Joe Paterno has lung cancer

Wow. What an amazing coincidence that this is just coming out now. What are the odds?

Wow...my first thought was an entirely inappropriate line from Dave Chappelle.

I'm going to hell.

OK, I'll say what some of you are thinking. This announcement's timing seems strategic at best. I predict the first public pictures of Paterno will be with him playing outside with his grandkids. No doubt he'll have a PR firm working to shape his image to remind us that he's an 80+ year old grandpa from here on out. I hope he beats the cancer.

OOOH! My Arm! It's broken!

I agree with Stan. Not to belittle the seriousness of the diagnosis, but the timing is VERY suspicious. Did JoePa wake up last Thursday and say "Oh, I don't have to coach today. I guess I'll go get a physical."

My guess is that he's known about this a long time. Up until 2 weeks ago, he was probably hiding it from potential recruits, as well as the factions at PSU who were trying to ease JoePa out. When someone gets to be Paterno's age, less aggressive treatments are often the norm. Basically just enough to keep the cancer in check. We all know how frail Paterno is. Full-on Chemo would be more likely to kill him than the cancer would. Or surgery. A friend of mine had lung cancer. I saw the scars from his operation. Technically, they almost cut you in two. I really think this is a blatant publicity ploy by his kid, who doesn't always strike me as the sharpest knife in the drawer.

In my weaker moments, I can be extremely cynical, but this one has my head spinning given the past two weeks in Happy Valley.

When the story started out, I thought, "Well, this really stinks (which it does)," but then the story continues and the announcer makes it sound to be a type of lung cancer that's about as serious as an ingrown toenail as doctors and family don't seem all that worried.

I hope Paterno has a full recovery and this is simply a coincidence.

Top Bottom