NCAA pres Mark Emmert comments on PSU situation...

dinkything

Reaction score
Briefly saw a TV interview this morning on CNBC...related to the 'business of sports' in America

While I couldn't devote my undivided attention to the interview, I came away with the impression that PSU should anticipate hearing from the NCAA once the legal dust begins to settle (whenever that might be).

IMHO, NCAA prez Emmert indicated the way the NCAA rules are currently written allows for plenty of latitude with which to hammer PSU over the Sandusky child rape allegations and the decades-long effort to provide a massive, institution-wide PSU cover-up, if even a small fraction of it proves to be true:cry:.

Looks like there might be a more in-depth interview with Emmert tonight (Fri., 11/18/11) on Versus TV , a sister station to CNBC. http://affiliate.zap2it.com/tv/cnbc-sports-biz-game-on/EP01471633

The question I would have is if PSU ('win with honor'?) would be willing to look the other way on this horrifically tragic situation since 2002? 1998? 1994? earlier?????....then would they also have been willing to look the other way on a booster's hundred dollar handshake involving a destitute student-athlete from the projects of Philadelphia, or from the rural South?

You must have heard wrong. dpodoll68 has told us over and over that this is not an NCAA issue and that PSU won't hear a single word from the NCAA. And of course he's never wrong.

Good old "Lack of institutional control"

Gets 'em every time.

Emmert is wrong. dpodoll68 said this

>>Here's an elementary point you don't seem to understand: no NCAA rules were broken, nor even mildly approached being broken.<<

>>I hate to sound like a broken record, but once again, this has nothing to do with football. Punish everyone involved to the fullest extent allowed by criminal and civil courts. However, the football program will not, and should not, receive any sanctions whatsoever.<<

>>It tells me that the NCAA is neither a legal nor governmental entity. This is a horrible and reprehensible series of incidents, but it is entirely within the legal realm and has absolutely nothing to do with football specifically or sports in general. The fact that the offender was a football coach doesn't make it a football issue. The NCAA has zero to do with any of this, and will not, and should not, punish the University in any way. It has no authority whatsoever in this issue.<<

You must have heard wrong. dpodoll68 has told us over and over that this is not an NCAA issue and that PSU won't hear a single word from the NCAA. And of course he's never wrong.

First of all, feel free to eat my ass with a spoon.

Secondly, I readily admit whenever I am wrong. It's just so infrequent that you may not remember reading those posts.

Thirdly, let's see how this settles out before you jump down my throat. Care to make a signature bet on whether or not Penn St. sees any NCAA sanctions?

First of all, feel free to eat my ass with a spoon.

Secondly, I readily admit whenever I am wrong. It's just so infrequent that you may not remember reading those posts.

Thirdly, let's see how this settles out before you jump down my throat. Care to make a signature bet on whether or not Penn St. sees any NCAA sanctions?

Yes let's bet a donation to GH. That way we are both held accountable by the same outlet and GH benefits. I've already donated to Nadine this year (have you?) but will ask GH to verify that I make an additional donation should I lose this bet. What is the time frame that we are using? It takes a long time for the NCAA to rule on this stuff usually.

As despicable as the actions were at Penn State, the NCAA is wading into some very controversial waters here. As Ski U Mah points out, "Ye olde Lack of Institutional Control" can be a catch-all for a lot of infractions, some of which may fall out of the purview of being purely related to an athletic program, but if the NCAA does implement a penalty it will set a bar for future action and what type of action will warrant corrective action (and what level of action) in the future?

Yes let's bet a donation to GH. That way we are both held accountable by the same outlet and GH benefits. I've already donated to Nadine this year (have you?) but will ask GH to verify that I make an additional donation should I lose this bet. What is the time frame that we are using? It takes a long time for the NCAA to rule on this stuff usually.

As long as it takes. $50.

...let's see how this settles out before you jump down my throat. Care to make a signature bet on whether or not Penn St. sees any NCAA sanctions?

Sounds like the NCAA just took Step #1, by publicly announcing an investigation of PSU...

As despicable as the actions were at Penn State, the NCAA is wading into some very controversial waters here. As Ski U Mah points out, "Ye olde Lack of Institutional Control" can be a catch-all for a lot of infractions, some of which may fall out of the purview of being purely related to an athletic program, but if the NCAA does implement a penalty it will set a bar for future action and what type of action will warrant corrective action (and what level of action) in the future?

I agree with you that the NCAA is overreaching, but in the CNBC interview Emmert sounds like they will try to use LOIC to get Penn St. I do not think that is right.

Let the courts punish Penn St. It aldready sounds like Allred & Anderson are getting involved. If they treat PSU like the Catholic Church, PSU is in trouble.

dpo, you just stated you readily admit when you are wrong. I believe you to be an honest guy, so I would encourage you to admit you are wrong here. dpo, you clearly said in the 1st quote that Stan provided at 1:40PM above that no NCAA rules were "even mildly approached being broken."

