Battle for Atlantis 2012

Rouser

Reaction score
As Bleed statedin the Maui Classic thread, we will be playing in the Bahama's next year. I read on a Louisville message board that Louisville, Duke and Missouri are also confirmed.. Sounds a a great field. The 2013 Maui field looks good as well. I highly recommend that folks travel to one of these events. We went to the Puerto Rico Tip Off last year and it was great. Its fun chatting with other hoops fans around the resorts/town and then you can catch some sun/waves, followed by tropical drinks followed by Gopher hoops. Doesn't suck.

Thanks Rouser. Looks like Memphis is in the Battle 4 Atlantis, too. The field should stack right up there with Maui. I thought I heard somewhere that the Battle 4 is now the highest paying exempt tournament. Pretty sure UConn got $1 million to commit to the inaugural this season.

The Battle for Atlantis and Maui events will really test the Gophers. The good news is that our backcourt looks to be solid over the next several years. Even if there is a season where the front court is in flux, good guard play can skate us by... And by a strong backcourt, I am assuming continued improvement. Its hard to argue that Austin Hollins has not improved a lot and by next year, I see him as one of the better guards in the big ten. Andre is also improving game to game. If Big Moe can recover by next year, we should be a decent squad and tough out.

How much does it cost to fly to the Bahamas, presumably around Thanksgiving? 2013 Maui may be impossible because of schedule, but the Bahamas might be a nice consolation prize. I agree that the early season tournamants are a great way to see hoops in a casual atmosphere without a lot of front running fans around.

How much does it cost to fly to the Bahamas, presumably around Thanksgiving? 2013 Maui may be impossible because of schedule, but the Bahamas might be a nice consolation prize. I agree that the early season tournamants are a great way to see hoops in a casual atmosphere without a lot of front running fans around.

Depending on exact day of the week of the flight I think it ranges from $650-$750 round trip per person.

That's a stacked field, should be exciting to be a part of as long as this team continues to grow and get better.

Maui is unbelieveable. The gym is tiny. It's super close to the ocean. You can lounge by the pool or walk the beach in the morning, watch ball in the afternoon and go out for dinner in Lahiana in the evening.

The place is fantastic.

Does anyone know the name of the tour operator that schedules trips with the Gophers?

I'm wondering if they'll do this one.

The Battle for Atlantis and Maui events will really test the Gophers. The good news is that our backcourt looks to be solid over the next several years. Even if there is a season where the front court is in flux, good guard play can skate us by... And by a strong backcourt, I am assuming continued improvement. Its hard to argue that Austin Hollins has not improved a lot and by next year, I see him as one of the better guards in the big ten. Andre is also improving game to game. If Big Moe can recover by next year, we should be a decent squad and tough out.

That's an excellent post. But I'm not sure I agree with the statement that Austin will be one of the best guards in the conference next season. Based on what? Four games against vastly inferior competition. I think he has improved since last season no doubt, but to proclaim him "one of the best" by next season may be a bit premature. Michigan alone had two players more skilled than him right now and then there is Craft from Ohio state and all of Illinois# guards and Gasser from Sconny. Nebraska has a transfer from LSU that's lights out too.

Atlantis

Creative Charters is the company
They will do Atlantis and Maui Trips

Saw the field on the VCU board, where Im currently a student - it's pretty stacked, and glad my two favorite teams will be there.

2012 Battle 4 Atlantis:

Duke
Minnesota
Louisville (apparently withdrew from 2012 Maui to play here)
Northern Iowa
Stanford
Missouri
Memphis
VCU

Don't know how well the other teams will be then (besides Duke of course) but VCU will lose one senior (Bradford Burgess) from this year's squad.Also we're over the scholarship limit for next year, so expecting one player to walk. First time playing Tubby since he coached here! Should be a great tournament, hoping to make it there and support the Gophers and Rams

Andy Katz tweeted it out earlier..... That field is absurd.

The 2 mil a pop is real nice too.

That's an excellent post. But I'm not sure I agree with the statement that Austin will be one of the best guards in the conference next season. Based on what? Four games against vastly inferior competition. I think he has improved since last season no doubt, but to proclaim him "one of the best" by next season may be a bit premature. Michigan alone had two players more skilled than him right now and then there is Craft from Ohio state and all of Illinois# guards and Gasser from Sconny. Nebraska has a transfer from LSU that's lights out too.

Maybe if you read his post again you'd see that it says BETTER guards in the big ten, not best guards.

Saw the field on the VCU board, where Im currently a student - it's pretty stacked, and glad my two favorite teams will be there.

