Penn State Said to Be Planning Paterno’s Exit Amid Scandal

I never thought I'd see the day (or rather, I thought it would be contemporaneous with his death). Now it looks like it's more likely to happen than not. Wow.

Paterno's son (Scott?) is saying that Paterno wants to keep coaching (says the NY Times report is false) and they are working on setting up an off campus press conference.

This can't end well.

Matt Millen almost broke down crying on air while talking on ESPN. Fondle State, I mean Penn State, could have some real rough years ahead.

I wonder what his legacy will ultimately be now. Wow. Two weeks ago if you said this would be how it ended for Joe Pa I'd tell you you were crazy.

Talk about a knee jerk reaction.

Wow if true.

Can't say I agree with it until i hear Paterno was involved in the cover up more than just reporting it to the AD and moving on from there. Must be some emails or witnesses with evidence Paterno willingly covered it up.
What a shame for college football if his run ends like this.

It's gone way beyond mattering if Paterno is directly culpable. The stink of this is so bad they are going to have to clean house. There are going to be many 'innocent' people that will end up losing there jobs due to association. In 3 years PSU will want no one around who was 'here back when...'

This book really exists. Wow.

6a00d8341c630a53ef015392df38c3970b-320wi

Sandusky wrote an autobiography titled "Touched: The Jerry Sandusky Story", which was published in 2001.

First Ohio State and now Penn State. Is Wisconsin the luckiest school on the planet? I don't think PSU recovers from this for at least 5-10 years. And not just football. I think all sports will be affected. What parents would let their kid attend school there after this dispicable cover up of boys being raped and molested?

And JoePa deserves no sympathy in this at all. His inaction (and others inaction) led to more young boys being abused. And he did it to save the school from a scandal and to save his friend. Pathetic on Paterno's part.

Talk about a knee jerk reaction.

Completely disagree.

1. They've been trying to find a way to have him step down for years that would allow him to leave with dignity. He was openly asked in 2004 to resign and he said no.
2. Paterno is a complete figurehead. The guy doesn't wear a headset during games and none of the coaches even talk to him during the game.
3. Now it turns out he had enough evidence to turn in to the AD that one of his assistants was fondling kids, but decided not turn the guy into the cops AND kept employing Sandusky afterwards.

There's no way he could retain his job after that.

Tragic End...Huge Stain

I really wish the young assistant had gone to police. Dads, how do we prepare our boys for something like this?

I really wish the young assistant had gone to police. Dads, how do we prepare our boys for something like this?

Sadly, the first thing the assistant did was went to his dad. After they discussed it, they thought the most prudent thing to do was to meet with, and inform, head coach Joe Paterno...

Paterno's son (Scott?) is saying that Paterno wants to keep coaching (says the NY Times report is false) and they are working on setting up an off campus press conference.

This can't end well.
If Joe does the off campus news conference,he may be gone sooner than later.

If Joe does the off campus news conference,he may be gone sooner than later.
I agree as it stands now the most likely interim coach would be Bradley but he's a Sandusky protoge. I think that PSU would prefer that Paterno annouce his retirement and find a successor that would come in with a new staff. At the very least I think he coaches this week because it's a home game. If Paterno has a press conference without gettin the Administration's approval his departure could be immediate.

No way JoePa is coaching on Saturday. The postgame presser would be a circus. I would bet PSU's general counsel has explained to the board of regents the downside of putting a (senile) 84 year old in front of a microphone and a bank of TV cameras. Especailly if Paterno is legally (or morally) guilty of something. The resulting youtube video would be the money shot in every civil trial that comes out of this gawdawful mess.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=dw-wetzel_parting_paterno_do_it_now110811

I agree with UMN99 that if Paterno & sons do an unsanctioned presser offsite things will get real ugly real fast.

J.Alba - I watched the Millen clip on ESPN. It looked like he sharted. Probably recalling a repressed memory of playing swords with uncle Jerry in the shower

This is so sad...but I don't see any way that Joe Pa isn't buried by this...the NY Times got it right...even if Joe Pa did what he was legally required to do...he failed to fulfill his moral obligation to children...how can you know about a person that is molesting children and not do EVERYTHING possible to keep it from happening again. How may children were damaged by the lack of action of these people...all for money and football...effing sick. If it were my kid that got molested after Joe Pa did nothing he'd be dead tomorrow...getting fired - Nope, getting shot, YEP!

Shut the whole thing down and start over. If anything ever deserved a death penalty, this does. This is lack of institutional control by the book. Time for the B1G to look for a 12th FB team.

J.Alba - I watched the Millen clip on ESPN. It looked like he sharted. Probably recalling a repressed memory of playing swords with uncle Jerry in the shower

And I thought Millen was choking up as he thought about those kids' lives being destroyed by a monster and about those that did nothing about it. Boy do I feel dumb.

Matt Millen almost broke down crying on air while talking on ESPN. Fondle State, I mean Penn State, could have some real rough years ahead.

i saw a Pitt guy refer to PSU on the penn state scout board as "Pedophile State University". rather harsh, but i guess it fits the abbreviation P.S.U.

just a sad situation all the way around. i find jerry sandusky to be sickening beyond belief. the guy is going to get some prison justice when they throw him behind bars. people in prison are obviously messed up in the first place, but if there is one thing they go after other guys for on the inside it is child molestation and rape.

Geez.

This is sick but you guys are nuts.

Paterno may have to go, but if he goes the Penn state will he able to hire a big time coach by January 1.
It is a top 15 job in the country because of what Joe PA did. Wealthy program in a talent rich state with a large fanbase.

