Jerry Kill and Bret Bielema on good terms, but ready for this rivalry game

I really wish that more coaches were fire and brimstone about rivalry games. I don't necessarily care for this cordiality between coaches, even though I understand that it's essentially a brotherhood and these guys do share information with each other, etc. For all his faults, I loved it when Brew got pissed and fired up about Bielema and the b.s. that he pulled. It made the rivalry more riveting to me because there was a visceral dislike/hate between the coaches, and they didn't hesitate to display it. I'm not saying that Kill is presenting it as just another game, but where's the hate??? Get your fan base fired up!!!

Remember when John Cheney threatened to kill John Calipari? Now that was a rivalry.

I really wish that more coaches were fire and brimstone about rivalry games. I don't necessarily care for this cordiality between coaches, even though I understand that it's essentially a brotherhood and these guys do share information with each other, etc. For all his faults, I loved it when Brew got pissed and fired up about Bielema and the b.s. that he pulled. It made the rivalry more riveting to me because there was a visceral dislike/hate between the coaches, and they didn't hesitate to display it. I'm not saying that Kill is presenting it as just another game, but where's the hate??? Get your fan base fired up!!!

Kill hasn't even coached in the game yet, give him a few years and I'm sure Bielema will piss him off too lol

Kill hasn't even coached in the game yet, give him a few years and I'm sure Bielema will piss him off too lol

KIll and BB have been friends for years. Beleive it or not, it happens.

Regarding fire and brimstone, that didn't work out too well for your last coach did it?

IF a coach is stupid enough to get pissed off by another team's coach, he has already lost the battle and will most likey lose the game for his team. You big-mouthes who talk about your hatred of this team or that team just don't really understand a rivalry game. The Big Ten Conference has some fantastic rivalry games and this conference would be NOTHING if it didn't have great rivalry games. There is no room for "hate." You just go out there and leave 110 % out there on the field, give it your best shot and may the better team win. Win or lose, next year is another year and there will be another game with that rival. And hopefully the players will leave it all out there on the field...win or lose again next season.

I've got to admit that I don't think you "tough talkers" even understand the meaning of a great rivalry game. You respect your rival. You put your heart and soul into trying to beat your rival...and sometimes you do beat your rival. And...sometimes you don't. But, no matter what, you KNOW that next year you will be out there pouring your heart and soul into trying to beat your rival because you respect that rivalry and you respect your rival...and your rival will respect you enough to do the same.

This "hate talk" about rivalry games is really pretty much the trash talk that has lowered the meaning of great rivalry games to the "newcomers" who are just seeing their first few rivalry games. IF they had seen a lot of the rivalry games, the word "hate" would not be used to describe anything about that rivalry game. Rivalry games are to be "loved...appreciated...anticipated..."

The rivalry game was there long before Coach bielema was at wisky and Coach Kill was at Minnesota. It is BIGGER than the coaches. It is BIGGER than this years players. It is BIGGER than the current fan base. It IS the history of the game...the cumulative players who have played in this game over the past hundred years or more. It is the cumulative fan bases who have honored this game as a rivalry game.

Grow up people. This border battle with the badgers is NOT about hating. It is about the fact that so MANY coaches, players and fans from both programs, through out the history of the rivalry have cared SO MUCH about this game.

The game on Saturday has NOTHING to do with "hate." It has everything to do with love, respect , passion and tradition and loyalty and history.

Remember that and represent the Minnesota side of the equation with honor and just be damn happy that we have such a GREAT rivalry game every year with the University of Wisconsin.

Win or lose...it will become part of the history of this event. Realize that you will be witnessing another chapter in this historic series. I think that both the badger fans and the Gopher fans need to realize just what a remarkable thing this historic rivalry game is.

And...it has NOTHING to do with hate...

; 0 )

IF a coach is stupid enough to get pissed off by another team's coacch, he has lost the battle. You big talkers about your hatred of this team or that team. The Big Ten Conference has some fantastic rivalry games and this conference would be NOTHING if it didn't have great rivalry games. There is no room for "hate." You just go out there and leave 110 % out there on the field, give it your best shot and may the better team win. Win or lose, next year is another year and there will be another game with that rival.

I've got to admit that I don't think you "tough talkers" even understand the meaning of a great rivalry. You respect your rival. You put your hear and soul into trying to beat your rival...and sometimes you do beat your rival. And...sometimes you don't. But, no matter what, you KNOW that next year you will be out there pouring your heart and soul into trying to beat your rival...and your rival will respect you enough to do the same.

