Mike Pomerantz of KARE 11's response to a complaint on his story regarding the Gopher

Reaction score
My email to Pomerantz is below his response. Guess he can't take criticism very well, but he was certainly capable of being critical of the Gopher football program! Remember that the promo headlines were "Why The U Can't Win" and on their website, the replay is labeled, "Go'pher Broke". That was my issue with the story. Here's his response.

Sent: Wednesday, November 16, 2011 10:56 PM
Subject: RE: Terrible reporting on the U football program

Interesting note. Sorry you feel this way. I took all of the best information available to present and show fans what the true challenges are. I never said the U would never win. I said it will take time.
For the record, part of the reason I host the Gopher Football show is because I care greatly. I did this story because I thought fans were unfairly criticizing the program without knowing all the elements involved. As you know, reporters are not supposed to “take sides.” I am confident if you review the story you’ll see the facts are laid out in an unbiased manner.

-Best,

Mike Pomeranz

KARE 11 News/KARE11.com
8811 Olson Memorial Highway
Minneapolis, MN 55427
763-797-7336
On Twitter - @mikepomeranz
Like Mike on Facebook too!

Sent: Wednesday, November 16, 2011 10:45 PM
To: Pomeranz, Mike
Subject: Terrible reporting on the U football program

You were awful in your promotion and reporting on the U football program. Why did you promote it as though “the U will never win”? Part of the reason we have a lower revenue than Wisconsin is people like you in the media who cast such aspersions on this program. If your message was that Jerry Kill has a massive hole to dig out of, you did a lousy job of communicating it. You did a great job of convincing people not to buy tickets to the games. Congratulations for doing a lousy job. Let’s start calling your station “Don’t KARE”. I’m going back to ‘CCO – at least they have some sense of interest in the Gophers! When are you doing your expose on how the Vikings suck???? Horrible reporting – you had facts that you could have used to tell people how Jerry Kill is working so hard to rebuild the program instead of why hometown talent won’t stay in Minnesota. I am sick and tired of how the media in this town either ignores the Gophers or continuously puts them down. Knock it off!

With all due respect, when your first line to him is "you were awful," he's most likely going to take it with a grain of salt.

Along with that, I guess I failed to see at any point where it needs to be addressed regarding his ability to accept criticism. With the tone of your email, you should feel lucky that you got a response.

My email to Pomerantz is below his response. Guess he can't take criticism very well, but he was certainly capable of being critical of the Gopher football program! Remember that the promo headlines were "Why The U Can't Win" and on their website, the replay is labeled, "Go'pher Broke". That was my issue with the story. Here's his response.

Interesting note. Sorry you feel this way. I took all of the best information available to present and show fans what the true challenges are. I never said the U would never win. I said it will take time.
For the record, part of the reason I host the Gopher Football show is because I care greatly. I did this story because I thought fans were unfairly criticizing the program without knowing all the elements involved. As you know, reporters are not supposed to “take sides.” I am confident if you review the story you’ll see the facts are laid out in an unbiased manner.

-Best,

Mike Pomeranz

KARE 11 News/KARE11.com
Minneapolis, MN 55427
763-797-7336

You were awful in your promotion and reporting on the U football program. Why did you promote it as though “the U will never win”? Part of the reason we have a lower revenue than Wisconsin is people like you in the media who cast such aspersions on this program. If your message was that Jerry Kill has a massive hole to dig out of, you did a lousy job of communicating it. You did a great job of convincing people not to buy tickets to the games. Congratulations for doing a lousy job. Let’s start calling your station “Don’t KARE”. I’m going back to ‘CCO – at least they have some sense of interest in the Gophers! When are you doing your expose on how the Vikings suck???? Horrible reporting – you had facts that you could have used to tell people how Jerry Kill is working so hard to rebuild the program instead of why hometown talent won’t stay in Minnesota. I am sick and tired of how the media in this town either ignores the Gophers or continuously puts them down. Knock it off!

wow you are a loser......pathetic email.

I am shocked you got a response. Credit to Pomeranz. I agree with FireDaveLee and raragophers, terrible email. I am glad Pomeranz did the story because it educated the casual fan as to why it is different rebuilding a program now than it was when Alverez did it. The story shows Coach Kill in a favorable light and might actually allow the casual fan to show patience and support Coach Kill and the Gophers.

Screaming at them isn't going to get a good response. Focus on errors they made, and try to keep the anger out of it if you want a better response.

With all due respect, when your first line to him is "you were awful," he's most likely going to take it with a grain of salt.

