Doogie: Gophers have gone from unwatchable to watchable

Good read, Doogie was on point about playing to the whistle. Every defensive player on the field on that play should be running extra sprints. If you run to the ball like coach kill demands, that play would not have been possible.

Doogieman says: "...Kill needs to find a couple cornerbacks before next February's National Signing Day..."

I say: "...we need to find a whole bunch of new sports media people long before next February's National Signing Day..."

Out with the old and tired sports media types. Ditch 'em...dump 'em...drop 'em. Retire 'em. Put them out to pasture. And throw them under the bus!

; 0 )

Birdy, I agree 100%. Now Doogie thinks he can jump on the bandwagon, after all his badmouthing.

Birdy, I agree 100%. Now Doogie thinks he can jump on the bandwagon, after all his badmouthing.

Tell it like I see it, which can be good (individual TV and web stories/team stories and recaps) and bad (95 unanswered points, 103-3 in three first halves to start Big Ten season, etc.).

And, we, the reading public will need to point out the bad stuff we have been subjected to by you and your sports media buddies who have been around entirely too long doogieman. How long have schmidt and rosen and shaver and powers and sansevere and barrerio (sp? who cares?) and sid's kid chad ( you know chad, sid's his dad. He isn't doing sports at the good neighbor, but, he's just been around for TOO long whining and complaining about Minnesota in general. And it's time to dis max to the MAX! It's time that Minnesota complains about HIM! ) and reusse and sid been recycling the same tired old stuff? Why doogieman, It seems to me as though you have been hanging around these parts for well over a decade yourself in various roles that have more or less been based upon supporting kfan trash-talking or some other way of supporting the local long-of-tooth bashers, mobbers or professional sports shill-types. The sports media faces need to change. Their voices need to be replaced. Their faces have grown too old...too predictable...too dominated and OWNED by the professional sports scene. How many decades is too many decades. The current sports media personalities have over-stayed their shelf-life and no longer provide a product that is worth viewing, reading or listening to. It is time to stand up to old guard of sports media personalities in this market!

Too much from you people is just too much.

We fire coaches. We even get some new administrators once in a while. We have had 3 stadiums and places to play home football games since I have been watching Gopher Football. Every four or five years we have entirely new players. Coaches lots of time don't last any longer than that.

Heck doogieman: why the heck do the sports media people in the Twin Cities stick around so darn long? So many of them are sub-standard and have been losers for the past 30 or 40 or 50 or in some cases, even 60 or more years. It is utterly WASTEFUL to go ahead and replace coaches, players, administrators, and even facilities without replacing the people who do their damndest to get those coaches replaced every four or five years and write the stories that bash and trash and make total fun of those coaches that the administrators fire all the time.

Yes, doogieman, it is time to start cleaning house in the newspapers, radio studios and in the tv stations all across the greater Minneapolis/St. Paul media market area. We have got to run you people out of town for having written all those terrible stories and pieces about those coaches who always were getting fired and/or bought out. It IS time for YOU people to get the axe doogieman.

(Now THAT would be so apropos: having all those 30 and 40 year veterans of the Twins Cities sports media industry get the AXE on the week of the Gopher/Badger battle for the AXE border battle!)

Then we will see if the fortunes of the Golden Gopher Football Program will improve. IF we can run this negative, cynical and ancient press corps and sports media mobbers and bashers off and start ALL OVER AGAIN by totally rebuilding the sports media personality market in the Twin Cities, our Gopher Football Program just MAY thrive at long-last. What a GREAT day that would be.

And, then doogieman, IF that doesn't do the trick, I will start a campaign to run off all the 50 and 60 year veterans of Golden Gopher Football fans such as myself. You know, all the old farts who have been bleeding Maroon & Gold since the 1950's and 1960's who have put up with ALL THE CRAP that sid and reusse and powers and sansevere and walters and rosen and barrerio (sp? why bother?) and schmidt and shaver and dark star and anyone else up to and including that doogieman who used to throw slow balls to the kfan bashers, trashers and cheap-shot artists.

That's right doogieman: I'm even ready to run myself off and replace myself as a fan IF...and ONLY if...this purging of the sports media members who have been around for SO long does not succeed in providing a cleansing and healing environment in which Golden Gopher Football can prosper, survive and COMPETE within the Big Ten Conference!

Nothing personal against you doogieman. But, for the good of Gopher Football, you and all those long-time sports media people who have polluted the sports media spin against Golden Gopher Football it is time for you to head to new, territories to the east...west...north or south. And, if THAT doesn't work then we will KNOW that it is the long-time blue-hairs who have foolishly supported Gopher Football even when the administrators refused to properly support the coaches, players and program who are going to need to be the next to go...you know...people just like me. Perhaps we HAVE put up with an administration that really didn't care if the football program won/lost or even was competetive. We enabled by making contributions, buying tickets and showing up even when the administration didn't provide for a good program, the sports media personalities were SO negative and were so mean spirited toward Golden Gopher Football.