Death penalty?!?!? Because a dude employed 10 years ago is a pedophile and a couple of guys knew and didn't report it? Especially if the guys who didn't report are gone.
They won't even get a slap on the wrist for this. Nor should they.

The NCAA does not equal the government. The two are not related. And before you point to Baylor those punishments were for improper benefits not the murder of the player.

Chances Sandusky was sexually molested himself?

I say high.

You do realize everyone all the way up to the univ president is going take the fall for this. This is way more serious than cheating or improper benefits. These are vulnerable little boys that were witnessed being raped by multiple individuals. Even the university president signed off on an order banning him from bringing kids on campus. Wouldn't you at least ask why someone would need to be banned especially if they ran some youth foundation?

I'm with those who say Paterno needs to be gone by Saturday. Can you imagine what a zoo that will be? How will fans react? What if Paterno, 84 years old, gets buttonholed by a reporter? He could say anything. The downside risk to Paterno coaching on Saturday WAY outweighs any upside (which is nothing other than 'letting him finish'). I gotta think this is the way Penn State officials will see it.

Chances Sandusky was sexually molested himself?

I say high.

Agreed, and want to point out that it doesn't make this ok (Which is what I think you also believe, just wanted to clear that up for the mouth breathers who may think otherwise).

Also, as to the death penalty, this has nothing to do with the football program as an entity. This has to do with multiple university employees, some of who just happened to be part of the football program, being involved in criminal sexual conduct and its coverup. The PSU football program will not receive any kind of sanctions, or should not, as this is a criminal offense covered under PA's legal code. No players were involved that we know of, either directly or indirectly, and the student athletes should not have to suffer for the crimes of one disgusting human being and others who would cover for him or look the other way. IF the NCAA were to become involved, they should make available some kind of counseling service to the players and inform them that they have the opportunity to transfer without penalty.

Apparently he's talking to the press right now... From the window of his house... This just keeps on getting weirder..

Bizarre and sad. Terrible for college football. I feel bad for the guy, but he has kids and I know what every guy with children would have done if they came across this. Loyalty only goes so far.

Apparently he's talking to the press right now... From the window of his house... This just keeps on getting weirder..

Amazing video on YouTube.

IN ORDER:

1) I'm proud of all you (students on his lawn)
2) Cheer us on against Nebraska (students erupt)

- closes window to hero's applause-

-opens window-

3) Pray for the victims.

PATHETIC

------------------------------------------
Gregg Doyel of CBS blogged from the scene:

STATE COLLEGE, Pa. -- More than 1,000 Penn State students gave Joe Paterno the hero treatment on Tuesday night, gathering outside his house to wave supportive signs and chant his name -- and roaring in glee when he stepped outside to thank them.

"You've been great, just great," Paterno said softly, comments that couldn't have been heard by more than 25 people.

Paterno said something else that surely wasn't heard by most of the crowd, which is a shame:

"The victims," Paterno said. "Say prayers for them."

That message didn't get to the outer edges, to people who weren't there to hear deep thoughts. They were there to touch or just glimpse the winningest coach in Division I history -- who is also one of the handful of Penn State officials who didn't call the police in 2002 after learning that an eyewitness on his coaching staff had accused former defensive coordinator Jerry Sandusky of sexually assaulting a young boy in a shower on campus.

One Penn State fan outside Paterno's house waved a sign that read, "Two of my favorite J's: Jesus and Joe Paterno."

This scandal has turned campus into Bizarro World, a place where up is down and wrong is right and Joe Paterno is serenaded by students who were roughly the same age, in 2002, as Sandusky's alleged shower victim.

Meanwhile, off campus, people are horrified. It seems to be the dominant opinion elsewhere that Paterno, like the handful of other Penn State officials with knowledge of the alleged assault -- the grad assistant who saw it, the athletics director who was told about it -- concerned themselves only with the minimum legal standards in 2002. The moral minimum would have been to call the police. Nobody did.

I had that very argument Tuesday night with a Penn State student, who apparently recognized me as I stood on Paterno's lawn and asked me, accusingly, "Don't you hate Paterno?"

Me: I don't hate him. But I think he should be fired.

Her: Why?

Me: Because there are eight [alleged] victims that we know about, and who knows how many more, and Paterno had the chance to stop it in 2002 and he didn't.

Her: Oh my god! He did what he was supposed to do! He told his boss!

Me: That was the bare minimum, and if you think that's great, I don't know what to tell you.

Her: I don't think it's great, I just think ... put it this way: Would you have called the police? Really? Would you?

Me: Of course. It's not even a question.

And there our conversation ended. We'd both heard enough, and we'd heard nothing. She wasn't listening to me, and I wasn't listening to her. But I was still listening to the crowd, which was chanting even as it was dispersed from Paterno's yard by police:

"We want Joe!"

Clap, clap, clap-clap-clap.

"We want Joe!"

After that chant died down, another started. It was a chant that showed the priorities of the 1,000 students who gathered outside the house of one of the few men on the planet who had the ability to stop an alleged pedophile in 2002 ... but didn't do it. Paterno told his boss, yes, but he didn't tell the police, even after it was clear that nobody else was going to tell the police. An alleged pedophile roamed State College, Pa., for another nine years. But that wasn't on the minds of the 1,000 people on Paterno's lawn Tuesday night.

This was:

"Beat Nebraska!"

Clap, clap, clap-clap-clap.

"Beat Nebraska!"

...and so will continue the embarrassment to PSU until Paterno is gone. I'm not weighing in on his culpability, but if a regent reads that blogs he's gotta be ashamed.

Top Bottom