Visiting Lincoln Next Season?

gopheraddict

Reaction score
For anyone planning to attend the Gopher game in Lincoln next season, you might find interesting the following excerpts from an email our son, a Northwestern graduate, sent us describing his visit to Lincoln last weekend:

“The fans in Lincoln really lived up to their reputation as being the best in college football. They were exceedingly hospitable...you couldn't walk 10 feet without being greeted with "Welcome to Lincoln" or "Good luck today" or "Where are you guys in from?" and being offered food or drinks. Even after the game, when they could have been angry and bitter, they wished us well and congratulated us on the win. Perhaps it's because we were thought to be harmless, or are a relatively unknown school, but they were seriously too nice. Even a few students on Friday night bought us drinks. Ironically, many of the folks we chatted with had gone to Madison, and most of them had bad things to say about the Wisconsin fans (though good things to say about Madison as a college town).”

He also included the following post from his favorite Northwestern blog:

“At some point a special shout out has to be given to Nebraska fans. And, I beg you to use your platform next year to implore NU fans to be gracious hosts.

“I have never seen anything like this – not even close. And, their behavior never changed – before or after the game. Walking out of the game countless Nebraska fans slapped me on the back and said some version of: “I hope you enjoy Lincoln, congrats – we just got beat by a good football team” (one guy even did it twice – not realizing he’d already told me the same thing). In two days I didn’t experience a single heckle and not one person claimed Nebraska lost for any other reason than they got outplayed. No blaming the refs – nothing.

“On top of that – prior to the game was just incredible. You could not walk 10 feet without someone approaching you and offering you food or beer. [A Minnesota friend] even agreed this puts “Minnesota Nice” to shame.

“A few highlights worth noting:

• The first bar we went to at 10am on Saturday, after some good natured razzing from the DJs we were sent a pitcher of beer from a table of Nebraska fans. Then they kept paying for our drinks! Even after we kept trying to buy them a round. It was like some crazy alcoholic arms race.
• On Friday night two different groups of college students at two separate bars came up and bought us shots and told us good luck. It was embarrassing – we’re in our 30s and they wouldn’t let us pay. [One of us] was begging them to let us pick up the tab – they would have none of it.
• At one point I tried to use a restroom that I later learned required a pass. Before realizing it, a Nebraska fan had hung his pass around my neck so I could enter. Upon exiting, another Nebraska fan handed me a fresh beer. It was insane.
• At the tailgate AFTER the game we were invited to people’s private parties and approached countless times by fans telling us how impressed they were with the Cats and how much they were looking forward to visiting Chicago.
• I ended the night at the hotel bar alone (waiting for a couple of friends). And immediately was surrounded by new friends – to the point that it took me about 15 minutes to extricate myself when my buddies showed up. At that point I finally got to buy a round for the Nebraska fans – only to learn later that the bar had refused to put it on my bill.
• I was in row 5 on my flight back. By the time I got there I had heard “great game” or “congrats” at least three times.

“When you see a Husker fan next year PLEASE OFFER HIM A BEER!”

Awesome, can't wait for next year. Well, I suppose I have to survive the UNLV trip before this one goes down.

I'm sure the fans will be hospitable and it will be fun, but nothing beats cruising around Madison in your Gopher gear and talking sh*t to the dirty Sconnies. Even after we lose every time, the potential fights and the lack of buying each other beers at the Essen Haus make the Mad-town trip the best trip for me. I once watched a guy in a Badgers Hockey jersey throw up outside the Essen Haus then try to fight me. God I love Madison.

I'm sure this will be completely covered by then, but I will be looking for Lincoln travel tips before next year. You know, eating, drinking and sleeping recommendations.

Awesome, can't wait for next year. Well, I suppose I have to survive the UNLV trip before this one goes down.

I'm sure the fans will be hospitable and it will be fun, but nothing beats cruising around Madison in your Gopher gear and talking sh*t to the dirty Sconnies. Even after we lose every time, the potential fights and the lack of buying each other beers at the Essen Haus make the Mad-town trip the best trip for me. I once watched a guy in a Badgers Hockey jersey throw up outside the Essen Haus then try to fight me. God I love Madison.

I'm sure this will be completely covered by then, but I will be looking for Lincoln travel tips before next year. You know, eating, drinking and sleeping recommendations.
Tip #1 from my Nebby buddy...book the hotel ASAP. Confirm the cancellation restrictions (i.e. make sure you can get your money back if something changes) but the earlier you book the better.

I love everything about this post and completely agree, even if it may be slightly sarcastic.

My folks went to the MSU-Nebraska game (as MSU fans) a couple weeks ago, and they also had a great experience. Said the Nebraska fans were terrific hosts. My folks speak highly of Notre Dame fans (as do I) having visited South Bend on many occasions, and they compared the Nebraska fans/experience to the Notre Dame fans/experience.

An interesting sidenote. A couple different Nebraska fans told them Mizzou and Colorado were the worst fans in the Big 12, Texas fans were the best in terms of how they treat opposing fans, which surprised me considering the "no love loss" between Nebraska-Texas and the whole revenue-sharing thing.

