the show for those that have watched.

Go Gophers!!

I haven't personally watched it, but several friends have and have given universally rave reviews. Plus, Jason Bateman is great in everything.

top_that_arrested_development.gif

Go Gophers!!

Ozark was great. It got comparisons to breaking bad (which I think is the best TV series I've ever watched). I don't think it's on breaking bad's level but it was very entertaining. Hooked me right away with the first episode which alot of shows don't do.

Just realized I posted about Mind Hunter in the movie thread rather than TV series thread. Mind Hunter is another netflix series that we are watching now that we finished Ozark. And it's awesome.

OK, I suppose someone has to post about Stranger Things 2. I'm only two episodes into it because I've been spending my time watching 5-hour, 19-minute World Series games. I believe it was Slate who gave it essentially a thumbs-down review, but they couldn't articulate their beef with it other than to say the first few shows were slow paced - which kind of worked into my wheelhouse because I thought the first season was too frenetic and could have slowed the f down a little in spots.

Soooo...it's pretty much what I was thinking. Where I thought the first season was overrated (but still very good and very fun), the second season is probably going to come out underrated. I'm enjoying it a great deal, including that, yeah, I think it's got better pacing and more robust storytelling than last year. The performances are wonderful, especially the kids, and the new characters played by Paul Reiser and Sean Astin are top shelf. And if it's possible to have a better soundtrack than Season 1, it's doing it.

...apparently not House of Cards...[emoji317]

...apparently not House of Cards...[emoji317]

The decision to not renew the series was made in August. Now the producers are implying that because of the Kevin Spacey assault they grandly announce that they aren't renewing the series.

Not exactly brave of them now is it?

The decision to not renew the series was made in August. Now the producers are implying that because of the Kevin Spacey assault they grandly announce that they aren't renewing the series.

Not exactly brave of them now is it?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the issue not that they non-renewed (which, as you stated, has been known for a while), but that they shut down production midway through shooting the final season because of the Spacey issue?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the issue not that they non-renewed (which, as you stated, has been known for a while), but that they shut down production midway through shooting the final season because of the Spacey issue?

Yeah, you're right. My mistake. Though the stories are confusing.

"MRC and Netflix have decided to suspend production on 'House of Cards' season six, until further notice, to give us time to review the current situation and to address any concerns of our cast and crew," the statement read

From the story on Deadline:

The news comes less than 24 hours after Netflix announced that House of Cards will end with its upcoming sixth season as allegations of unwanted sexual advances in 1986 by HoC star Kevin Spacey against then-14-year-old Anthony Rapp had emerged.

Anybody see the show Stan Against Evil on IFC? John C McGinley (who I really like) was a guest on the Dan Patrick Show and discovered he's on this crazy show. Season 2 is just starting. I just watched the first episode of season 1. Very funny, but crazy.

Go Gophers!!

it is worth the watch, but i though it was very boring at times. it is a different jason bateman, though. he's not walter white and i hope they don't go that direction with the show, but the one thing that i liked about breaking bad is that there were redeeming characters in the show that made it worth while. the story arc of jesse breaking good was more edifying than ww breaking bad. i also thought the development of hank showed a more real life character; flawed but desperately trying to do good. i'm not saying that every show with an anti-hero needs to have a counterpoise to make the show worth watching, but i do think that we are raising generations of morally stunted individuals who could use exemplars of goodness in their lives rather than glorification of evil.

with all that said, ozark is worth the binge. i might rewatch it myself.

Had knee surgery on Friday, so I have been on a t.v. marathon kick this weekend. Started watching "Big Mouth" on Netflix. Great adult cartoon by the great Nick Kroll and co. Highly recommend even without the pain meds.

Had knee surgery on Friday, so I have been on a t.v. marathon kick this weekend. Started watching "Big Mouth" on Netflix. Great adult cartoon by the great Nick Kroll and co. Highly recommend even without the pain meds.

I logged onto Netflix, and there it was, recommended to me. Here we go, I guess.

Sorry to hear you're laid up.

Just realized I posted about Mind Hunter in the movie thread rather than TV series thread. Mind Hunter is another netflix series that we are watching now that we finished Ozark. And it's awesome.

Thanks for the recommendation. We started watching it this weekend. It's great so far.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Maybe the greatest television event ever happens tonight at 9:30/ESPN. 30/30 on the one and only....

ric-flair-woo.jpg

I should add on an Alert Warning! I'm almost done with the season. I still like it a lot. But...you should not watch this around children at all! This one might be better watched alone.

I should add on an Alert Warning! I'm almost done with the season. I still like it a lot. But...you should not watch this around children at all! This one might be better watched alone.

Nick Kroll fronted this show? I heard terrible things about it......and I hated the Kroll Show. Still worth a try?

Nick Kroll fronted this show? I heard terrible things about it......and I hated the Kroll Show. Still worth a try?

If you don't like Kroll, you probably won't like this show. Imagine if the Family Guy was on cable and not restricted in any way.

If you don't like Kroll, you probably won't like this show. Imagine if the Family Guy was on cable and not restricted in any way.

Cartoons!

Oh.....yeah.....I'll probably not be into it. The first few seasons of Family Guy were fantastic. It got more absurd and the jokes more lazy as it went on. My favorite cartoon of all time is Futurama. Brilliant show on FOX. Came back on Comedy Central (which I was very excited for) and really let me down. American Dad has been pretty solid throughout the years, although it's never been a weekly viewing for me. South Park IMO......has been declining every year. I stopped watching it as appointment viewing after season 7 or so. Unsupervised on FX was great as well. It's too bad that it didn't gain more traction. I was pissed when it wasn't renewed. Why? To make room for 'Men Seeking Women"......which is complete trash.

Finally.....gotta give some love to my A2 favorite cartoon of all time......'The Life and Times of Tim'. It got three seasons on HBO from 2008-2012. One of the funniest shows of all time. The first episode was titled "Angry Unpaid Hooker". Gives you an idea of the show's tone. I miss this show more than anything.

Anybody watch 30 for 30 Nature Boy?

Yes. Very Good. I grew up in the Twin Cities and was raised on AWA, but for some reason we picked up WCW (Texas) wrestling on Saturday's and occasionally some NWA. As a result, I knew who Flair was from a very young age. Very well done, in my opinion.

13+5 x 7 x 22. Incredible that he stayed alive, much less wrestled 6 of 7 nights.

Top Bottom