This "hate talk" about rivalry games is really pretty much the trash talk that has lowered the meaning of great rivalry games.

The rivalry game was there long before Coach bielema was at wisky and Coach Kill was at Minnesota. It is BIGGER than the coaches. It is BIGGER than this years players. It is BIGGER than the current fan base. It IS the history of the game...the cumulative players who have played in this game over the past hundred years or more. It is the cumulative fan bases who have honored this game as a rivalry game.

Grow up people. This border battle with the badgers is NOT about hating. It is about the fact that so MANY coaches, players and fans from both programs, through out the history of the rivalry have cared SO MUCH about this game.

The game on Saturday has NOTHING to do with "hate." It has everything to do with love, respect , passion and tradition and loyalty and history.

Remember that and represent the Minnesota side of the equation with honor and just be damn happy that we have such a GREAT rivalry game every year with the University of Wisconsin.

Win or lose...it will become part of the history of this event. Realize that you will be witnessing another chapter in this historic series. I think that both the badger fans and the Gopher fans need to realize just what a remarkable thing this historic rivalry game is.

And...it has NOTHING to do with hate...

; 0 )

+1000 - Great post.

I'm getting in this habit of agreeing with Wren.

Rivalries can be very spirited and I can't think of any more spirited than when Schembechler was at Michigan and Hayes was at Ohio State. Those guys went at it tooth and nail (not only on the field, but also for recruits), but they seemed to have a great amount of respect for each other.

That's not to say that Bielema pushes the envelope more than a bit, but that might be a function more of how the game is played now as opposed to him as a person. Don't get me wrong. I think the guy's a goof.

Perhaps Schembechler and Hayes had one of the more complex relationships of any coaches in any great rivalry series. Coach Hayes was Bo's Coach at the University of Miami, OH. Schembechler also was an assistant coach for Coach Hayes in 1952 and once again from 1958 until 1962 at Ohio State. He became the Michigan coach in 1969...and the rivalry was revitalized to a height that is almost impossible to comprehend.

Talk about psychological profiling: Bo was woody's player...woody's assistant coach and finally the coach standing across the field for all those days in November when they played THE GAME...usually for the Big Ten Championship.

How many Saturdays did Bo Schembechler spend learning everything that Woody Hayes had to teach him. And, the two of them brought a football rivalry at two football schools to new heights as they coached against each other.

There really should have been a movie made about the relationship these two great football coaches had during their careers. They really both are legends. Woody managed some National Championships at OSU...Bo never had an NC at Michigan...but he was RIGHT THERE a bunch of times!

Woody must have been one hell of a coach and boss to have turned out a Bo Schembechler! And, Bo must have been one hell of a good quick study and he certainly was a "self-starter..."

; 0 )

I think that having a strong dislike and hate for another team/coach is ok. You can still respect the other side and still hate/dislike them in many ways. These programs and the history is always going to be bigger than the teams and coaches.

I think that when you have to programs who have been to war with eachother for over 100 years its ok if you dislike/hate that team, and you can still respect that team because of what the history has shown us.

I would actually like it if a coachcame out and said he dislikes Wisconsin, Michigan, or Iowa and wants to destroy them year in and year out. Show that passion, the fire, and rile up a fan base. I see nothing wrong with that when you talk like that.

It does get under my skin a little when coaches are like thats my buddy over there, i'm modeling after that program, other kind talk. This is a rivalry folks, talk about destroying them and if you want to be friends with the others coach it's ok, but when it comes to rivalry week, talk about wanting to win, destroy them, talk it up a little. After the game if you want to go back to being friends so be it.

JMO

I think that having a strong dislike and hate for another team/coach is ok. You can still respect the other side and still hate/dislike them in many ways. These programs and the history is always going to be bigger than the teams and coaches.

I think that when you have to programs who have been to war with eachother for over 100 years its ok if you dislike/hate that team, and you can still respect that team because of what the history has shown us.

I would actually like it if a coachcame out and said he dislikes Wisconsin, Michigan, or Iowa and wants to destroy them year in and year out. Show that passion, the fire, and rile up a fan base. I see nothing wrong with that when you talk like that.

It does get under my skin a little when coaches are like thats my buddy over there, i'm modeling after that program, other kind talk. This is a rivalry folks, talk about destroying them and if you want to be friends with the others coach it's ok, but when it comes to rivalry week, talk about wanting to win, destroy them, talk it up a little. After the game if you want to go back to being friends so be it.

