All Things TV Series Recommendations/Reviews

Any chance anyone is watching "The Fighting Season", which is only airing on the Audition Channel on DirecTV?

Created by Ricky Schroder, yes, the Schroder from Silver Spoons. It's shot in 2014 Afghanistan, showing the U.S. troops perspective. Looks pretty interesting, I'm recording it tonight. It started last week.

I watched a brief interview with Schroder on it and I have to say it looks intriguing.

All caught up on Banshee. Don't know how the guy is still alive. Ridiculously phony series at times, but hooked enough on it to watch the next season.

If you like outrageously stupid comedy shows like Always Sunny......check out 'Big Time in Hollywood, Florida' on Comedy Central. Season just ended. It's genius. Cuba Gooding Jr.'s best role since Jerry Maguire.

Turn on Netflix right now and watch Daredevil. It's rather violent, so don't watch if that sort of thing bothers you.

I tried Daredevil, and I'm not sure I'll continue. Maybe I'm just not into the superhero genre (except for Kick-Ass, of course). Or maybe my expectations were too high considering the praise on the board here. I thought it was good but not outstanding.

The Affair is still the best show on TV. New episodes in October.

I'm a big Daredevil fan so I definitely had a biased opinion.

If you're under 35 check out Silicon Valley. Its great!

If you're under 35 check out Silicon Valley. Its great!

I hope season 3 gets a full 20+ episodes. I remember entourage starting out with 10-12 episodes the first couple seasons and then they gave it 20+ in season 3. I hope that is the same result for Silicon Valley. The show is great, but season 2 is finishing up next week and it was just way too short.

Anyone else watching Tyrant? Season 2 just started. We've enjoyed the show.

Also so an ad for another season of Fargo coming out in September on FX. Looks like it will all be new characters.

'Suits' starts up again Wednesday the 24th on USA. Dpo and I will be keeping an eye on Donna.

donna+awesome.gif

True Detective on Sunday.

Early reviews are not promising.

Just watched the season six finale (most likely forever) of Community (On Yahoo for those who care). One of the best finales I've ever seen. Harmon goes out on top.

Anyone else catch the first couple episodes of the new season of Last Comic Standing? I really like the new format they started last year -- invitation round instead of open auditions, judges have more say. Keenen, Roseanne, & Norm are awesome judges -- great commentary and bring some legitimacy to the show. I also like the new host, though I have no idea who he is.

It was cool seeing Andy Erikson on the show this week. A few years ago I gave stand-up a semi-earnest go for about a year, and Andy had also just started doing some of the same open mics. She has some great material, better than what she did on LCS, maybe she's saving her best stuff. Though I'm not sure she can command an audience enough to make it past the first few rounds.

Anyone else watching Tyrant? Season 2 just started. We've enjoyed the show.

Also so an ad for another season of Fargo coming out in September on FX. Looks like it will all be new characters.

My wife & I watch Tyrant. Good enough to hold my attention and DVR each week, but nothing spectacular. Definitely an interesting topic for a show. I haven't watched this week's yet, but last week was probably the best of the season. My biggest complaint is Basam's wife. Hate her character and not at all believable.

Just finished the first disc of Fargo from Netflix. Loved it.

Nokomis;1079702) A few years ago I gave stand-up a semi-earnest go for about a year said:
I'm envisioning a mix of Lennie Bruce, Andy Kaufman, Jerry Seinfeld, Richard Pryor, and Rip Taylor.
6a00d8341c743353ef01a51189effa970c-800wi

I'm envisioning a mix of Lennie Bruce, Andy Kaufman, Jerry Seinfeld, Richard Pryor, and Rip Taylor.
6a00d8341c743353ef01a51189effa970c-800wi

Ha! I wish... It was really more of a mix of Dane Cook, Carlos Mencia & Carrot Top. In addition to solo stand-up, I also developed a music/comedy duo with a friend. We modeled it after the Smothers Brothers. Our only paying gig was at the Eagles Club in St. Paul. Our act was lost on the kids up front, but we had the old Eagles members sitting at the back bar rolling.

Anyone else catch the first couple episodes of the new season of Last Comic Standing? I really like the new format they started last year -- invitation round instead of open auditions, judges have more say. Keenen, Roseanne, & Norm are awesome judges -- great commentary and bring some legitimacy to the show. I also like the new host, though I have no idea who he is.