This is obviously false - clicking on the link that Nate provided shows the NCAA is starting its own investigation - why don't you just admit it?

Ultimately the NCAA may not punish Penn State at all, so I think it's a fair bet you made with Stan that either could win. But I do agree you with that they very likely won't punish Penn State very severely, certainly not to the extent that they deserve.

Finally, kudos to both of you for making the bet - GopherHole is the winner either way. Though I suspect it'll be 2-4 years before a payout is made.

Give me a break. When did I ever say the NCAA wouldn't investigate? "Opening an investigation" means nothing. Get back to me when there is some sort of sanction imposed.

This is obviously false - clicking on the link that Nate provided shows the NCAA is starting its own investigation...

From the link provided:
"As we know it to be right now, Penn State hasn’t violated any bylaws in the traditional sense because the NCAA rule book isn’t designed to handle a case like this"

I would not call that "obviously false".

The NCAA is going to do what it always does. After everyone who was actually involved (and I am not defending them, they are monsters) has resigned or is fired, they will come in and impose sanctions which will punish students and players who never did anything wrong.

The NCAA is going to do what it always does. After everyone who was actually involved (and I am not defending them, they are monsters) has resigned or is fired, they will come in and impose sanctions which will punish students and players who never did anything wrong.

IF that were to happen, it would be the perfect time to dissolve the ncaa.

I agree with you that the NCAA is overreaching, but in the CNBC interview Emmert sounds like they will try to use LOIC to get Penn St. I do not think that is right.

Let the courts punish Penn St. It aldready sounds like Allred & Anderson are getting involved. If they treat PSU like the Catholic Church, PSU is in trouble.

I don't know if the NCAA is overreaching. I think the problem is more in that if they do dole out punishment, a precedent will have been set and that future cases will key off of that precedent.

The sexual abuse of children is low-hanging fruit in terms of determining the "kind" of case that deserves a penalty, but what "level" of penalty. Once the NCAA wades in, public pressure may build for penalties in less serious instances and how does on determine what to do and does that then appear to be arbitrary?

Interesting stuff.

Give me a break. When did I ever say the NCAA wouldn't investigate? "Opening an investigation" means nothing. Get back to me when there is some sort of sanction imposed.

I never said that you said the NCAA wouldn't investigate. As I quoted, you said that no NCAA rules were "even mildly approached being broken." If this was truly the case, the NCAA would not even open an investigation. Their President would say this isn't a NCAA violation and they have no intention of opening an investigation. You are obviously wrong here, and you said you admit it when you're wrong. I am giving you the opportunity to prove the truth of that here.

I never said that you said the NCAA wouldn't investigate. As I quoted, you said that no NCAA rules were "even mildly approached being broken." If this was truly the case, the NCAA would not even open an investigation. Their President would say this isn't a NCAA violation and they have no intention of opening an investigation. You are obviously wrong here, and you said you admit it when you're wrong. I am giving you the opportunity to prove the truth of that here.

I don't know which of you is right or wrong, but in dpo's defense, the pressure on the NCAA to do something, anything whether or not it truly falls under their auspices is immense.

Emmert can say whatever he wants.

"As we know it to be right now, Penn State hasn’t violated any bylaws in the traditional sense because the NCAA rule book isn’t designed to handle a case like this"

I rest my case.

I will forever maintain that Penn St. did not break, nor even approach breaking, a single NCAA rule.* Period. That, however, does not mean that the NCAA can't get stupid and invent something to try to make an example out of them.

*EDIT: I should clarify that statement with "based on what we know now". If something comes out that shows that they actually did break an NCAA rule, then that changes everything.

Emmert can say whatever he wants.

I rest my case.

I will forever maintain that Penn St. did not break, nor even approach breaking, a single NCAA rule.* Period. That, however, does not mean that the NCAA can't get stupid and invent something to try to make an example out of them.

*EDIT: I should clarify that statement with "based on what we know now". If something comes out that shows that they actually did break an NCAA rule, then that changes everything.

OK, very well dpo. I didn't realize that you were only arguing about what your opinion of the NCAA rules are. I thought we were actually arguing about what the NCAA rules actually are. Well then yes, you have your own standards about what NCAA rules are, and you would certainly be the expert on them.

But in that case, I think you should retract your statement that you will admit when you are wrong. Because you could never be wrong about what your own opinion is, or your opinion of what your opinion is and/or was, then by definition you could never be wrong. So you will never need to admit you are wrong. Have a good evening, sir.

Be Carefull, The NCAA has never to my knowledge investigated gambling on their actions or inanctions. I would hope the Gopherhole has retained counsel, and is offering to cooperate fully. I would expect an announcement shortly by the staff to say they neither participated, nor facilatated the bet. It was reported as soon as it was discovered.

Top Bottom