Penn State news conference in minutes; JoePa reportedly out, riot police at his house

Mobs are easy, folks, and that's what's going on here. Most of the kids there are there just to see what the hell is going on; witness it; tell others about it; have a story to tell their friends "I was there!". It's like every doorknob who ever went crazy in front of a media camera for no reason than to say "hey look at me!"

I eyewitnessed the first Penn State "riot" back in the summer of 1998. After fun night of partying on the biggest party weekend of the summer, I was there on the street watching in bewilderment as a mob erupted in a "riot", blocking all of the street, tearing down lightpoles on Beaver Avenue (33 in total!), burning garbage in the street, doing some damage to store fronts and such. It wasn't an angry mob; it was just a mob, doing what drunken mobs do - stupid things. Like most of those couple thousand on the street I did not personally participate in any of the stupid things going on, just watched in bewilderment/amazement, just like most of those that are there tonight. Actually did some civic duty, myself, in physically preventing some stupid kids from kicking in some store windows.

On to tonight:
The truth of the matter is this. Joe Paterno is an icon. You don't understand what this man meant/means to Penn State unless you've lived there. He IS/was Penn State. People's whole lives, they put this man on a pedestal, rightly or wrongly. Suddenly, he is accused of immoral actions (gross negligence or total cover-up of a heinous crime, to be exact), and those who idolized him, put him as the face of the entire university, are simply not ready within 3 days time of accepting this. You're witnessing first-hand the "denial" and "anger" stages of grief, folks.

You can blame the students all you want. I've seen some of the interviews, heard the reports of (relatively minor) violence and property damage, seen the images of the crowds (most of whom are simply witnesses, no more), seen interviewees saying what sound to me like stupid things; and others making intelligent interviews. You can criticize the kids all you want for the mob mentality, but to call them brainwashed is idiodical (I'm going to guess that many of those using the "brainwashed" adjective to describe these kids are loyal subjects to the massive Talk Radio complex, for example). The truth of the matter is simple - a big part of the world of most of the kids at Penn State, and of we alumni, came crashing down horrifically within a few days time. They're running through a bunch of emotions related to the crimes committed, their fallen icons, their university, their home. This type of reaction should not be unexpected, and is simply not that excessive considering the huge changes going on right now in young adult lives.

If nothing more happens tonight and in the coming days than some property damage and minor injuries, then I think the unbelievable transitions occurring right now at Penn State have gone over amazingly well. There are plenty of other places in the world, even in this nation, that would behave much, much worse under these kinds of circumstances.

Where Syria where the protesters get shot? Egypt rioted over getting rid of a dictator these self entitled white kids are rioting over a child molester protector getting fired. I didn't think it was possible but I now will probably for ever hate a big ten team more then Bucky.

Sorry, cncmin--there is no excuse for destructive public behavior. Ever. More enabling?

This is college football as a religion with Paterno as God. It's a sad statement about the effects of misplaced priorities and cultural decline.

I agree about misplaced priorities, but I can't agree about cultural decline. We are only hearing about things like this because people are willing to talk about it. Sweeping things under the rug used to be the norm.

Hmmm, I'm not in this girls or families shoes, but if my brother was raped in the showers at this University by a man revered at this University I wouldn't attend the school, weird for sure.

She might not have known until just recently. Victims of this kind of abuse don't just blab about it, not even to family members. She might not have learned until the victim found the strength to go to the police.

1. McQuerry should not be on the sideline this Saturday neither.

2. These people are obviously not truly thinking this through. The man was told of the rape, then told his superior. That was it. Nothing else happened. Then he allowed this same person who he was told raped a child to be around the program. Furthermore, players were encouraged to do community service through Sandusky's charity. Joe Paterno was not the water boy who no one would listen to. If he felt this needed to be looked into further, it would have been done. He stressed being moral and doing the right thing. He, along with so many others in that department messed up big time
3. Should Paterno not have been fired by phone? Probably, but honestly does it really matter? People that are making a big deal about this are trying to deflect the outrage. They should be outraged by the fact that potentially dozens of kids were raped and many people at their school, including Paterno, could have stopped it. Instead, some are pissed off because Paterno was fired by phone.

4. Paterno still doesn't get the severity of it. Last night when he talked outside of his house it was "me, me, me, me, me, me, me........oh, and pray a little bit for the victims." What a dirtbag.

5. They should listen to their student body president who was on CNN this morning. He gets it. This isn't about the football program and it's coach.

I can't really complain about JoePa being fired, but I do feel bad. It has been said that Paterno told the AD as soon as he was told about it and the AD didn't do anything. Obviously he should have done more tho.

What i'm really wondering is what the football game is going to be like there this saturday.

Actually he waited a full day before contacting the AD.

"Hey coach, I saw Sandusky raping a kid in the shower at campus yesterday."

"Oh, okay, I'm busy putting this puzzle together today so I'll have to contact my supervisor tomorrow. Thanks for stopping by."

Hmmm, I'm not in this girls or families shoes, but if my brother was raped in the showers at this University by a man revered at this University I wouldn't attend the school, weird for sure.

This is a college town and most of the victims and their families are likely from the area.

Top Bottom