Battle for Atlantis 2012

Beat the Dukies!!!!

Awesome National Awareness!!!

TV Schedule for the Gophers Duke game is already out.

Gophers and Duke will play at 3:30 pm eastern and it will be TV on AXS TV formally known as HDNet.

Absolutely juiced up for this one. Good stuff. Say what you want about Tubby, but he's done an excellent job beating some of the biggest names on our preseason schedules.

Keys to beating dook: Defend the 3 pt. line and dominate them inside.

Hopefully Trevor and Big Mo have the rust shaken off by the time this game rolls around. If they do, we'll be a force inside with those two, EE and even Ingram.

Naturally they end up on HDNet right after I lose DirecTV. How does the best non-conference game in years end up on the most obscure channel? Oh well.

Duke earned a #2 seed last year, but they were routed by OSU, lost 2 of 3 to Florida State, and lost a home game to Miami. And of course they lost to #15 seed Lehigh. They just did not have a very talented team, and they added some athletes but they probably won't be ready to play at the level they need to be at when they face the Gophers. Duke is ripe for the picking. If the big men are healthy, I will be disappointed if Minnesota doesn't win this one. It is a "Golden" opportunity for a quality nonconference win for the Gophers. I'm not thinking Duke will be a #2 seed again, but they should still be something like a 4 or 5 seed. A win there and you get another great opportunity for a winnable game against a quality opponent. Reminds me a lot of the situation the Gophers were in a couple years ago when they beat UNC and WVU.

How do you watch the NBC Sports Network? I don't think I have the HD Net/AXS TV channel. But I do remember UM was in an early season tourney a couple years ago on HD Net and there were pirated streams that got out on the internet for each game.

Exciting matchup. I might have to check out a local sports bar for Thanksgiving dinner!

That's a lot of beef. I'd probably include Rodney on that list as can bang a little too. Also, not likely to see much action this year, but moving forward another guy who's not afraid to mix it up is Oto & he's an inch+ taller than Rodney so he's a legit 6'8"+ & will be like 24-25 yo his Jr & Sr years.

Hopefully Trevor and Big Mo have the rust shaken off by the time this game rolls around. If they do, we'll be a force inside with those two, EE and even Ingram.

How do you watch the NBC Sports Network? I don't think I have the HD Net/AXS TV channel. But I do remember UM was in an early season tourney a couple years ago on HD Net and there were pirated streams that got out on the internet for each game.

If you have Directv and the right package it is channel 603. It's where the NHL has there cable TV package

Really looking forward to this. I hope everyone stays healthy. I feel snakebit after watching all the injury, academic, etc. problems of the recent years. I'd love to see this team build on the NIT jolt, enjoy the return of two top producing injured players, etc.

I would love to be more optimistic about this game, BUT.........

put me in the camp of "I'll have to see it to believe it." Duke is a proven commodity - a national program, used to playing in the spotlight. The Gophers will have to be extremely focused to avoid getting caught up in the hype and hoopla. Plus, there are still health-related questions on Mbakwe and big Mo.

Don't get me wrong - I think the Gophs have the potential to be a very entertaining team this season, but if I were a bookie, I would definitely make Duke the favorite in this game. Still, there isn't a lot of downside to this game. A loss to Duke could help later on in the RPI, and won't hurt that much in the national or computer rankings. And the exposure to a marquee game should help the younger players on the Gopher squad.

And - if the Gophs are able to win the game, it gives them a boost in national attention.

The only downside I see would be if the Gophs get beat bad, or if there is a significant injury.

While it's a cool matchup and a win is possible, it means little if we're not successul in the NCAA tourney. We've beaten great teams in November and December many times before.

If we beat Duke would that change anything in the "Tyus" sweepstakes?

Don't get me wrong - I think the Gophs have the potential to be a very entertaining team this season, but if I were a bookie, I would definitely make Duke the favorite in this game. Still, there isn't a lot of downside to this game. A loss to Duke could help later on in the RPI, and won't hurt that much in the national or computer rankings. And the exposure to a marquee game should help the younger players on the Gopher squad.

I don't think anyone is making a case for the Gophers to be the favorite, just that we have a very solid team returning that could give Duke a run for their money.

I don't think anyone is making a case for the Gophers to be the favorite, just that we have a very solid team returning that could give Duke a run for their money.

We will beat Duke 156-73 and see how Coach K likes it. Book it.

Roll Call:

I understand it's still 70 days away (yes, i'm counting down) but thought we could try and get a count among GopherHolers

How many in your group?

Where is everyone staying?

I'm sure I can do this on my own time, but just out of curiosity, how much are you spending on the trip. Hotel, Tickets, and Plane ticket? Rough estimate?

Creative Charters

is promoting a package of air - room - tickets - for $1700. Double occ only however. There may be less costly ways to go - haven't checked..

Roll Call:

I understand it's still 70 days away (yes, i'm counting down) but thought we could try and get a count among GopherHolers

How many in your group?

Where is everyone staying?

I hope to go, but am struggling to secure tickets. I have private lodging through some connections about a 10 minute walk from Atlantis, and it looks like plane tickets are in the $600-700 range. Atlantis has told me twice that they won't sell tickets to anyone not booked in the resort. I am told by locals that they rattle that sabre until about mid October and then begin selling to the public. I have the time off, but don't want to commit to a plane ticket until I know I can get game tickets.

