All Things TV Series Recommendations/Reviews

The set design is absolutely fantastic but too much modern dialogue slips in. The half sister is seriously underwritten as well.

Fair point, I was thinking more from the visual aspect. On a side note, I loved the hat and coat Hardy wore. I don't like dressing up for Halloween, but showing up in that outfit would be fun.

Fair point, I was thinking more from the visual aspect. On a side note, I loved the hat and coat Hardy wore. I don't like dressing up for Halloween, but showing up in that outfit would be fun.

Ha! Absolutely. Of course it helps that Hardy is built like a tank. btw, there will be a second season.

In the middle of binge watching the newest season of House of Cards.

Also heard there will be a 2nd Making a Murderer. I guess it will talk about what's happened since? It sounds like Brendan Dassey could be released or get a new trial soon. His situation is what pissed me off the most of all that. He's not a good enough witness for the Avery case so the prosecution doesn't put him on the stand, but then his statements are good enough to be the only evidence to convict him? Never made sense to me.

Also, Avery's new lawyer suspects it was Halbach's ex boyfriend who killed her. Both my wife and I felt there was something weird about him. http://www.postcrescent.com/story/news/local/steven-avery/2017/06/13/averys-lawyer-ex-boyfriend-killed-halbach/387912001/

Watching Marvel's The Defenders on Netflix. Like it, but I also liked Daredevil, Luke Cage, Jessica Jones and Iron Fist, so...

Season 3 of Narcos comes out on Netflix on September 1:

Go Narcos!!

Veep, a fantastic show, is ending after this next season:

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Selina Meyer!!

Veep, a fantastic show, is ending after this next season:

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Selina Meyer!!
Never really got into it when it started....but I've seen random episodes here and there and it's pretty damn funny. Really looking forward to it being over so I can run through the entire series.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Never really got into it when it started....but I've seen random episodes here and there and it's pretty damn funny. Really looking forward to it being over so I can run through the entire series.

The continuous string of filthy one-liners are worth the price of admission alone.

The continuous string of filthy one-liners are worth the price of admission alone.

Do you have to be a progressive to find it entertaining? What is the ideology/party of Julia L-Ds character?

Do you have to be a progressive to find it entertaining? What is the ideology/party of Julia L-Ds character?
Most characters - particularly Louis-Dreyfus - are backstabbing narcissists whose only goal in life is to stay in power. No morality whatsoever. The politics of the whole thing takes a backseat. But, of course, I don't see bias in a sack of flour or airport carpeting, so your mileage may vary.

As I said, the one-liners and awesome characters are the primary reason I kept watching - not necessarily the story lines. Besides the Veep herself, Congressman Roger Furlong is the best character.

I can smell out annoying left bias in shows and movies, and I can report Veep does not demonstrate this (at least through season 1). Pokes fun at both sides of the aisle. The show is funny and highly recommended.

I'm not sure if others have mentioned this one, but just watched HBO's John Adams series. Excellent.

Ken Burns' latest work on the Vietnam War will air on PBS this Sunday:

Go Ken Burns!!

Leave it to beaver to complain about a sitcom. Oh wait!!! Beaver doesn't have a party affiliation!!! Shouldn't care but does.

My wife and I finished binge watching Atypical on Netflix last night. It stars Michael Rapaport, Jennifer Jason Leigh, and others. It's about an 18-year old on the autism spectrum. We're bummed that we have to wait almost a year for the second season.

I'm very pumped for Curb to start this weekend after six years away!!!!!!!!

Per EW.com: Curb Your Enthusiasm season 9 will be supersized

Season 9 of Larry David’s curmudgeon comedy Curb Your Enthusiasm will feature episodes that run notably longer than the normal half-hour length. Apparently, when your show is off the air for six years, you return with plenty to say. “In the intervening years, I was able to accumulate a lot of ideas, so the shows are kind of… dense,” David tells EW. “They’re stuffed.”

“Almost every show is longer than a half an hour, and some are going to go way, way longer,” executive producer Jeff Schaffer tells EW. “When we were writing the outlines, we just kept putting stories and scenes we liked. And then we found lots more fun stuff as we were shooting, so we ended up with way more than 10 episodes worth.”

As the season progresses — and our nitpicking protagonist entangles himself in more neuroses and trouble — the running times of episodes will increase in length. “By the time we get to the end of the season, there are some big, big shows,” says Schaffer. “People are definitely going to get their money’s worth — unless, of course, they are watching it on BitTorrent or Pirate Bay.” (Which is where some episodes ended up after a hack of HBO resulted in episodes of Curb and Ballers, among other programs, leaking online.)

Should these overstuffed installments be considered a gift to fans who spent six years waiting patiently for another season of Curb? “I guarantee that the feelings of the audience were never taken into consideration,” quips Schaffer. “That is not the Curb way.” That said, viewers will be pleased to go into bonus time. “There’s a lot more Curb coming at people than in normal seasons,” he says. “Fans wanted us to throw them a bone — and we tossed the whole skeleton at them.”

