JC running back for next year?

Agreed. They have the JC in Gillum that will hopefully give us some much needed speed to go with Kirkwood's power. I think we have much more immediate needs at other positions for the JC help.

We have been hammered with injuries at the RB position...so we really don't know what we have...except a lack of quality depth. So I am optimistic that next year will be better and the year after better again.

Unlike virtually any other position, you know what you have immediately with an RB.

There are exceptions, of course. But you have a pretty good grasp of them during their frosh year.

I thought we were loaded at RB?

Unlike virtually any other position, you know what you have immediately with an RB.

There are exceptions, of course. But you have a pretty good grasp of them during their frosh year.

I thought we were loaded at RB?

I can't remember anyone saying that we were loaded at RB. I remember some people saying we wouldn't really miss Eskridge a ton, and that's debateable. I don't know if Eskridge is an upgrade over Bennett (they're pretty close).

I remember people saying we have depth, and we do have depth. I don't remember anyone saying that we had a stud back there.

But other than that, I do agree that a lot of RBs you can tell what you have immedietly. Unfortunately for us, a lot of our younger RBs (Cobb and Kirkwood) have been banged up all year and so it's been hard to really grasp how good they are going to be.

The JC we have coming in is small. We need more production from the designated RB (in addition to Gray) and that seems important to Limegrover's offense. Each year on paper we have the RBs, but somehow the running game doesn't materialize, leaving us near the bottom of the conference in rushing (and when you deduct Gray's efforts, which are often impromptu, there isn't much left).

195 isn't big for a RB, but it certainly isn't "small" either. I'm more concerned about having a good RB than about his size. We haven't had a good Big Ten RB since at least Pinnix, which may even be giving him too much credit.

What about moving Edwards back to RB? Or is he permanetly at LB now?

you need an ol to open holes before you hav a rb.. give our ol some time to delvelop and then you will see a runningback

I can't remember anyone saying that we were loaded at RB. I remember some people saying we wouldn't really miss Eskridge a ton, and that's debateable. I don't know if Eskridge is an upgrade over Bennett (they're pretty close).

I remember people saying we have depth, and we do have depth. I don't remember anyone saying that we had a stud back there.

But other than that, I do agree that a lot of RBs you can tell what you have immedietly. Unfortunately for us, a lot of our younger RBs (Cobb and Kirkwood) have been banged up all year and so it's been hard to really grasp how good they are going to be.

The vibe I got before the season started was that many here felt we were fine at the rb position. I was one who disagreed with that. I still think we are really, really, really thin at the position. I just don't see one guy stepping up to be "the guy" next year. At least with Eskridge and Bennett who had two guys who were close to being "the guy". Next year will be interesting-Kirkwood should have the head start, but it seems as though he hasn't improved at all this year. We could use any JC help we can get imo.

What do they need to do to get Kirkwood healthy? He didn't learn the offense because of that hammy and apparently isn't trusted in blocking situations. Just get him healthy and on the same page - that kid can be good...

The vibe I got before the season started was that many here felt we were fine at the rb position. I was one who disagreed with that. I still think we are really, really, really thin at the position. I just don't see one guy stepping up to be "the guy" next year. At least with Eskridge and Bennett who had two guys who were close to being "the guy". Next year will be interesting-Kirkwood should have the head start, but it seems as though he hasn't improved at all this year. We could use any JC help we can get imo.

I think the vibe you got was that people didn't see the RB position as a position where we had a stud but it was a position where we had some depth. I still think that assesment is fair. If you look at our thinnest positions....

Our OL is so thin that we are starting Bak. That isn't ripping on him at all, he has actually played really good. However, going into the season, if someone said that Bak would be playing a ton against MSU/WI/IA...most people wouldn't have even known who he was. My point is that OL was a position that was/is SO thin that we are forced to play a walk on freshman significant minutes (you see a similar situation with our DBs).

WR we were so thin that we had a difficult time practicing in the spring. Some of the younger players have really stepped up and we've been fortunate (besides Jones) to stay pretty healthy there.

I guess my point is that while we don't have a ton of talent (or hasn't been shown yet) at the RB position, we have depth.

That said, I am completely cool with them bringing in anyone who they think can help. If they think Gillum can come here and help our team out, sign him up. We aren't "stacked" at RB, we just aren't on the verge of having to play a walk on FR.

Top Bottom