Mason to New Mexico?

Reaction score
I just got home and caught the last few seconds of sports and they said there is a chance Glen could be returning to the sidelines at New Mexico. Definitely a step down but it would look great for him if he could turn them around.

I just got home and caught the last few seconds of sports and they said there is a chance Glen could be returning to the sidelines at New Mexico. Definitely a step down but it would look great for him if he could turn them around.

That could be a great fit.

If he took the job, do you think he would sit by the phone waiting for it to ring?

Look forward to seeing Mase back out there

If he took the job, do you think he would sit by the phone waiting for it to ring?

Oh, how I remember that quote. Probably one he wishes he had back.

Anyway, who is the coach at New Mexico?

Good luck to him if he heads down there.

New Mexico fired their coach a few weeks ago, Mike Locksley, after 3+ seasons maybe. Mostly remembered for punched one of his assistants his first year and either getting suspended or fined by the school.

Honestly, I believe that it would be a good hire for New Mexico. They had issues with Locksley and the program has hit a low point during the last couple of years. Mason has had success in rebuilding projects in Kent State, Kansas and here. It would be a good job for him and with the number of jobs that are going to be open this year, I think it is really smart to hire someone quick and allow them to get their staff quickly because it is going to be crazy here soon.

Not a chance in hell. Give the guy some credit.

BTN contract?

Much of this depends on his contract with Big Ten Network. Seems to me that he likes the cush job of being on TV so who knows... Maybe BTN isn't interested in having him around anymore?

Great fit. Lots of golf courses, and low expectations.

He could get them to 6 wins/year, start coasting and be thought of as a hero.

You know: there is NO guarantee that Coach Kill is going to be able to bring this program back to the level of competetivness that it was at with Mason at the helm. I sure as hell hope he can, but there is NO guarantee. Some of the more smug little dudes and dudettes among us just may NOT see wins over some of our Big Ten foes again any time in the near future. Just when will we see wins over wisky, Nebraska, Michgian, MSU, OSU,

You just really do NOT realize just how hard it is going to be to bring this program out of the crapper that badger (stinking) joel macturi put this program in with his brewster hire.

So some of you go ahead and keep laughing about Mason. I don't have a clue if he is interested in this New Mexico job. The U of M is still probably making some of those payments to him. Personally, I sure as hell liked watching Mason ball a hell of a lot more than anything I have seen since then. I hope Coach Kill can start getting some Big Ten wins here. That brewster clown never had a chance of succeeding. But, I blame prexy b and b(s)jm for that brewster mess.

So, don't be too nasty.These one, two and three win seasons are getting pretty damn old. And you people do NOT have a clue about how difficult this job now is. Nebraska won't go away now and we will have wisky, iowa, Michigan and MSU every year in addition to a couple more Big Ten games.

Do we get a win in Evanston this Saturday? I sure hope so. I like to win some Big Ten Games, once in a while, at least.

The attendance for the 2012 season could be a MAJOR concern...IF we don't get any more Big Ten wins in 2011, the grand total of Big Ten wins for the most recent FIVE seasons would total NINE...that is NOT enough...

; 0 (

Much of this depends on his contract with Big Ten Network. Seems to me that he likes the cush job of being on TV so who knows... Maybe BTN isn't interested in having him around anymore?

The New Mexico job paid Locksley $750,000 per season. They might give Mason $1 million per. That would trump by a pretty good bit whatever he was making as a free lance talent at the BTN, I would think.

I think it would be a good hire. Depends on whether or not he has the itch to coach again. But he could have gotten a coaching job at a non-BCS school pretty much right away if he had wanted it. That BTN job is pretty cushy.

The New Mexico job paid Locksley $750,000 per season. They might give Mason $1 million per. That would trump by a pretty good bit whatever he was making as a free lance talent at the BTN, I would think.

He's also a Senior Vice President at Marquette Asset Management which I assume doesn't pay too poorly.

They could hire Tim Brewster. Perhaps he had gotten all the mistakes out of his system.

For the sake of New Mexico and its fans, I hope that big teeth Mason sticks to what he's doing now. Otherwise, it's time for New Mexico to prepare for some of the biggest in-game disappointments in the history of their program.

What are you trying to insinuate?

That Glen Mason is too good for New Mexico?

That New Mexico is beneath the stature of such a coaching legend?

Give me a break.

IF Mason wants to coach again, he'd likely be coaching. Like him or not, when he was here and at Kansas (and, for the record, I wore out on the guy after the contract squabble but was supportive of him up to that point), he showed that he knew what he was doing.

I imagine the Marquette gig is fairly lucrative, so it would have to be a good deal for him to leave it. At the same time, some guys have that coaching bug.

IF Mason wants to coach again, he'd likely be coaching. Like him or not, when he was here and at Kansas (and, for the record, I wore out on the guy after the contract squabble but was supportive of him up to that point), he showed that he knew what he was doing.

I imagine the Marquette gig is fairly lucrative, so it would have to be a good deal for him to leave it. At the same time, some guys have that coaching bug.

But, some guys like to coach and not have W's & L's attached to them.

There has never been a game lost in the announcing booth.

I think it would be a good hire. Depends on whether or not he has the itch to coach again. But he could have gotten a coaching job at a non-BCS school pretty much right away if he had wanted it. That BTN job is pretty cushy.

Banks and financial institutions ar the worst when it comes to "title inflation". Basically, anyone who isn't a teller or pushing a mop is a VP. Not that they pay peanuts, but I would guess Mason is there part time, and he's mostly doing PR work. I wouldn't want Glen managing my stock portfolio. It would probably grow in value for a couple of years, and then plateau.

I thought I read an article last summer saying he stepped down/retired from Marquette so he could concentrate more on the BTN gig.

Not sure if he's still playing it close to the vest...

BTNGlenMason Glen Mason
I will aee you in Evanston RT @agseeley: @BTNGlenMason Will we still see you in Evanston Saturday?

He's also a Senior Vice President at Marquette Asset Management which I assume doesn't pay too poorly.

True, but if he can get $1 million out of New Mexico, I would guess that would at least triple what he's making through BTN/Marquette, probably more. Tough to turn that kind of money down, especially if you enjoy coaching. Low pressure situation at New Mexico, too, no where to go but up.

He and Steve Alford should get along great down there. No egos involved with those two :)

If it is true, I wish Mason good luck. It will be interesting to see if he can turn it around there.

What was that you were saying, again?

The more I think about it, this is absolutely perfect for Mason. Instead of recruiting Ohio St. and Penn St.'s leftovers, he can recruit Texas and USC's leftovers. He can schedule 5 Little Sisters of the Poor schools instead of just 4 like he could here, and instead of playing Ohio St., Michigan, Nebraska, and Penn St. in-conference, he gets to play Colorado St., Wyoming, UNLV, and San Diego St. every year. I foresee 8-9 wins/season guaranteed by 2014.

The best part of this is that hopefully Wren, Oak St., and their cadre will troll the New Mexico boards in perpetuity and leave the rest of us here in peace.

Wow! Just looked at the University of New Mexico football site. Nowhere to go but up. They lost to New Mexico State worse than we did (also at home).

Good place for Mason to make his mark and given the conference, it's not like the hill is all that steep or littered with obstacles to excel. Albuquerque is a beautiful town to boot.

Good luck to Mase.

Just think how much Lobo gear is going to be sold here in Minnesota.

Top Bottom