Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Doogie Tweet

Doogie tweeted about 10 minutes ago that the other gopher forum is reporting that the Gophers are getting a commitment from a player who decommited from another BCS school. I'm assuming this is for football but not sure because I'm not paying for the other site. (loyal GH follower) Does anyone know something about this?

Default Martez Shabazz commits to Minn

Baylor wouldn't let him in but the Gophers got him in. He's coming to Minny. Nice pick up.

3. Default

Yep, it's on Zack Johnson's twitter as well:

https://twitter.com/ZachJohnsonGI

I wonder if it's Gregory (Arkansas soft)?

great news if he ends up getting in to school here. we've had trouble in the past with jucos but if kill has the magic sauce to get 'er done then i'm good!

Didn't he just commit 3 weeks ago?

Quote Originally Posted by Gold Vision View Post
    Didn't he just commit 3 weeks ago?
    Ya, it would seem he wasn't good enough academically to get in.

7. Default

Yea I think he committed to Baylor a few weeks back, but if he can't get into Baylor how can he get into Minnesota? We need bodies in the secondary so I hope he can get in.

Quote Originally Posted by MilesTarver View Post
    Yea I think he committed to Baylor a few weeks back, but if he can't get into Baylor how can he get into Minnesota?
    Baylor is private.
    Stroke the post

JUCO academics don't mean grades as much as course transfer credits. Baylor may not allow a course or two to get transfer credits where the U does...which is fine by me.

10. Default

Does anyone know his measurables? What is the competition like in that JUCO conference?

11. Default

Nm
    Last edited by Gold Vision; 12-12-2011 at 08:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GopherinPhilly View Post
    JUCO academics don't mean grades as much as course transfer credits. Baylor may not allow a course or two to get transfer credits where the U does...which is fine by me.
    Yep. JuCo kids it is less about their grades as it is about the exact classes they took and if they transfer over. For instance, one school might require all of their freshman to take calculus and another school might not. A transferring player will have to not only be academically eligible (per clearinghouse) but also have a requisite resume to transfer into that particulare school. It's entirely possible that a player A could transfer into Baylor and not Minnesota and player B could transfer into Minnesota and not Baylor.

It's why their is so much confusion with getting JuCo's into school.

Another possibility is that he couldn't transfer enough credits to avoid the minimum SAT/ACT requirement. I checked the transfer rules at Baylor and if you don't have 30 transfer credits the minimum test scores apply. Another rule is that you can't have more than 70 transfer credits.
    Last edited by nsmike; 12-12-2011 at 08:20 PM.

14. Default

Quote Originally Posted by MilesTarver View Post
    Does anyone know his measurables? What is the competition like in that JUCO conference?
    From a google search:
    "Baylor offered on Saturday at the OU game. It was exciting to get that one."

After turning in a season with 43 tackles, 35 of them solo, 7 tackles for loss, 21 pass breakups and an interception he was named 1st team all-conference.

"Then at a combine I ran a 4.36, so that got attention."

At 6' 170, the former Desoto Eagle is close to a decision.

"Yeah, I'm close. It's down to Baylor and Minnesota."

"I graduate in December, so it's soon, but I don't want tell anything yet."

11/22 Update:

"I just committed to Baylor!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gopherprof View Post
    Baylor is private.
    A great number of private schools are sh*theaps that let anyone in. Is Baylor seriously harder to get in to than the U of M? I guess it's possible but I strongly doubt it.

Blog Entries

This is huge! I have been following this kid...solid starter right away - loving this!

17. Default

Rivals now has him listed as a 3* DB verbal 4.4/40. Speed is what Coach Kill wants. Now can the guy be the go to cover guy he also wants.

Quote Originally Posted by Parski1 View Post
    This is huge! I have been following this kid...solid starter right away - loving this!
    Let's not get ahead of things. Given our needs in the secondary and the fact that he has some experience he has a good shot of being a starter right away. But JC kids tend to be very hit and miss so there is no telling if he will be an impact guy till he has a chance to get on campus and show what he can do. Obviously we all hope you're right but I get real nervous about putting high expectations on JC kids because we have had very mixed results with them.

He originally wanted to be at Baylor. I hope now he wants to truly be a Gopher, and Minnesota is not looked at as a "last resort."

Does this mean we are done with JuCo DBs?