My folks answer to the same question was, Wisconsin and Ohio State they've had really bad experiences (especially OSU), Iowa and Michigan they are treated the best. The Nebraska people responded, "Yes, we already know about Wisconsin fans." Evidently Tom Osborne wrote a letter to Barry Alvarez about the way Nebraska fans were treated, most specifically by the students.

My folks answer to the same question was, Wisconsin and Ohio State they've had really bad experiences (especially OSU), Iowa and Michigan they are treated the best. The Nebraska people responded, "Yes, we already know about Wisconsin fans." Evidently Tom Osborne wrote a letter to Barry Alvarez about the way Nebraska fans were treated, most specifically by the students.

I heard a lot similar. IDK what it is, (maybe the arrogance is coming from the coasties) but it's pretty ridiculous.

My folks went to the MSU-Nebraska game (as MSU fans) a couple weeks ago, and they also had a great experience. Said the Nebraska fans were terrific hosts. My folks speak highly of Notre Dame fans (as do I) having visited South Bend on many occasions, and they compared the Nebraska fans/experience to the Notre Dame fans/experience.

An interesting sidenote. A couple different Nebraska fans told them Mizzou and Colorado were the worst fans in the Big 12, Texas fans were the best in terms of how they treat opposing fans, which surprised me considering the "no love loss" between Nebraska-Texas and the whole revenue-sharing thing.

Texas fans are the best in college football IMO. I've had little experience with the Nebraska fans but so far they seem cool too.

But in Austin, it's still really warm and inviting, but those people live for college football. I was in a bar in Austin last year after a football game and I was wearing a Gopher football hat (always wear something Gopher, doesn't matter what game i'm at), and there were a bunch of people talking about Gray, McKnight, Decker, Seantrel Henderson and Tim Brewster. They are really hospitable, incredibly fun, but also have no problem giving you crap. It's different though, the WI fans (from my experience) are strange where THEY almost act like they've accomplished something by cheering for a better football team, that doesn't exist with the Texas fans.

If you are a die hard college football rube, you have to make a trip to Austin.

Which is why I was bummed when that home and home never happened. :) That was my easy excuse to get down there some day!

Which is why I was bummed when that home and home never happened. :) That was my easy excuse to get down there some day!

So was I.

It is actually part of the reason why I wouldn't have minded at all if they would have joined the Big 10. I'd love to add Austin to our schedule every other year.

We went to a Notre Dame/Nebraska game in Lincoln a few years ago. Terrific people. My recommendation is to stay in Omaha and drive to the game or take one of the many shuttle buses. We went to the steakhouse frequented by Warren Buffett, (forget the name of it) but unfortunately did not see the Oracle. We did, however, receive a bottle of wine courtesy of the Husker fans in the restaurant, and obliged their generosity by standing and singing the ND Victory March, after which we received a standing 'O'. It was a blast. Was not impressed with the campus whatsoever. Many non-descript buildings and trampled landscaping.

Tip #1 from my Nebby buddy...book the hotel ASAP. Confirm the cancellation restrictions (i.e. make sure you can get your money back if something changes) but the earlier you book the better.

We were advised the same by many Nebraska fans who were at TCF. I need to get my butt in gear!!

Omaha has more to offer than Lincoln, especially in terms of restaurants, taverns, rock bands, etc., but Lincoln has an old town area very near campus that has plenty to offer. The campus is in the downtown, which has helped keep the downtown alive. Omaha's Old Market area is similar, but bigger - jammed on weekends from 5 p.m. on. Nebraska people are very decent types and not yokels - Omaha has nearly a million people metro.

Nice story. The Nebraska fans that sat next to us a couple weeks ago had nothing but negative things to say about Wisconsin fans.

Texas fans are the best in college football IMO. I've had little experience with the Nebraska fans but so far they seem cool too.

But in Austin, it's still really warm and inviting, but those people live for college football. I was in a bar in Austin last year after a football game and I was wearing a Gopher football hat (always wear something Gopher, doesn't matter what game i'm at), and there were a bunch of people talking about Gray, McKnight, Decker, Seantrel Henderson and Tim Brewster. They are really hospitable, incredibly fun, but also have no problem giving you crap. It's different though, the WI fans (from my experience) are strange where THEY almost act like they've accomplished something by cheering for a better football team, that doesn't exist with the Texas fans.

I happened to be in Austin in, I think, 2005 on a day the Gophers beat Purdue in a nationally meaningless game. I had a Gopher shirt on and probably got about 10 "contrats on the win" comments from random people just walking around. The love their college football down there.

My wife is from Lincoln, has attended many games (I went to one there years ago and saw Neb vs Texas with Ricky Williams in his Heisman season).

Her advice: stay downtown Lincoln - the Cornhusker is one of the nicest hotels and a good location. The Haymarket is the place to hang out- lots of bars and people. Go to PO Pears for a burger. Have a Runza. Amigo's is a Mexican restaurant fav of the locals.

