Sports Huddle: Coach Kill - 11/6/11

DL65

Reaction score
I experienced some technical problems with my computer, so I missed coach Kill's opening comments; however, I heard most of his responses:

1) When my computer connected with the Sports Huddle, Kill said, "Blown coverages and kicking problems won't win close games." Yesterday's punting woes was mentioned frequently during the half-hour show.

2) Marqueis Gray: He's getting better. Getting hurt early in the season set him back quite a bit. Kill is pleased with his progress and attitude and he's making people around him much better, which Kill said is extremely important for quarterbacks.

3) Offensive line: Yesterday's staring offensive line was the fifth or sixth starting group this season because of multiple injuries. Some of the youngsters (backups) are getting valuable playing time. Kill said coach Limegrover is probably doing his best coaching job this year and since he's been with coach Kill. (Weekly adjustments due to the injuries has been a great burden.)

4) Sid asked about the offensive line (specific players): Kill cited Caleb Bak, Ryan Wynn, Ed Olson, and then focused on Chris Bunders (has moved around to several positiions because of injuries) and freshman Zac Epping. He said Epping has played with a shoulder injury . . . plays hard and is tough (his type of player).

5) MSU scoring with seconds left in the first half: "We scored too soon." QB Cousins moved the Spartans down the field; however, the Gophers failed to make a couple of plays during the drive that they should've made. The team is handling adversity better. Disappointment: We had an opportunity (to win a game) but we didn't do it.

6) In every game there are about 150 snaps, but winning and losing comes down to about 8 plays. The team that makes the least mistakes wins the game. We had 3 or 4 mental errors in the secondary and poor punting. MSU's punter pinned us down (we had a long field) and we gave them a short field to execute their offense.

7) McKnight: He had some good catches and Gray did a good job getting him the ball.

8) Defense: We helped each other. Offensively we controlled the game (had many more plays than MSU . . . kept the defense on the sidelines). Played the run hard, however, we got cut-off up front that led to some good runs by the Spartans. Mental errors (discipline factor) and kicking game cost the Gophers the game.

9) Crawford-Tufts injury: He'll be sore today due to a high thigh bruise. A lot of the players are sore (Iowa and MSU games were very physical). "The players are physically and mentally worn."

10) Speed guys or lack thereof: Stoudermire has been a big loss (kick returns and defense). The kick return game has taken a big hit with Marcus Jones' injury.

11) Punting game: Last week against Iowa Orseske was 38.5 per kick and this week he averaged 36.1. You're in good shape when you're up around 38 plus and with good coverage. Again, Kill said yesterday's punting played a big part in the loss (field position).

12) Freshmen in yesterday's game: "Too many!" Kill said he thought he played about 7-8 maybe 9 freshmen/red-shirted freshman. He mentioned Wells, Thompson, Levine, Tufts, Perry, Amaefula, and some offensive lineman (no lineman names given).

13) Ge'Shun Harris: Made a big play and Kill and the team are happy for him. Took a big hit after the catch and held on. The catch will give him confidence. He's struggled learning the offense, but he works hard.

14) Sid, "I thought you'd be excited." Kill said he is excited, expecially with the team's progress. Five weeks ago the Gophers were blasted by the Wolverines . . . the Gophers beat Iowa . . . and Iowa beat Michigan yesterday. 90% of the game is above the neck. Kill then said emphatically, "I don't like to lose!" We're competing, working our tails off, and when you lose it's hard on everyone. "I've got to do a better job of coaching (that's what he said to the team after yesterday's game). If I did, they wouldn't make the mistakes they do."

15) MSU incompletion that was initially ruled a fumble: Great teaching moment. He was confident the call would be overruled (incompletion and not a lateral). The play is a good reminder, that you don't stop playing until the whistle is blown . . . you scoop up the ball.

16) You've got play all phases of the game to win. We won the offense phase . . . 2 or 3 breakdowns on defense . . . MSU punter pinned us down and we did a poor job in the kicking game.

17) Spiking the ball penalty (McKnight and Cousins): Shouldn't happen. Kill cited Barry Sanders demeanor, "Act like you've been there."

Go Gophers!!

Thanks for the report, DL. I was able to listen today, and you summed it up very accurately.

Thanks DL65! He doesn't sound too happy with the punting.

when Kill was first hired he mentioned special teams play and how that until can and does win football games, it can also loose you games. It will be interesting to see who kill brings in over the next couple years to improve that area.

OL- what more can be said, they still make some dumb mistakes however Limegrover is really starting to impress me with his ability to teach these kids how to play in the trenches.. Really loooking forward to watching these boys develop both in strength as well as technique.

DL- another unit im enjoying watching grow. Starting to get some pressure... and thats something we havent had in a long time. Once again after another offseason of s&c with kline and thoes boys will be tough to push around..

Thanks DL! Excellent work!

I'm becoming more impressed with the staff too. Which O-lineman picked up the corner or safety blitz? That was a thing of beauty.

when Kill was first hired he mentioned special teams play and how that until can and does win football games, it can also loose you games. It will be interesting to see who kill brings in over the next couple years to improve that area.

OL- what more can be said, they still make some dumb mistakes however Limegrover is really starting to impress me with his ability to teach these kids how to play in the trenches.. Really loooking forward to watching these boys develop both in strength as well as technique.

DL- another unit im enjoying watching grow. Starting to get some pressure... and thats something we havent had in a long time. Once again after another offseason of s&c with kline and thoes boys will be tough to push around..

I agree!

If someone would have told me that an OL of Ed Olson-Caleb Bak- Ryan Wynn- Zac Epping-Chris Bunders would have such a good game against MSU's DL, which is one of the better DLs in the entire question, I would have been shocked. They were coached almost perfectly (saw almost no mental mistakes), they played hard and tough. Kudos to those coaches and those OL!

The DL is starting to really get better. Jacobs had an awesome game against MSU, Kirksey really held his own and our young DE's are starting to create a little havoc. I am pumped up to see what Ben Perry and Amaefula will look like when they are 15 to 20 pounds larger, and JRs/Srs.

Top Bottom