The biggest defensive difference thus far has to be...

RunGopherRun

Reaction score
the presence of an actual pass rush!! Last year, and even at the beginning of this year, the pass rush was totally non-existent. And even if we aren't recording sacks (which we have had more of recently) there has been more noticeable pressure on the QB. The opposing QB has not had the luxury to stand in the pocket, and look, and stand, and eat a sandwich, and then find an open receiver. This pressure is making the lives of the DB's much easier as well. But biggest positive from the newfound pass rush has been that watching the games hasn't been quite as frustrating as they have been in the past!!

I think we've just played a lot more aggressive lately. Some of it may be play calling but the defense is just flying around a lot more than before. There have been just as many big hits in the past two games as the previous seven combined. At least it seems that way.

I would say it has more to do with the opponent then our defense. I think that USC, NDSU, Iowa, and MSU all have a similar pocket passing style. That is a good match-up for us. We'll see how we do when our defense matches up against Northwestern and Illinois to end the season.

I think we've just played a lot more aggressive lately. Some of it may be play calling but the defense is just flying around a lot more than before. There have been just as many big hits in the past two games as the previous seven combined. At least it seems that way.

Agree. They blew up a couple of plays to Keshawn Martin on the bubble screen that I thought were both impressive, especially stopping him short on a 4th down play.

its the difference of playing and not thinking about what to do every second.. these guys now know what there job is, its becoming second nature. thats the difference

Top Bottom