JMO

Thank you. You analyzed my post succinctly.

WHO HATES IOWA??? Wren - "Not I! But I do respect them terribly. Also, this game is about respect, and if you hate the other team, you're belittling the game and you are useless as a fan, so don't go."

This isn't about coach-hate, or razzing other fans. This is about getting your fan base fired up. This is about getting your milquetoast fans out of their seats screaming at the top of their lungs on 1st through 4th downs.

If you do not have the hate as a fan, if you do not have a drive to cheer for your team just a little more in these games, well, you no longer have a rivalry. You have another game against another team. The rivalry is about a severe dislike of your rival, thus making it a rivalry!!! Throw history out the window! This is a border battle! This is the game that, if you win, makes you feel not so bad when you get cut off by a dumbass with WI plates on 694! THIS IS ALL ABOUT DISDAIN FOR EVERYTHING RED AND WHITE!!!

Embrace the hate and spread it, because not everyone has been a Gopher fan for 50 years. People need something to latch onto. When you have a history of failing, you need something more than "This rivalry dates back to blah blah blah you have to respect it." Young fans aren't going to respect it because there's been nothing to respect in recent history. You need to cater to a more visceral feeling that will bring the fans out and make this game mean more than just another game that used to mean something when it was consistently competitive 20 years ago.

Wren, give the younger fans a chance to grow to respect the rivalry, because few are going to embrace it the way you old bucks do until they're older men and women. The hate brings the passion, especially in the younger crowd. You don't have to like it, but respect it for what it can provide to the home team.

If you don't have passion for your own team, how does having blind, raging hatred for the other team help you? I think you have got it bass ackwards. You get into the games because you have a lot of passion for supporting your own team and want to see that team succeed. You always show up for games..ON TIME, because you WANT to be part of the home field advantage. You get there early...you cheer through out the entire game...you do it EVERY home game. Backing and supporting YOUR team is done just because it is YOUR team. It doesn't matter who your team is playing. BLIND LOYALTY is far superior to "blind hatred" of a couple of other teams.

Your damn "hatred" won't carry you very far.

Unfortunately, the younger Gopher Fans don't show up in big enough numbers to even display much of your bleeping "hate..." You could have had 10,000 "bleeping -haters..." for the iowa or wisky games this year...but how many student tckets were sold?????????????

Not very bleeping many were there? Your"hate" theme just is NOT getting it done frozengopher and gopherfanatic19. You won't be around at Gopher games 50 years from now. Hate will NOT keep love, loyalty, passion, stick-to-it-ivn-ness for a team alive. Hate won't keep you sitting in the student section when it's 33 degrees, windy, rainy and you are losing by 17 points early in the third quarter and the team is 1-5 in Big Ten play.

"...the hate..." didn't inspire very many student season ticket sales in 2011 did it? "Hate..." will NEVER keep "Love..." for our Golden Gopher Football Program alive during this massive building stage that Coach Kill and his staff have to complete in order to make the Gophers competetive in Big Ten Football again.

The students will NEVER "hate" their way to success...it just does NOT work that way in college football. You need to start figuring out what LOYALTY to your own team...your own school...your own program means, how to do it...AND...then just DO IT!

; 0 )

No need to ever read my little pet Wren again.

Wren's posts as a picture:

WrenInPictures.jpg

Yeah Gopher Lady: it's just SO damn cool to have a coach threatening murder...really classy...That's the spirit that should RULE college sports. Is that what you are saying? Let's go do a "drive-by..." for this rivalry game! That's the spirit!

That Chaney dude had such circles under his eyes...he looked kind of zombie-like...he could have had a cameo in NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD.

No wonder more students don't buy tickets...they just don't have the "killer" instincts and they just don't have the HATE thing going on enough.

Pretty sad, sick stuff..."shotgun" dick chaney..."wolfman" lon chaney..."Threatening to kill the other coach" coach chaney...I guess it runs in the family... The content of the bleeping language used by chaney as he goes off is just SO classy and "coach-like..." He has been captured in his finest moment. Why don't they make a video game of coach chaney killing other coaches...just blowing them away with guns, knives and his bare hands. What a guy! What a game. They could call it "...chaney blows 'em away on the road to the final four..." This clip partially defines all that is wrong with college sports.

; 0 )

I have mixed views on the Hate issue.

Some days I find it stupid.

Some days I find it juvenile

Woody Hayes was unashamed about his hate for Michigan. He refused to buy gas in the state if Michigan, he wouldn't refer to the school by name ("that school up north"), and he once went for a two-point conversion against them when he was already leading 48-14 (only because he couldn't go for three).

