Ameila Rayno blog: Tubby Smith still looking for that ideal second-unit combo

If we want to be a legit top 25 program and a true contender in the conference, we need 2 guards who can contribute both defensively and offensively. Sure, we need a shooter, a scorer, an instant offense, a defensive stopper, etc. However, competent well rounded guards should be our priority, and we seem to have a few candidates in Austin, Andre, Julian and possibly Joe. I think Tubby’s focus in the non-conference games will be on the three (or the four if Joe shows good perimeter shooting consistently in practice) hoping that they will develop enough to be ready for the conference season.

If he wants more minutes, Chip must demonstrate 1) scoring “with consistency in practice” and/or 2) defensive prowess or at least potential of it. If he cannot do either, a few offensive spurts in games may not do it for him because we should not systematically rely on an inconsistent scorer unless things get desperate. And, we are not that desperate yet.

Chip is in a weird position right now, I think. He may never be part of the core group (warranting more minutes) unless he does either of the two things I mentioned. If the mass subbing continues, the second unit would be more about defense and shot selection quite possibly in a slower tempo to buy time for the core players. Chip doesn’t seem to fit into that mold. And, man to man defense actually does not come quickly.

However, Chip can be an instant offense off the bench even without good solid defense if he can score with consistency (and prove it in practice). That could be his ticket to ride. He can become part of the core group that way.

Though Chip is not as good as Westy yet, if he can score with better consistency, I am sure Tubby will find a way to give him more minutes as he did with Westy -- Westy had been one of the leaders for playing time despite his matador D.

When players are asked to do certain things, the underlying premise is that if they do what they are asked to do well (good D, shot selection, etc.), they will get more minutes. Otherwise, why should anyone work their ass off on defense, shot selection, etc., instead of jacking it up in hopes of making a bunch albeit inconsistently?

In that sense, Westy was a sort of nightmare for Tubby or any coach.

Coach’s favorite players? The ones who win games for him. Tubby probably is no exception. Westy had the offensive juice and the mental toughness to take a shot in a critical moment. Tubby needed those qualities to win. However, I suspect Westy’s offense was never so great as to be warranting unlimited minutes without risking losing the team for Tubby. We all know what they went through. In the end, Tubby found a way to give enough minutes to Westy without losing the team though the conflict between Al (and other teammates) and Westy had been brewing and eventually surfaced toward the end of Westy’s career at the U.

If Chip gets more minutes without establishing consistent scoring or good D in practice first, Tubby will have to risk a lot more for it.

Though Chip is not as good as Westy yet, if he can score with better consistency, I am sure Tubby will find a way to give him more minutes as he did with Westy -- Westy had been one of the leaders for playing time despite his matador D.

When players are asked to do certain things, the underlying premise is that if they do what they are asked to do well (good D, shot selection, etc.), they will get more minutes. Otherwise, why should anyone work their ass off on defense, shot selection, etc., instead of jacking it up in hopes of making a bunch albeit inconsistently?

In that sense, Westy was a sort of nightmare for Tubby or any coach.

Coach’s favorite players? The ones who win games for him. Tubby probably is no exception. Westy had the offensive juice and the mental toughness to take a shot in a critical moment. Tubby needed those qualities to win. However, I suspect Westy’s offense was never so great as to be warranting unlimited minutes without risking losing the team for Tubby. We all know what they went through. In the end, Tubby found a way to give enough minutes to Westy without losing the team though the conflict between Al (and other teammates) and Westy had been brewing and eventually surfaced toward the end of Westy’s career at the U.

If Chip gets more minutes without establishing consistent scoring or good D in practice first, Tubby will have to risk a lot more for it.

These are the best 2 posts that I have read about Chip's issue. Chip is a very confident player but one-dimentional like Westy as you said. He will be great coming of the bench and score a few quick points. The goal of these meaningless games is to find your core players. Like you said Chip will never be a core player until he stops his man. At least he is not going to cause any conflicts like Westy did, I hope.

Go Gophers

Chip is a very confident player but one-dimentional like Westy as you said.

Chip is no where close to Westrbook's skill set and I don't believe he ever will be. LW was a solid defender, could run the point, better shooter, passer, ball handler, could finish better, etc.

Chip is way behind Austin in the rotation, hell he's even behind freshman JC, as he should be.