Kicking off Oct. 1, season 9 returns all of the regular cast (Jeff Garlin, Cheryl Hines, Susie Essman and JB Smoove) while featureing such guest stars as Elizabeth Banks, Jimmy Kimmel, and Bryan Cranston. In addition, look for Lauren Graham to pop up as an NBC censor — and Larry’s love interest.

http://ew.com/tv/2017/09/26/curb-your-enthusiasm-season-9-episodes/

Go Larry David!!

Season 9 of Larry David’s curmudgeon comedy Curb Your Enthusiasm will feature episodes that run notably longer than the normal half-hour length. Apparently, when your show is off the air for six years, you return with plenty to say. “In the intervening years, I was able to accumulate a lot of ideas, so the shows are kind of… dense,” David tells EW. “They’re stuffed.”

“Almost every show is longer than a half an hour, and some are going to go way, way longer,” executive producer Jeff Schaffer tells EW. “When we were writing the outlines, we just kept putting stories and scenes we liked. And then we found lots more fun stuff as we were shooting, so we ended up with way more than 10 episodes worth.”

As the season progresses — and our nitpicking protagonist entangles himself in more neuroses and trouble — the running times of episodes will increase in length. “By the time we get to the end of the season, there are some big, big shows,” says Schaffer. “People are definitely going to get their money’s worth — unless, of course, they are watching it on BitTorrent or Pirate Bay.” (Which is where some episodes ended up after a hack of HBO resulted in episodes of Curb and Ballers, among other programs, leaking online.)

Should these overstuffed installments be considered a gift to fans who spent six years waiting patiently for another season of Curb? “I guarantee that the feelings of the audience were never taken into consideration,” quips Schaffer. “That is not the Curb way.” That said, viewers will be pleased to go into bonus time. “There’s a lot more Curb coming at people than in normal seasons,” he says. “Fans wanted us to throw them a bone — and we tossed the whole skeleton at them.”

Kicking off Oct. 1, season 9 returns all of the regular cast (Jeff Garlin, Cheryl Hines, Susie Essman and JB Smoove) while featureing such guest stars as Elizabeth Banks, Jimmy Kimmel, and Bryan Cranston. In addition, look for Lauren Graham to pop up as an NBC censor — and Larry’s love interest.

Go Larry David!!

Yes!!!!! I got HBO back just in time.

My wife and I finished binge watching Atypical on Netflix last night. It stars Michael Rapaport, Jennifer Jason Leigh, and others. It's about an 18-year old on the autism spectrum. We're bummed that we have to wait almost a year for the second season.

Just started it. Man, I hate that I hate Jennifer Jason Leigh's character so much.

Anyone watching the new Ken Burns Vietnam war documentary? It’s really well done and fascinating to me. He was able to get interviews with many North Vietnamese and South Vietnamese soldiers. My wife finds it too disturbing.

Anyone watching the new Ken Burns Vietnam war documentary? It’s really well done and fascinating to me. He was able to get interviews with many North Vietnamese and South Vietnamese soldiers. My wife finds it too disturbing.

Watched parts 1 and 2 so far. I "thought" I knew a lot about the beginnings of the war, but I have learned a lot from this doc.

Watched parts 1 and 2 so far. I "thought" I knew a lot about the beginnings of the war, but I have learned a lot from this doc.

Same for me. There is a great amount of detail. The conversations that were recorded and used in the doc between LBJ and his administration were very interesting and frustrating.

Go Larry David!!

I'm VERY excited for this. Seinfeld is a classic.....but Curb is the pinnacle of comedy. Larry David is a genius.

YES! Everybody needs to be watching this.

Where can I watch this?

My TV tastes tend more toward the entertainment side of the spectrum. most of the shows I watch are sci-fi or superhero based - except I do watch L & O SVU and Chicago PD.

Anyway - watched the 2-hour premier of "Marvel's Inhumans." the show has been getting terrible reviews. I wouldn't say it was terrible - but it wasn't great either. One of the reasons I watched was because the lead actor is Anson Mount, who I liked in "Hell on Wheels." But, he's playing a character (Black Bolt) who doesn't speak, which limits what he can do from a dramatic standpoint. A few of the characters were interesting, but the general level of acting was not great. It's a limited-run series - 8 episodes. I'm a Marvel junkie, so I'll probably watch the rest of the episodes. (on DVR - it's running on Friday night - the night where shows go to die.)

I am familiar with the characters from the comics, but if you don't have a background, I could see where the show could be confusing to follow. And, it forces them to shoehorn a lot of exposition into the plot to explain who the characters are and their motivation. Anyway, a far cry from the level of the Marvel shows on Netflix. I think that is where this should have gone. without the editorial restrictions of prime-time network TV, they might have been able to spice things up a little bit and make the show more interesting.

Anybody else watching the quite disturbing, yet fascinating "Mr. Mercedes?"

Top Bottom