Mason to New Mexico?

VIVA LOS LOBOS!!!

While I'm no Glen Mason fan, I wish him the best of luck. I am grateful to Mason for restoring us to respectability after a decade of shear futility. That's the one thing Glen does very well.

Wren, Barreiro will have an open slot for a football-related segment. Want to split time with me? LOL.

interesting fit... should have them in lower level bowls within a few years

Wow! Just looked at the University of New Mexico football site. Nowhere to go but up. They lost to New Mexico State worse than we did (also at home).

Good place for Mason to make his mark and given the conference, it's not like the hill is all that steep or littered with obstacles to excel. Albuquerque is a beautiful town to boot.

Good luck to Mase.

The scenery is okay, but overall ABQ is a dump. I haven't been impressed anytime I have been there.

The Lobos message board seems overwhelmingly against the hire. According to a poll in their page, it's close to 2:1 negative. I think there were a number of people who really wanted Leach, but I think they will warm up to the hire.

The Lobos message board seems overwhelmingly against the hire. According to a poll in their page, it's close to 2:1 negative. I think there were a number of people who really wanted Leach, but I think they will warm up to the hire.

LOL. Isn't that the case just about everywhere?

gophervet, was talking more about the scenery. New Mexico is picturesque.

Good hire for New Mexico, good fit for Mason. I wish him nothing but the best!

Wren, Barreiro will have an open slot for a football-related segment. Want to split time with me? LOL.

Thank God. Hopefully Mason will be gone from Twin Cities Radio and Big 10 TV for all time. I wonder how long it will take for New Mexico to find out they just hired a part-time coach who doesn't know sh*t about defense or coaching with a lead in the 2nd half. Good riddance to him (finally).

Question

Is it a package deal, i.e. will wren be going with him?

“Some people will be surprised.” is what it says. That doesn't say anything one way or another.

The Surprise Is......

“Some people will be surprised.” is what it says. That doesn't say anything one way or another.
.....that wren will be going with him. (I realize that for GopherHolers this will not be a surprise but I suspect it will be a big surprise when people in New Mexico see wren carrying Mason’s luggage everywhere.

Mason tweeted the he is honored to be mentioned, but not interested at this time. I wonder if he is getting his name out there with the hope of landing Penn State or tOSU. We can all dream can't we?

I think the door has closed for the Ohio State job. Mason would have made sense as a caretaker, as he would for the Penn State job. I just don't see a lot of guys in his age category being tapped as long-term solutions at big-time programs. I could be wrong.

Mason seems to be kinda comfortable with his life right now and at his age. If he did get into coaching again it would be in
Minnesota, but there doesn't seem to be any jobs that would fit him, like Herb did at St. Cloud to bring that program up.

I could see him taking the MSU or St. Cloud job if it were meant to move up to D-I and they needed somebody that could do it,
but other than that, I think he's staying where he is. Just my guess....

I think the door has closed for the Ohio State job. Mason would have made sense as a caretaker, as he would for the Penn State job. I just don't see a lot of guys in his age category being tapped as long-term solutions at big-time programs. I could be wrong.

Glen would crawl across broken glass to take the job at PSU, even if it was only for a year (in fact, that might even make it more attractive to him). Remember how Glen would always wear a tie & jacket when playing Penn St. He claimed it was paying respect to JoePa, but it seemed more like an audition. Almost like the scene in Caddyshack where Danny dresses up in a blazer and white hat for the christening of Judge Smails' yacht. A tad over the top

Good for Mason if he goes, but I'm not surprised that the rumor appears un-true. He could have had a job at this level 5 years ago if he wanted one.

Good for Mason if he goes, but I'm not surprised that the rumor appears un-true. He could have had a job at this level 5 years ago if he wanted one.

That's what I thought was funny, if he was willing to take a job at the non-BCS level, he could have been coaching a long time ago, and still had time to work his way back into the BCS job. If he interviewed, he must have been interested, did the itch to coach come back to him, or has be been quietly interviewing all this time? If he is really interested in coaching again, we may hear his name mentioned at the end of the season when coaching jobs open up.

That's what I thought was funny, if he was willing to take a job at the non-BCS level, he could have been coaching a long time ago, and still had time to work his way back into the BCS job. If he interviewed, he must have been interested, did the itch to coach come back to him, or has be been quietly interviewing all this time? If he is really interested in coaching again, we may hear his name mentioned at the end of the season when coaching jobs open up.

I doubt he's been interviewing all along. I suppose he could suddenly have gotten the itch again, but even then, I wouldn't jump on New Mexico first thing. It's one of worst I-A jobs out there.

Is it a contract year for Mase at BTN...? Is he trying to drive up his value ? Anybody know?

coach Mason was on with Barrerio not long ago

Said he does not know how this whole rumor thing got started but that he is not interested in the head coaching position at New Mexico. He even indicated that he texted the New Mexico AD a message that he appreciated the interest but was not interested in this head coaching position. Said it is hard getting a job "1 year" removed or after being fired as a head coach, even harder after being 5 years since getting fired. Sounds like he would coach again if there was mutual interest and the position interested him. He said he was on his way over to Gophers football practice this afternoon for his broadcast gig with the Big10 network. Also that he would be flying to Chicago in the morning for meetings about Saturdays broadcast of the Gophers/ Northwestern game this Saturday. Said his time away from coaching has given him a different perspective on how other coaches do things "Standing away from the forrest and being able to see some outside things better". Sounded like things he might do differently was a good observation he has gotten since he has been away from coaching, or he has gotten to see a lot of things on how other coaches are doing things these days. He does sound genuine when he say's he has an interest in coaching football again if it were the right situation I would not be surprised if he returns to coaching.
Don't think coach Mason will be the next New Mexico head coach.

So New Mexico is interested in Mase? I guess they would like to have a HC who would be satisfied to take them to the heights of mediocrity and never a chance for higher.

What are you trying to insinuate?

That Glen Mason is too good for New Mexico?

That New Mexico is beneath the stature of such a coaching legend?

Give me a break.

Glen mason has a sweet deal now and may expand his horizons with ABC/ESPN. Yes he might want to coach again but its not killing him to get back out there.

Glen would crawl across broken glass to take the job at PSU, even if it was only for a year (in fact, that might even make it more attractive to him). Remember how Glen would always wear a tie & jacket when playing Penn St. He claimed it was paying respect to JoePa, but it seemed more like an audition. Almost like the scene in Caddyshack where Danny dresses up in a blazer and white hat for the christening of Judge Smails' yacht. A tad over the top

But would be loofa JoePa's back?

Top Bottom