It was cool seeing Andy Erikson on the show this week. A few years ago I gave stand-up a semi-earnest go for about a year, and Andy had also just started doing some of the same open mics. She has some great material, better than what she did on LCS, maybe she's saving her best stuff. Though I'm not sure she can command an audience enough to make it past the first few rounds.

Andy killed it last night! Second best comic of the night, IMO. She made it through to the next round. She's mastered her quirky style and is so different than all of the other comics. That may be enough to move her along in the competition, as long as her material stays strong.

Just wondering - did anyone else watch the premier of "Fear the Walking Dead" Sunday night on AMC?
I had a very mixed reaction. I liked some of the actors in the show - but (spoiler alert), the show runners made what I find to be a really odd choice - they based the plot of the 1st episode around a teenage heroin addict. Just the type of character we can all relate to.

And, this series is set at the onset of the walker (or zombie, if you prefer) outbreak, and as a result, people who watch the regular Walking Dead series know what's going on, but the characters on the show don't, which makes them look like idiots a good deal of the time. I mean, if you ran over someone with your pickup truck TWICE, and that someone kept getting back up, wouldn't you figure out pretty quick that something really f'ed up was going on?

Anyway, just wondering if anyone else watched the show and what they thought.

Just wondering - did anyone else watch the premier of "Fear the Walking Dead" Sunday night on AMC?
I had a very mixed reaction. I liked some of the actors in the show - but (spoiler alert), the show runners made what I find to be a really odd choice - they based the plot of the 1st episode around a teenage heroin addict. Just the type of character we can all relate to.

And, this series is set at the onset of the walker (or zombie, if you prefer) outbreak, and as a result, people who watch the regular Walking Dead series know what's going on, but the characters on the show don't, which makes them look like idiots a good deal of the time. I mean, if you ran over someone with your pickup truck TWICE, and that someone kept getting back up, wouldn't you figure out pretty quick that something really f'ed up was going on?

Anyway, just wondering if anyone else watched the show and what they thought.

I pretty feel the same way so far. Not bad, but not great. My hope is it will get better as it continues.

Hollywood Reporter: Kurt Sutter Developing 'Sons of Anarchy' Mayans Spinoff for FX

Sons of Anarchy creator Kurt Sutter is prepping a potential spinoff to his long-running FX biker drama, which wrapped with record ratings in late 2014. Though it’s still early in the development process, the follow-up will center on the Mayans Motorcycle Club, which played a key role in the original.

For the time being, Sutter, who graces the current cover of The Hollywood Reporter, is keeping mum on details, so questions remain about the time period and the potential for Sons' stars to return. What he did reveal is that it will be a different show, noting that "tone, pace, storytelling will be unique." On Sons, the Mayans were positioned as a rival California motorcycle club, comprising mostly Mexican-Americans in the heroin distribution business. The Oakland charter, led by president Marcus Alvarez (played by Emilio Rivera), began the series as SAMCRO’s adversary. But as time went on, SAMCRO built up a tenuous working relationship with the Mayans, both as business partners and partners in crime and turf wars. (The spinoff will not be set in Northern California as Sons was.)

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/kurt-sutter-developing-sons-anarchy-817650

Go SAMCRO!!

Has anyone here watched Season 3 of Orange is the New Black?

We recently finished Season 2, which I thought was really slow and not nearly as good as the first season. I'm not even sure I want to watch Season 3, but am curious for others opinions.

Go Gophers!!

Has anyone here watched Season 3 of Orange is the New Black? We recently finished Season 2, which I thought was really slow and not nearly as good as the first season. I'm not even sure I want to watch Season 3, but am curious for others opinions. Go Gophers!!

I finished the third season last night. It started slowly and I almost dropped it after the first couple of episodes but, overall, I'm glad that I stayed with it. The series has gone a little soft and the flashbacks got a old this season, but there were enough interesting subplots and characters to make it a worthwhile watch. It's far from Breaking Bad, Justified and House of Cards, but it's still good.

Andy killed it last night! Second best comic of the night, IMO. She made it through to the next round. She's mastered her quirky style and is so different than all of the other comics. That may be enough to move her along in the competition, as long as her material stays strong.

Andy had another solid set last week and made it through to the final five. Finale is tomorrow.

Anyone watching Married on FX? My favorite sitcom by a long shot.

The Knick on Cinemax will be back for the second season in about a month. Excellent show. All episodes on HBO on Demand right now......fyi.

Top Bottom