Martez Shabazz commits to Minn

boston.gopher

Reaction score
Doogie Tweet

Doogie tweeted about 10 minutes ago that the other gopher forum is reporting that the Gophers are getting a commitment from a player who decommited from another BCS school. I'm assuming this is for football but not sure because I'm not paying for the other site. (loyal GH follower) Does anyone know something about this?

Baylor wouldn't let him in but the Gophers got him in. He's coming to Minny. Nice pick up.

great news if he ends up getting in to school here. we've had trouble in the past with jucos but if kill has the magic sauce to get 'er done then i'm good!

Yea I think he committed to Baylor a few weeks back, but if he can't get into Baylor how can he get into Minnesota? We need bodies in the secondary so I hope he can get in.

JUCO academics don't mean grades as much as course transfer credits. Baylor may not allow a course or two to get transfer credits where the U does...which is fine by me.

Does anyone know his measurables? What is the competition like in that JUCO conference?

JUCO academics don't mean grades as much as course transfer credits. Baylor may not allow a course or two to get transfer credits where the U does...which is fine by me.

Yep. JuCo kids it is less about their grades as it is about the exact classes they took and if they transfer over. For instance, one school might require all of their freshman to take calculus and another school might not. A transferring player will have to not only be academically eligible (per clearinghouse) but also have a requisite resume to transfer into that particulare school. It's entirely possible that a player A could transfer into Baylor and not Minnesota and player B could transfer into Minnesota and not Baylor.

It's why their is so much confusion with getting JuCo's into school.

Another possibility is that he couldn't transfer enough credits to avoid the minimum SAT/ACT requirement. I checked the transfer rules at Baylor and if you don't have 30 transfer credits the minimum test scores apply. Another rule is that you can't have more than 70 transfer credits.

Does anyone know his measurables? What is the competition like in that JUCO conference?

From a google search:
"Baylor offered on Saturday at the OU game. It was exciting to get that one."

After turning in a season with 43 tackles, 35 of them solo, 7 tackles for loss, 21 pass breakups and an interception he was named 1st team all-conference.

"Then at a combine I ran a 4.36, so that got attention."

At 6' 170, the former Desoto Eagle is close to a decision.

"Yeah, I'm close. It's down to Baylor and Minnesota."

"I graduate in December, so it's soon, but I don't want tell anything yet."

11/22 Update:

"I just committed to Baylor!"

This is huge! I have been following this kid...solid starter right away - loving this!

Rivals now has him listed as a 3* DB verbal 4.4/40. Speed is what Coach Kill wants. Now can the guy be the go to cover guy he also wants.

This is huge! I have been following this kid...solid starter right away - loving this!

Let's not get ahead of things. Given our needs in the secondary and the fact that he has some experience he has a good shot of being a starter right away. But JC kids tend to be very hit and miss so there is no telling if he will be an impact guy till he has a chance to get on campus and show what he can do. Obviously we all hope you're right but I get real nervous about putting high expectations on JC kids because we have had very mixed results with them.

He originally wanted to be at Baylor. I hope now he wants to truly be a Gopher, and Minnesota is not looked at as a "last resort."

A man with three Z's in his name has to be good.

Baylor is riding the wave right now. Scout has at 27th. Says he will graduate in December, hope that means he'll be here in January. I don't see a downside. Need the kid from Osseo and a JUCO DT.

Gopher07 said:
A man with three Z's in his name has to be good.

Agree - That is a cool name to go along with 4.3 speed.

Just a warning Parski, you keep bringing up the 4.3 speed and you will get your head bit off. (Not from me).

Bob_Loblaw

Just a warning Parski, you keep bringing up the 4.3 speed and you will get your head bit off. (Not from me).

How "fast" will it be before that happens? How about 4.36 seconds.

The kid put up his time, at a combine, that usually means electronically timed. Combine and track times, in competition, are somwhat more believable because you have a third party doing the timing.

That's a good conference there. 1st team all-conference is significant

Bob_Loblaw said:

Keep bringing it up? This is only my second time. I followed this kid before he gave a verbal to Baylor. Multiple sources besides his mom (since I know its coming) say he runs a 4.3 - he's fast and that's what we need. If #11 gets a medical redshirt we have solid speed at DB now.

Keep bringing it up? This is only my second time. I followed this kid before he gave a verbal to Baylor. Multiple sources besides his mom (since I know its coming) say he runs a 4.3 - he's fast and that's what we need. If #11 gets a medical redshirt we have solid speed at DB now.

Parski, it seriously was just a warning. There are people on this site who hate the discussion of 40 times. I wasn't saying you were bringing it up too much, I was just saying that a lot of arguments break out around 40 times. I'm rarely, if ever, in them.

Top Bottom