Martez Shabazz commits to Minn

Rivals now lists us as having six DB commits:
Jeremy Baltazar (Juco)
Briean Boddy (Juco)
Dinero Moss
Eric Murray
Nick Rallis
Martez Shabazz (Juco)

I know Rallis is a more of a S/LB. Anyone know for sure if the other five are considered CB's only or could they play safety as well?

I've always had Dinero Moss pegged as a safety based on what I've seen of him in his clips (I believe ESPN has him listed as a S as well). Murray is a CB.

Not sure about the JUCOs.

Also, I think Rallis is an in-the-box SS. Change positions down the road if he's too slow to cut it, but I'd start him there.

Jeremy Baltazar (Juco)
Briean Boddy (Juco)
Dinero Moss
Eric Murray
Nick Rallis
Martez Shabazz (Juco)

I know Rallis is a more of a S/LB. Anyone know for sure if the other five are considered CB's only or could they play safety as well?

How much eligibility to the Juco DB have? I believe Boddy will be a sophomore (4 years to play 3). Will both Shabazz and Baltazar be Juniors?

Gopherprof said:
I've always had Dinero Moss pegged as a safety based on what I've seen of him in his clips (I believe ESPN has him listed as a S as well). Murray is a CB.

Not sure about the JUCOs.

Correct - Moss is pegged as safety. We also MAY get Troy back at CB.

Jeremy Baltazar (Juco)
Briean Boddy (Juco)
Dinero Moss
Eric Murray
Nick Rallis
Martez Shabazz (Juco)

In my head, here is how I envision it:
Baltazar: S (probably)
Boddy: CB
Moss: CB (could see him ending up a S)
Murray: CB
Rallis: LB
Shabazz: CB

Moss could play both, but everything i've read indicates he'll be a CB.
Rallis, I would be shocked if he didn't end up a LB.

Jeremy Baltazar (Juco)
Briean Boddy (Juco)
Dinero Moss
Eric Murray
Nick Rallis
Martez Shabazz (Juco)

Assuming they all sign the positive will be the coaches will have a number of different guys to look at and figure out where they will fit in the secondary. Figure on most of the freshman they go in hoping to red shirt them so that will buy another year to evaluate and find the best spot for them.

On the JC kids based on size alone it would appear that Boddy and Shabazz would be more natural at CB and Baltazar is a little bigger so could end up at safety. But I don't think any of those decisions will be made until they see them in person and figure out who really has the best cover skills.

If he graduates in December it means a couple of things. First, we get him early and he gets in a spring practice session...very important for a JC player. Secondly, and I'm assuming his December graduation is a semester early and not a semester late, his grades must be OK.

Rallis has a long, long road back from injury. We'll see if he can even practice next season...

Might be 4.3, might be 4.4 It looks like he will be a under 4.5 and we don't have many with that kind of speed. Welcome to Minnesota.

dlw4gophers got it right

Might be 4.3, might be 4.4 It looks like he will be a under 4.5 and we don't have many with that kind of speed. Welcome to Minnesota.

It is how fast you react and play the game that counts and you don't determine that with a stop watch. What we do seem to know is that this guy is fast per dlw4gophers.

any word on Rallis' recovery/injury?

Also remember that Kill has said the recruiting sites are half wrong so maybe one or two of those DBs listed isnt actually a commit. Pure speculation. But the best possible news regarding our defensive secondary next year would not be a JC committ, it would be Mr. Stoudamire (sp?) being granted another year and having him back in the starting line up at both CB and KR (imagine having jones and troy back for KR and both 100% healthy, SCARY).

Yep. JuCo kids it is less about their grades as it is about the exact classes they took and if they transfer over. For instance, one school might require all of their freshman to take calculus and another school might not. A transferring player will have to not only be academically eligible (per clearinghouse) but also have a requisite resume to transfer into that particulare school. It's entirely possible that a player A could transfer into Baylor and not Minnesota and player B could transfer into Minnesota and not Baylor.