Along with that, I guess I failed to see at any point where it needs to be addressed regarding his ability to accept criticism. With the tone of your email, you should feel lucky that you got a response.

Agreed. I didn't see anything wrong with the response. The email to him however was garbage.

Honestly, that email was not good at all, and does not represent Gopher fans well at all. His response was about as good as one could hope, looks like he handled that "criticism" quite well to me.

Like RR said, focus on informing, rather than just angry, troll-ish screaming, which is what that email portrayed.

I am surprised Pomeranz actually gave you the time of day after that childish response. Pomeranz just earned my respect with his response back, classy.

I actually thought they laid out some interesting information in the piece. They really seemed to direct it more towards casual fans who may not know as many details as we do about the program. I think the problem lies with how they advertised the piece, as "Will the U ever win?". I think that could be redone. But overall, I did not find the piece to anger myself at all and I consider myself to be a pretty die hard fan. It was not as bad as I thought it was going to be. With that said, not sure about the anger in your e-mail. I'm surprised you even got a response.

He actually responded to you with way too much respect. You straight up attacked him and he took the time to respond to you, and even in a respectful manner.

-Best,

Mike Pomeranz

KARE 11 News/KARE11.com
Minneapolis, MN 55427
763-797-7336

Are you 12 years old? What a childish email.

+infinity to all those who said PGH was a jerk. Seriously poor email. The response to your asinine tone was top notch professional in all respects. Given your number of total posts, I suspect you are trolling.

Having watched the piece, he pointed to three things. First if all the top recruits stayed at home, they would have 66 instate recuits, about half the roster. But he didn't point to how much better we could have been with Weber and Floyd. Or would the offensive line been more stable with Henderson? They had Mel Scanlon form Cretin on saying players like those two are making decisions based on what is the best route to playing on Sunday. And having made the point about landing the best talent in Minnesota there was no mention of Kill's success in landing Persig, Williams, Nelson, and Hayes.

Second he pointed to APR or whatever that penalizes a program if a student/athlete in good academic standing leaves or transfers they are docked. What he indicated that rule was not in effect when Barry took over at Wisconsin, so he could turn over his roster more quickly. The rule is faulty and should be attacked and changed.

He also pointed to coaching changes, duh? However, Coach Kill's staff stability is a plus.

What he failed to investigate was support for the team and program. How many corporations buy tickets, have boxes, etc. In the day it was an entertainment expense and every major corporation, most mid sized, and even a few small companies had season tickets. That base was never been developed to its full potential. The boosters, oh I know the Goal Line and Touchdown Clubs do what they do, but the big programs have BOOOSTERS, who will do whatever they can for the team. We are short in this area as well. Need a new Baseball stadium, done. New Basketball Practice facility, done.

Weight training and conditioning. I hate to bring this up, but we are not big enough, strong enough, quick enough to compete.

Seriously, people? Look at your posts about Wisconsin or Iowa or Bielema or Ferentz - you've got nothing on this in terms of intensity or anger. Wow.

Seriously, people? Look at your posts about Wisconsin or Iowa or Bielema or Ferentz - you've got nothing on this in terms of intensity or anger. Wow.

The story was fine. APR...discussed here. Budgets...discussed here. Recruits leaving the state....discussed here.

Did you happen to notice the head coach of the Golden Gophers IN THE INTERVIEW addressing their points?

Your email was an embarrassment. Pomeranz appears to be a good guy.

The moment Pomerentz mentioned that no big name coaches were interested in the job because of the difficulty to win here I changed the channel.

For a variety of reasons, Joel Maturi is the main reason no big name coaches were interested. To not mention that little tidbit is misleading the audience. That was an infomercial posing as a news piece.

FireDaveLee said:

I agree with this response. You made it rather personal with an insult. I found it interesting that they are charged with transfers. It was good info!

Your first mistake was sending the email. Your second mistake was grossly overestimating the amount of support you'd have here. What did you think was going to happen? Everyone was going to read what you wrote and Pomerantz's response and proclaim you some kind of hero for taking on the big, bad Twin Cities media? Pomerantz has a pretty good day job. I don't think he needs to do the FSN show with Kill to make ends meet. I think he would like it if the team was successful, both from a professional and personal standpoint. He's got little to gain if the program keeps trending downward.

This is the largest collection of pro media posts in the history of Gopher Hole.:D

Your choice of words in your response is the issue, not very professional at all.

Don't . . . . . hit . . . . . send . . . . . AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Top Bottom