Official Horrid Special Teams Thread:

LesBolstad

Reaction score
1st 7 minutes include two long NW kick returns; failure to catch a short kickoff in the air; and a 12 yard punt. Nice work Gophs.

For God sake, find someone who can punt! There's gotta be an athlete on the baseball team who punted in high school.

remember when Brewster said Orseke was the best punter in the country?

Orseske era finally comes to an end

By far the most inconsistent punter I have ever seen and glad we are looking at someone else. I think this is the last we ever see from him and i think he is gone after this season. Between his on field play and off field behavior he is good as gone.

Who's the best senior high school punter in Minnesota? Get him to walk on, it would have to be an upgrade.

Punter and someone who can catch a long pass!

Halftime Punt Stats...

MN 3 for 18/punt.

NW 2 for 49/punt.

Where are all of these problems coming from? He used to have monster punts.

By far the most inconsistent punter I have ever seen and glad we are looking at someone else. I think this is the last we ever see from him and i think he is gone after this season. Between his on field play and off field behavior he is good as gone.
Maroon92,

1. What off field behavior are you talking about?

2. He is only a sophomore. Why do you think he is gone?

3. Maybe it is a confidence issue or a coaching issue. He was booming punts in practice before the season. Something mechnical going wrong? If so, coaching should fix it.

4. Please elaborate. Thank you.

I've mentioned this before, it's got to be mental with Orseske. He's shown he can be a very good punter. He's kicked some of the longest punts I've ever seen. But he's also shown he can be very bad. It's got to be something in his head.

Maroon92,

1. What off field behavior are you talking about?

2. He is only a sophomore. Why do you think he is gone?

3. Maybe it is a confidence issue or a coaching issue. He was booming punts in practice before the season. Something mechnical going wrong? If so, coaching should fix it.

4. Please elaborate. Thank you.

Dan and I share a common friend and this is what i heard. So "allegedly" he was caught underage drinking and was in Kill's doghouse and ran killers in practice in front of the team until almost puking. Also told he would need to earn his scholarship back. This is why I am guessing he may not be back.

I agree it is both mental and mechanical. There are way to many shanks because he is not being rushed but someone it is off the side of his foot way to often. When he connects he is very good but he can't go a game without a short kick-- i believe he has around 7-8 this year shorter than 25 yards.

I've mentioned this before, it's got to be mental with Orseske. He's shown he can be a very good punter. He's kicked some of the longest punts I've ever seen. But he's also shown he can be very bad. It's got to be something in his head.

Why is Tiger Woods now "sucking?". I liken this to a golfer developing swinging problems. He may need some film time and extra work to figure out between the steps, drop strike, and follow through what is happening when he shanks them. It may not be this season, but I bet he gets it figured out. Going back to the Mason era, we've had a few punters that have had temporary punting issues.

Michigan player failed to field a punt, also, and it resulted in a Nebraska TD after the exchange - Nebraska set up on the Michiogan 31. Remember Hayden Fry: defense, the kicking game, a good quarterback, in that order.

Believe it or not, we are not the worst punting team in the B10

PUNTING G No. Yards Avg/P Ret. Avg. TB Net/P
9. Minnesota 11 52 1968 37.8 38 0.7 5 35.2
10. Michigan State 11 50 1968 39.4 108 2.2 6 34.8
11. Illinois 11 58 2171 37.4 135 2.3 3 34.1
12. Michigan 11 39 1474 37.8 169 4.3 1 32.9

Believe it or not, we are not the worst punting team in the B10

PUNTING G No. Yards Avg/P Ret. Avg. TB Net/P
9. Minnesota 11 52 1968 37.8 38 0.7 5 35.2
10. Michigan State 11 50 1968 39.4 108 2.2 6 34.8
11. Illinois 11 58 2171 37.4 135 2.3 3 34.1
12. Michigan 11 39 1474 37.8 169 4.3 1 32.9

Statistically, we might not be the worst punting team. But when you're punter shanks the ball for 10 yards half the time and it gets to the point where you may as well go for it.... There's a problem.

punting stats

I would agree average wise we are not bad--but the too many punts that gives the other team a short field is what is killing us. If he punted 38 yards every punt that us much different than having punts of 45,45,45,45 and 15.

I am sure we have to be the lowest in touch-backs on kickoffs this year. Overall these are two areas that need to be improved for next year.

Top Bottom