Shooter: Look for Kaler to decide Maturi's fate before Jan.

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shooter:

"Look for new University of Minnesota President Eric Kaler to decide on the future of athletics director Joel Maturi before January. Maturi, who turns 67 in February, has a contract that expires June 30."

http://www.twincities.com/twins/ci_19289460

Go Gophers!!

based upon what just went down at Penn State, Maturi now looks like the greatest AD ever. Then again he couldn't deal with a "power Coach" like Glen Mason, much less a 40 plus year powerhouse like Paterno who fended off a full press firing squad as recently as 2004.

Ditch macturi NOW! De-bus the old ad and bring in the NEW AD!

; 0 )

Calling Glen Mason a "power coach"? That's hilarious. Good one.

based upon what just went down at Penn State, Maturi now looks like the greatest AD ever. Then again he couldn't deal with a "power Coach" like Glen Mason, much less a 40 plus year powerhouse like Paterno who fended off a full press firing squad as recently as 2004.

I was talking with a U official (this is true) a few weeks back and we chatted a bit about Maturi. He's had some seamy issues (think golf) to deal with, but we've had nothing like the OSU crap and what's happening now at Penn State and a lot of that has to do with Maturi being somewhat of a Boy Scout.

And you're right, he and Mason appeared to be oil and water.

For good or ill, I think a mutually agreed upon parting of the ways is probably what is in the cards. In retrospect, Maturi was probably an interim AD in a sense who stayed on a year or two too long. You really can't have an interim AD after another interim AD (Moe). He's done a good job treading water, but you can't do that forever.

Maturi gave us the only athletics department with hockey in the Big 10 that stayed home come postseason in hockey, football, and basketball last year. That is a totally intolerable situation for us to be in, and I am appalled that he is still around.

While it's true that the PSU mess makes one realize it could indeed be worse, that doesn't elevate Joel to the level of someone who should keep their job. Mutual retirement is best for all involved.

Maturi gave us the only athletics department with hockey in the Big 10 that stayed home come postseason in hockey, football, and basketball last year. That is a totally intolerable situation for us to be in, and I am appalled that he is still around.

I saw Maturi take a sledgehammer to Al Nolen's leg when they were 16-4. Totally inexcusable.

I saw Maturi take a sledgehammer to Al Nolen's leg when they were 16-4. Totally inexcusable.

How many more games would the 09/10 team have won with Mbakwe and/or White? 4? 6?

I keep forgetting that we are the only school in the country that had injury problems last year. A program that can go from 16-4 to being barely able to find the court with one injury is a program that is in a bad place.

I keep forgetting that we are the only school in the country that had injury problems last year. A program that can go from 16-4 to being barely able to find the court with one injury is a program that is in a bad place.

One injury & one midseason transfer at the most important position on the floor.

If they had either Joseph or Nolen at the end of the season, the record would have been much better.

Maturi is like a slithering cat with nine lives, or would that be a snake.
Whatever, he should have been kicked off campus long ago.

Top Bottom