It will ALL be for the greater good of Gopher Football doogieman! It's ALL good doogieman! We have to call it like we see it about the sports media industry in the Twin Cities area. We can NOT sugar-coat it. We have got to be brutally honest about you sports media types and believe me: there are a LOT of pent up resentments and many, many examples of times the local sports media types have taken the LOW ROAD concerning Golden Gopher Football. It's not so much what is said...but HOW it is said. And, it is coming back at all of the over-the-hill sports media members now.

Call it like you see it doogieman...and, believe me, you will be called back by folks who see your methods as being less than adequate. It's a dog-eat-dog world out there doogieman. Out with the old and TOTALLY rebuild the sports media personality business in the Twin Cities area.

; 0 )

Keep it up, Doogie. You can't please everyone. Don't blow smoke up folks' a$$es. Sid does just fine on his own. Fact is, the team was horrible, the coach was having seizures and things didn't look so swell. For 2 1/2 games though, things are looking up.

Good read, Doogie was on point about playing to the whistle. Every defensive player on the field on that play should be running extra sprints. If you run to the ball like coach kill demands, that play would not have been possible.

I understand where you're coming from, and maybe if Kim was on that side of the field it wouldn't have happened, but kids are also coached not to commit a personal foul penalty. Even if you don't hear a whistle, you could get burned with a 15-yarder if you plow into a guy after what you see is an incomplete pass. How many times do you see a late hit penalty on the sidelines when a guy has just barely stepped out of bounds. Many times the late hit probably starts before the whistle actually blows. So the "play through the whistle" mantra isn't always the smartest way to play the game. That play was one of those unfortunate circumstances.

All a coach has to do is to ORDER that his players put the pads on anyone from the opposite team any where near any pass incompletion or situation in which the whistle has not blown the play dead. Then, IF the whistle blows while the tackle is in progress, the coach needs to accept that the kid was just following orders. The coach needs to ORDER the players to do this and then the coach has to take personal responsibility for anything and everything that may result from the "laying on of pads." I don't know how many times I have seen defnsive players get whistled down for hitting an optioning qb "working the sidelines..." The coach has to decide exactly what the coach wants as far as this goes and then the coach needs to accept all responsibility should a late hit be called. How agressive does the coach want the defense to play it? THAT is the question.

Will this cause more injuries? Will it result in a much more penalized and "undisciplined" defense? Will it create "hesitation" on the part of the defender? How do you get ALL refs to respond EXACTLY the same way as all other refs as far as WHEN to whistle a play dead? Will it cause the rules committees to take a look at some of the rules such as the "lateral pass" rules? The problem for defensive players and coaches lies in the fact that virtually every rule change penalizes the defender and gives an advantage to to offensive player. Throw in their attempts to "protect" (I'm not saying they shouldn't try to safeguard) quarterbacks and receivers, and then the "human factor" that limits the game officials from being consistant in how they call the games, whistle plays dead, etc and you can see how difficult this type of situation is

To have some sports media person be critical of a player appears to ignore many of the "factors" that come into play here after the fact is absurd. doogieman, you KNOW what the ruling on that play was. The kid was RIGHT to play it exactly the way he played it. The omnipotent instant replay camera captured the entire incident. It WAS a forward pass that went incomplete.

We criticize late hits. We criticize too agressive styles of play. We criticize styles of play that lack agressivness. We criticize the lack of discipline when a penalty is called. And then, all of a sudden, there is no whistle on on an incomplete pass, an offensive player picks the ball up off the turf and waltzes into the endzone and it takes a freaking two minute "instant review" of the play to determine that the defensive player WAS correct in not putting the pads on the offensive player who picked the incomplete pass off the turf all along. We criticize...we criticize and then we criticize some more. And I am taking it one step further: I am criticizing the criticism!

; 0 )

I understand where you're coming from, and maybe if Kim was on that side of the field it wouldn't have happened, but kids are also coached not to commit a personal foul penalty. Even if you don't hear a whistle, you could get burned with a 15-yarder if you plow into a guy after what you see is an incomplete pass. How many times do you see a late hit penalty on the sidelines when a guy has just barely stepped out of bounds. Many times the late hit probably starts before the whistle actually blows. So the "play through the whistle" mantra isn't always the smartest way to play the game. That play was one of those unfortunate circumstances.

Good points. Maybe the question probably should be why didn't he dive for the ball when it was on the ground and the Spartan was fumbling around for it.

Top Bottom