The tickets are the only thing i'm waiting on also. There are 3 of us going. We have our room and flights all booked already. I was reading the VCU forum and someone mentioned that the tournament planned to release info soon on tickets for people not staying at Atlantis. The group through Creative Charter isn't staying at Atlantis so either they worked out a deal with the company hosting the tourney (Atlantis is just the site) or they know tickets will be going on sale to public eventually.

I am going down there and staying across from the atlantis in like the comfort suites or something like that, you get all the perks of staying at the atlantis without the price. Hope to see a big following of gopher fans down there! Our turn out at the old spice last year was pretty poor

I am going down there and staying across from the atlantis in like the comfort suites or something like that, you get all the perks of staying at the atlantis without the price. Hope to see a big following of gopher fans down there! Our turn out at the old spice last year was pretty poor

We are going with our boys. FLying to Fort Lauderdale and then taking Bahamasair over to Nassau. We are staying on the Island in a unit rented through VRBO (Vacation Rental By Owner). This particular development is townhomes 1-4 bedrooms and rent inexpensively ($800 for 5 nights) and there is not an energy charge, cleaning charge, pool usage charge, etc. The unit is fully equiped so we can do breakfasts and have a little extra room as compared to a hotel room and is 15 minute walk to Atlantis.

We are going with our boys. FLying to Fort Lauderdale and then taking Bahamasair over to Nassau. We are staying on the Island in a unit rented through VRBO (Vacation Rental By Owner). This particular development is townhomes 1-4 bedrooms and rent inexpensively ($800 for 5 nights) and there is not an energy charge, cleaning charge, pool usage charge, etc. The unit is fully equiped so we can do breakfasts and have a little extra room as compared to a hotel room and is 15 minute walk to Atlantis.

I'm still debating on whether or not to go, but was the same flight plan I was considering. Would you mind sharing the approx flight cost / times you found? I was also considering going early and/or staying late in FL (have condo to stay at) in order to avoid the higher FLL to MSP costs (I think I recall it being high until Tuesday... but, was thinking of flying from Nassau to FLL on Sunday.

Also.. might need to look into the vacation rental idea... any website for these you suggest?

Thanks!

I'm still debating on whether or not to go, but was the same flight plan I was considering. Would you mind sharing the approx flight cost / times you found? I was also considering going early and/or staying late in FL (have condo to stay at) in order to avoid the higher FLL to MSP costs (I think I recall it being high until Tuesday... but, was thinking of flying from Nassau to FLL on Sunday.

Also.. might need to look into the vacation rental idea... any website for these you suggest?

Thanks!

We are flying Spirit Airlines leaving MSP early/early morning to FLL at a cost of $580. We are then with Bahamasair out of FLL (11am) to NAS at a charge of $240. We have never flown Spirit, so we will see how there performance is. I have spoken with people on both sides of the fence regarding Spirit with some say never again and others vowing never to fly Delta again. We'll come back on MSP on late Sunday evening.
The website is www.vrbo. VRBO is Vacation Rental By Owner. If you find a rental unit that you would like to consider and before you rent it, go to the townhome development's web site. There were discount offers on the individual web site for the townhome development that we rented.
Good luck and Go Gophers!

My roommate and I booked on our own through the Atlantis' website. We were able to negotiate a really reasonable trip through them. It is costing us $1300 roughly each for thurs-mon at the Atlantis resort. Including hotel, transportation, air and a meal plan. We scored a sick flight that gets in that day at around 1pm- 2 and a half hours before the first game. Definitely betting on not having a delayed flight!

But from previous experience of staying at the atlantis, it is probably best to go through the comfort suites across the street. You still get full access to everything at the atlantis for ALOT less. As far as the property goes it is pretty damn impressive in all aspects. Food can get VERY expensive as I remember my family paying $400 for 2 adults and 3 kids to eat at the buffet. So make sure you bring your wallet and a few credit cards if you plan on dining on the property. The flight we booked is through Airtran and it departs early thursday (6am depart 1230pm arrive) and returns monday late night. When we booked it was roughly $600 each for the flight with a $100 airline credit for each ticket from the atlantis.

For those gopher fans that are on the fence, I would definitely recommend this trip. The Bahamas is one of the best vacations I've ever been on and will be even better when we come home with the ship!

We are flying Spirit Airlines leaving MSP early/early morning to FLL at a cost of $580. We are then with Bahamasair out of FLL (11am) to NAS at a charge of $240. We have never flown Spirit, so we will see how there performance is. I have spoken with people on both sides of the fence regarding Spirit with some say never again and others vowing never to fly Delta again. We'll come back on MSP on late Sunday evening.
The website is www.vrbo. VRBO is Vacation Rental By Owner. If you find a rental unit that you would like to consider and before you rent it, go to the townhome development's web site. There were discount offers on the individual web site for the townhome development that we rented.
Good luck and Go Gophers!

Thanks alot for posting this! Im still currently a student using the GI Bill as my only revenue, so funds are limited but this is definitely saving me some money. I am kind of scared of being scammed, but one property on Paradise Island seems pretty legitimate. Go Gophers/Go Rams!

Top Bottom