It's why their is so much confusion with getting JuCo's into school.

Bob is correct as usual. Each school can make determinations as to what counts for admission into their particular school provided the kid has passed the clearinghouse standards.

first welcome Martez. Sooo many Zzz's in his name...

I dont think I ever heard what Rallis' injury was? If it's that bad, does anyone think he might be a grayshirt candidate? At any rate hope he gets better soon.

first welcome Martez. Sooo many Zzz's in his name...

I dont think I ever heard what Rallis' injury was? If it's that bad, does anyone think he might be a grayshirt candidate? At any rate hope he gets better soon.

I saw him at games this year. Didn't appear injured badly.
I thought it was just a broken bone.

I think people are taking Kill too literally when he said that half the commits were wrong. I don't have a lot of great things to say about rivals, but their commit list is rarely, if ever, that far off.

Great news to see a handful of JUCO DB recruits lined up right now, especially if many of them can be in school for spring ball.

Important to remember that they don't have to come up big on ALL of them. If Kill brings in 3-4 JUCO DB's and if even just 2 of them are BT starting caliber for 1-2 years, he'll have done his job and I'd be ecstatic. Not all of the JUCO's (or HS recruits for that matter) have to be All-BT material for them to be solid additions.

The secondary is a major concern next year. Coming up big on a couple of JUCO's would really solidify things.

I think people are taking Kill too literally when he said that half the commits were wrong. I don't have a lot of great things to say about rivals, but their commit list is rarely, if ever, that far off.

He was probably exaggerating a bit, but he was proven right in that multiple guys (Morris, Hills, Twitty off the top of my head) no longer have offers. I can think of 2-3 other players that will likely be in this same position that have been discussed.

Thanks for the responses guys. Obviously they won't know for sure who is best suited where until they get them on campus.

(imagine having jones and troy back for KR and both 100% healthy, SCARY).

My thoughts exactly. You risk kicking to a possible home run every time. Maybe we'd see a lot of fat man kick returns a la Tommy O.:D

It is how fast you react and play the game that counts and you don't determine that with a stop watch. What we do seem to know is that this guy is fast per dlw4gophers.

Thanks killjoy. I try to add a comment and you have to insert a knife and twist. We all know your the only one with recruiting knowledge, so I defer to you. My point was, 40 times are bunk. They are always faster than the person really is, but if he is listed at 4.3, then it is a good bet that he really is a sub 4.5 guy. That is good speed according to MOST people.

Apparently Baylor wanted Shabazz to retake a course via a mini semester which he couldn't financially accommodate. Whether it's, couldn't or wouldn't, doesn't matter as long as he signs on the 21st.

Baylor's a pretty good school now.

They have $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Baylor's a pretty good school now.

They have $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

You're right. It's a small school that produces many influential doctors and lawyers in TX. They almost blocked the A&M move to the SEC. Their football existence has been supported almost exclusively by visiting fans from A&M, TX, and Texas Tech. They'll be hurting now that A&M has bolted and will become irrelevant if and when the Big 12 dissolves. Shabazz is making a smart move because Baylor will be scrambling when the Big 12 likely dissolves unlike the B1G.

Go Gophers!

dlw4gophers

Thanks killjoy. I try to add a comment and you have to insert a knife and twist. We all know your the only one with recruiting knowledge, so I defer to you. My point was, 40 times are bunk. They are always faster than the person really is, but if he is listed at 4.3, then it is a good bet that he really is a sub 4.5 guy. That is good speed according to MOST people.

Sorry about that.

I believe maybe my comment that "It is how fast you react and play the game that counts and you don't determine that with a stop watch." was confusing and may have led you to believe that I was disagreeing with you. When I added the statement that “What we do seem to know is that this guy is fast per dlw4gophers” I was trying to say that I agreed with your statement that we know enough “that he very likely a sub 4.5 guy”. My bad.

Wow, Shabazz looks like a front-runner for a starting job next fall. At any rate, our defensive secondary looks to have some depth after all. Whew!

Top Bottom