Woody Hayes was unashamed about his hate for Michigan. He refused to buy gas in the state if Michigan, he wouldn't refer to the school by name ("that school up north"), and he once went for a two-point conversion against them when he was already leading 48-14 (only because he couldn't go for three).

Exactly! What is wrong with Kill saying or doing this for Iowa, Michigan, Wisky. I would love if we had the type of rivalry we had like the soccer teams do over in Europe. You have that strong dislike/hate and the fierce battles on the field between players and coaches. You know the teams still respect one another and respect the history. There is nothing wrong with disliking/hating our Rivals. I know I do!! In the end I still love the history of our teams and rivals and the games we played against one another. Plus it gives us fans something to talk about and talk smack to one another.

Join the movement WREN

I'd love to throw Wren in the middle of a badger tailgate party about an hour before kickoff(aka 30 miller lites in for most wisky fans) and see him "respect" everyone.

This is a blood rivalry, Minnesota-Wisconsin, to the bitter end.
BB has pulled some crap on us, Brewster shot back, it's the way it should be.

Look at Dantonio and what he's done to Michigan, some would say he built MSU's success recently on Michigan's pain in state recruiting, rivalry games etc. That started by him racheting up the Michigan-MSU rivalry and beating Michigan even in mediocre years.

Why do you think Hoke started his tenure off taking shots at "Ohio University"
or why the SEC is so bloodthirsty? The coaches who are able to energize a fanbase by beating their fans' rival teams, even in thin years are able to succeed and thrive down the road with the recruiting and positive vibes they get from beating a hated neighbor.

Don't give me any crap about "well, we should respect them" or "hating them belittles the game" BS, it rachets it up and makes college football passionate.

We're not great right now, but anyone think those players aren't willing to break their arm to beat wisky? They very well may sell out their bodies on this game, bloody themselves and be worthless for the rest of the season, but IF they win, they are legends and this season is a success because we beat our blood rivals.

Ski-U-Mah

This "hate talk" about rivalry games is really pretty much the trash talk that has lowered the meaning of great rivalry games to the "newcomers" who are just seeing their first few rivalry games. IF they had seen a lot of the rivalry games, the word "hate" would not be used to describe anything about that rivalry game. Rivalry games are to be "loved...appreciated...anticipated..."

I dislike the Badgers and Hawkeyes. I absolutely HATE the Green Bay Packers.

I'd love to throw Wren in the middle of a badger tailgate party about an hour before kickoff(aka 30 miller lites in for most wisky fans) and see him "respect" everyone.

This is a blood rivalry, Minnesota-Wisconsin, to the bitter end.
BB has pulled some crap on us, Brewster shot back, it's the way it should be.

Look at Dantonio and what he's done to Michigan, some would say he built MSU's success recently on Michigan's pain in state recruiting, rivalry games etc. That started by him racheting up the Michigan-MSU rivalry and beating Michigan even in mediocre years.

Why do you think Hoke started his tenure off taking shots at "Ohio University"
or why the SEC is so bloodthirsty? The coaches who are able to energize a fanbase by beating their fans' rival teams, even in thin years are able to succeed and thrive down the road with the recruiting and positive vibes they get from beating a hated neighbor.

Don't give me any crap about "well, we should respect them" or "hating them belittles the game" BS, it rachets it up and makes college football passionate.

We're not great right now, but anyone think those players aren't willing to break their arm to beat wisky? They very well may sell out their bodies on this game, bloody themselves and be worthless for the rest of the season, but IF they win, they are legends and this season is a success because we beat our blood rivals.

Ski-U-Mah

This. It's Hatfields and Mccoys and there is no end.

I look at my high school career and I hated our rivals. I knew the team was good, greatly respected their coach (who was somewhat of a family friend) and their players, but absolutely hated them. I rooted against them in all sports, whomever they were playing. I followed their success/failure in the play-offs whether we were still playing or not.

I still root against them today – although I can’t say I really hate them anymore. But if I still lived in my home town, I probably would.

Winning those games were more important than any and I relish those victories with our sectional championships. I still recall a mistake I made in a loss at their place in basketball.

Hated them. No trash talk, nothing cheap – just hate.

Can’t say it really changed the way I played or approached the game, though. And I don’t know that my coach ever said anything to us that indicated his feelings aside from the fact that we were consistently the two best teams and you had to win at home to have a chance at winning our league.

Top Bottom