My wife is from Lincoln, has attended many games (I went to one there years ago and saw Neb vs Texas with Ricky Williams in his Heisman season).

Her advice: stay downtown Lincoln - the Cornhusker is one of the nicest hotels and a good location. The Haymarket is the place to hang out- lots of bars and people. Go to PO Pears for a burger. Have a Runza. Amigo's is a Mexican restaurant fav of the locals.

PO Pears is closed. :( Amigos is amazing, but only after the bars close. Runza is great at anytime (though I'm biased as the founder lives next door to my parents.)

And to whomever suggested staying in Omaha, are you kidding me? Might as well stay in St. Cloud for a Gopher game, Milwaukee for a Badger game or Des Moines for an Iowa team. Why would you skip the whole campus/college football experience?

There are 3 large downtown hotels, and the city has enough rooms that you can usually still find rooms further from downtown if you decide to make a last minute trip.

I am planning on going. The game is the weekend before Thanksgiving if I remember correctly. It should be a blast. Like many of you on here, I heard the exact same things from the Nebraska fans by me at TCF...they despised Wisconsin and were literally shocked at how they were treated. Cannot say I was surprised.

Great thread. Thanks gang. Lessons to be learned here.

All of the downtown hotels appear to already be sold-out. I just booked a room at the AmericInn Lincoln North - a few miles north of downtown. It was $79/night ... which is actually not all that bad considering the POS Days Inn in Iowa City is currently charging $280/night for the weekend of the Gopher game next year. Seriously $280/night for a Days Inn in Iowa City??? Wow - yet another reason I hate Iowa!!

I am a Gopher fan who has lived in Omaha for the past 5 years now. I have been to Lincoln many times to tailgate and been to several games. Any Gopher fans that make the trip to Lincoln next year will have a great experience. I hated Nebraska when I originally got here because of the overwhelming amount of 'BIG RED' everywhere but over time have grown to respect an admire them. The atmosphere and hospitality that Gopher fans will receive is second to none and should make for one of the most enjoyable road trips a fan can take. Looking forward to seeing a lot of maroon and gold in Lincoln next year!

What are the odds of getting tickets through the U of M ticket office for those of us who are not Gopher season ticket holders?

What are the odds of getting tickets through the U of M ticket office for those of us who are not Gopher season ticket holders?

I would say about 1%. Minnesota will get 3,000 tickets. Season ticket holders will buy those up, but won't be offered all of them. Some will go to staff, friends of ________(insert several names here), and large contributors.
I have four season tickets and have had two of them for 42 years. I will be very happy if I can get four tickets to this game.

If you aren't a season ticket holder, you will not get tickets through the U. This season the ticket limits for road games ranged from 8 to 'unlimited', but I believe in the past Wisconsin and Iowa tickets were limited to 4 per account.

I am a Gopher fan who has lived in Omaha for the past 5 years now. I have been to Lincoln many times to tailgate and been to several games. Any Gopher fans that make the trip to Lincoln next year will have a great experience. I hated Nebraska when I originally got here because of the overwhelming amount of 'BIG RED' everywhere but over time have grown to respect an admire them. The atmosphere and hospitality that Gopher fans will receive is second to none and should make for one of the most enjoyable road trips a fan can take. Looking forward to seeing a lot of maroon and gold in Lincoln next year!

Lived here in Lincoln for nearly 20 years, I go to many Husker events every year and have always worn a Gopher hat or coat. I have always been treated very well. I do appreciate what Husker football was and is, but still have trouble with some fans and all of the "Big Red" stuff. Go to many basketball games and have season tickets for Husker baseball and get along very well with those fans, different attitude than the die hard football fans. Gopher fans will be treated very well, and do stay in Lincoln rather than Omaha for the experience.

All of the downtown hotels appear to already be sold-out. I just booked a room at the AmericInn Lincoln North - a few miles north of downtown. It was $79/night ... which is actually not all that bad considering the POS Days Inn in Iowa City is currently charging $280/night for the weekend of the Gopher game next year. Seriously $280/night for a Days Inn in Iowa City??? Wow - yet another reason I hate Iowa!!

The places I have contacted will not book more than a year out. Same with the AmericInn. They put us on a waiting list and said they will let us know within a week. I understand there is a gameday shuttle that leaves from Walmart which is close to the AmericInn.

The places I have contacted will not book more than a year out. Same with the AmericInn. They put us on a waiting list and said they will let us know within a week. I understand there is a gameday shuttle that leaves from Walmart which is close to the AmericInn.

That may be true for some hotels, so I'll have to check back in a few weeks to try to get an upgrade. However, I do have a confirmed reservation at the AmericInn. Don't call the hotel - just make your reservation online. I used hotels.com.

None of the Big 3 downtown hotels book more than a year in advance. I was looking for hotels for last weekend's Northwestern game a month ago and there were still rooms left at the Cornhusker.

I live in Sioux City which is a little over 2 hrs from Lincoln, Im pretty sure Ill be driving down for the game. The Husker fans around here are pretty good people compared to the Hawkeye fans, should be a good time.

Top Bottom