If we want to be a legit top 25 program and a true contender in the conference, we need 2 guards who can contribute both defensively and offensively. Sure, we need a shooter, a scorer, an instant offense, a defensive stopper, etc. However, competent well rounded guards should be our priority, and we seem to have a few candidates in Austin, Andre, Julian and possibly Joe. I think Tubby’s focus in the non-conference games will be on the three (or the four if Joe shows good perimeter shooting consistently in practice) hoping that they will develop enough to be ready for the conference season.

If he wants more minutes, Chip must demonstrate 1) scoring “with consistency in practice” and/or 2) defensive prowess or at least potential of it. If he cannot do either, a few offensive spurts in games may not do it for him because we should not systematically rely on an inconsistent scorer unless things get desperate. And, we are not that desperate yet.

Chip is in a weird position right now, I think. He may never be part of the core group (warranting more minutes) unless he does either of the two things I mentioned. If the mass subbing continues, the second unit would be more about defense and shot selection quite possibly in a slower tempo to buy time for the core players. Chip doesn’t seem to fit into that mold. And, man to man defense actually does not come quickly.

However, Chip can be an instant offense off the bench even without good solid defense if he can score with consistency (and prove it in practice). That could be his ticket to ride. He can become part of the core group that way.

Herein lies the problem. Most high school stars some in with the ability to score points- or else they would not have been high school stars. In todays college game with players moving to the pros as fast as they can, you need help from younger players to have a good squad. I think it was well stated by a Tubby fan perhaps FOT or Real Truth that the Tubby defense takes a good long time to learn and in fact some of his best players have take a year or two to get accustomed to it.

If you are a frosh and on a short string defensively, then there's a good chance you won't be confident offensively either. I really don't think Chip is the only guy we have who struggles defensively, maybe he is the worst of them, I don't know. But I would think you would want to have a system that allows you to integrate in young offensive minded guys sooner and more effectively than what we have seen here.

Chip is no where close to Westrbook's skill set and I don't believe he ever will be. LW was a solid defender, could run the point, better shooter, passer, ball handler, could finish better, etc.

Chip is way behind Austin in the rotation, hell he's even behind freshman JC, as he should be.

You are misremembering Westbrook a little here. I don't think a lot of folks remember Westbrook as a good passer or defender or PG as a soph. Westbrook sometimes had trouble finishing (except on a fast break) because of his size.

Chip is way behind Austin on defense- not on offense, where he's actually better than Austin probably by a fair amount. Is he way behind Austin in Tubby's scheme? Yes.

I don't think a lot of folks remember Westbrook as a good passer or defenderWestbrook sometimes had trouble finishing (except on a fast break) because of his size.

Disagree. He was a very good defender early & regressed slightly. He was very good at finishing or drawing contact getting to the line. Chip avoids contact and does not shoot free throws well according to Tubby.

Chip is way behind Austin on defense- not on offense, where he's actually better than Austin probably by a fair amount.

Disagree. I take Austin on both sides of the ball over Chip.

Herein lies the problem. Most high school stars some in with the ability to score points- or else they would not have been high school stars. In todays college game with players moving to the pros as fast as they can, you need help from younger players to have a good squad. I think it was well stated by a Tubby fan perhaps FOT or Real Truth that the Tubby defense takes a good long time to learn and in fact some of his best players have take a year or two to get accustomed to it.

If you are a frosh and on a short string defensively, then there's a good chance you won't be confident offensively either. I really don't think Chip is the only guy we have who struggles defensively, maybe he is the worst of them, I don't know. But I would think you would want to have a system that allows you to integrate in young offensive minded guys sooner and more effectively than what we have seen here.

I actually don't know how far Chip has progressed defensively this year. But, there were many lapses of his in the last season that made me question his understanding of team defense and suspect his overall defense skills. It could be that he didn't get what Tubby wanted him to do. To me, though, the nature of his problems looked more fundamental.

I agree that Tubby needs to get young players more involved offensively. Nevertheless, I think the key word is consistency. If Chip does it consistently in practice, Tubby will find a way to use him or will give him the green light. That is how I see it.

A few more games will telegraph a better picture regarding Chip. I actually hope you are right that Chip is as good as you think he is. Then, we will gain a very important piece of puzzle this season.

Top Bottom