2012 Battle 4 Atlantis:

Duke
Minnesota
Louisville (apparently withdrew from 2012 Maui to play here)
Northern Iowa
Stanford
Missouri
Memphis
VCU

Don't know how well the other teams will be then (besides Duke of course) but VCU will lose one senior (Bradford Burgess) from this year's squad.Also we're over the scholarship limit for next year, so expecting one player to walk. First time playing Tubby since he coached here! Should be a great tournament, hoping to make it there and support the Gophers and Rams

This isn't the first time someone has stated we're over the scholarship limit next year. Someone please explain this to me: We lose Trevor and Ralph. We're bringing in Buggs and Ellenson. We lose 2. We gain 2. Is there some sort of silent verbal I don't know about?

As for the tourney, very nice field. Don't want Minnesota to play Duke but if it happens, it happens. I'm pretty sure Duke, Lousville, and Memphis will be top 25 teams.

I read somewhere that Louisville worked something out with the Maui folks where they postpone their involvement in that tourney until 2014.

This isn't the first time someone has stated we're over the scholarship limit next year. Someone please explain this to me: We lose Trevor and Ralph. We're bringing in Buggs and Ellenson. We lose 2. We gain 2. Is there some sort of silent verbal I don't know about?

As for the tourney, very nice field. Don't want Minnesota to play Duke but if it happens, it happens. I'm pretty sure Duke, Lousville, and Memphis will be top 25 teams.

I read somewhere that Louisville worked something out with the Maui folks where they postpone their involvement in that tourney until 2014.

I think FairfaxGopher is referring to VCU being one over the scholarship limit.

With the stacked lineup - how is the tournament seeding done (is it seeded)? Would prefer not to play Duke the first game.

I would love to see a Duke Gophers game. Maybe even Dickie V would do the broadcast. I would love to see that.

shickmyjanski said:
I would love to see a Duke Gophers game. Maybe even Dickie V would do the broadcast. I would love to see that.

He would explode trying to decide if he should bias towards duke or tubby smith.

hate to tell you this. But you won't see Dickie V on the game, if things are were they this year. the Tourney will be on NBC Sports Network (Versus) and HDNet.

Just booked my room for this tournament, looking forward to this, It should be a great time.

Rooms

Where did you get the room and how much was it? Thanks

In the process of trying to get the trip planned for me and a few buddies that are gonna be going down. Anyone got any advice/suggestions? thoughts on creative charters?

In the process of trying to get the trip planned for me and a few buddies that are gonna be going down. Anyone got any advice/suggestions? thoughts on creative charters?

I called down there and everything seems incredibly expensive. Cheaper rooms at Atlantis were in the $190/night range and even tickets to the games on the lower level were over $200 for three days, compared to about $60 in Anaheim a couple years ago. Flights are looking around $750 right now. I was hoping for cheap and am waiting to see what Creative Charters puts together. Right now, it's looking out of my range, but I am hopeful for alternative arrangements that may be cheaper. I need to be in walking distance since I think they drive on the wrong side of the road, and that would be very confusing!

My guess (just a guess based on Creative Charters price to Puerto Rico) would put the package at about $1500/person. To drive on the opposite side of the road, it helps to have a passenger constantly reminding you to stay in the right (wrong) lane!

Wow - this tourney will be stacked - come on give Mbakwe another year!

Has Minnesota Athletics come out with travel packages? I'm looking at VCU's sponsored packages and trying to compare. Here's to a Minnesota and VCU final!

Has Minnesota Athletics come out with travel packages? I'm looking at VCU's sponsored packages and trying to compare. Here's to a Minnesota and VCU final!

I haven't seen anything.. just looked at the Creative Charters website.. says they'll have packages, but there are no details as of tonight.

Interesting thing I saw the VCU website: "In order to attend the games, you must be a guest staying on the resort property; the requirement is a 3 night minimum."... is that true?!

http://www.vcusportstravel.com/basketball/battle-4-atlantis.php... the packages here looks like the range for hotel + tickets range from around $700 to around $1,500 for a 4-night stay at one of the several properties.

Anyone know if the the "arena" is in/by Coral Towers? I thought I remember seeing that...

I haven't seen anything.. just looked at the Creative Charters website.. says they'll have packages, but there are no details as of tonight.

Interesting thing I saw the VCU website: "In order to attend the games, you must be a guest staying on the resort property; the requirement is a 3 night minimum."... is that true?!

http://www.vcusportstravel.com/basketball/battle-4-atlantis.php... the packages here looks like the range for hotel + tickets range from around $700 to around $1,500 for a 4-night stay at one of the several properties.

From all I've seen on the VCU end, you have to stay at the resort. Seems right, as they want the revenue their tournament brings. If you go 4 to the cheapest room, it turns out to be $550 a person (for our VCU package, including tickets, without airfare). Without the package, tickets are $250 for lower bowl, to all games.

Lots of general ticket information on our thread: http://www.vcuramnation.com/forums/threads/battle-4-atlantis-2012.7112/page-13

My parents (from Minnesota) are looking to come out there as well, just looking for the cheapest airfare.

Contacted Creative Charters and they said they should have some information on the trip mid-may. really hoping they come up with a reasonable package.

Top Bottom