Penn St ex-coach, others charged in child sex case

Here it is, Bob Ford Philadelphia sports columnist calls for Paterno's head:

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/colleges/133308693.html?cmpid=125219969

If I was the president of Penn State, I would start an aggressive investigation prepared to forfeit the rest of the season and to fire Paterno and his entire staff.

So you want to punish a bunch of innocent kids by forfeiting the rest of the season because of something that happened before they ever got to campus and without any of their knowledge. That's simply not an appropriate solution.

I suspect there will be several firings in the next couple of days, possibly one involving a legendary coach.

I hate this kind of thing to the point that I have not read the articles in their enirety, suppose I shouldn't comment then. But you have to believe with something this complicated that by the time it's said and done some of those involved are going to look a lot cleaner and some are going to look a lot dirtier. Much unknown at this point.

Just sounds like the sort of thing that when you first hear about it you get pissed, then by the time all the facts come out things look completely different.

http://bwi.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1289577

See the AP article, as posted on the Penn State Rivals page.

He contends that he had never was told the full gory details of the 2002 incident. This would go along with what Curley and others had testified - that they hadn't heard the most serious details either. So is that the truth?

One must ask themself - if you are Paterno, or Tim Curley, or anyone else involved, and you heard explicit details from an eyewitness of a rape of a young boy occurring in the football locker room; how would you NOT act further? This is why I find it hard to believe that Paterno or others ever actually were told the full details by the GA. Their future actions, including allowing what would have to be deemed a disgusting man future access to campus facilities, do not seem to corroborate full knowledge of the situation.

That said, perhaps they should have pressed for more details, then...

Like I said earlier I don't care if he, Curley, or anyone else in the administration had the gory details. At a minimum info was passed up that there was a wrestling match going on in a shower between a sixty year old man and and ten year old boy in which the sixty year old man may have inappropriately grabbed the boy's genitals. That alone should have been enough to trigger a call to the proper authorities. They evidently thought it was serious enough to ban Sandusky from bringing kids around the facility again.

Let me ask you this. Don't you think that Paterno has a responsibility to step up and notify authorities if it looks like the administration is going to try and bury this thing? Does he not have a moral obligation to protect other children from being abused? The chain of command argument just doesn't cut it. This isn't the military and Paterno has as much clout as anyone at Penn State. Its too serious to just let it be swept under the rug.

So you want to punish a bunch of innocent kids by forfeiting the rest of the season because of something that happened before they ever got to campus and without any of their knowledge. That's simply not an appropriate solution.

I suspect there will be several firings in the next couple of days, possibly one involving a legendary coach.

Agreed that forfeiting the season makes no sense. Also agreed that several people will be out of jobs in the very near future.

This is the worst story I have ever seen in college football. :(

Paterno needs to announce that he will retire at the end of the season within the next 8-10 hours, or he will be resigning in disgrace by Friday.

This is the worst story I have ever seen in college football. :(

Paterno needs to announce that he will retire at the end of the season within the next 8-10 hours, or he will be resigning in disgrace by Friday.

Whoa...let's let the investigation play out before we start calling for Joe Pa's head! We have no idea about what was said between the grad asst and Joe Pa...we may never no for sure. Anytime there are charges off child sexual abuse it rightly enrages everyone and people want to blame someone quickly...all the more reason for everyone to step back, take a deep breath and let Joe Pa have his innocence until we find out otherwise. My question is how will we ever know what the grad asst told Joe Pa? What was the nature of their relationship? If there was no mention of anything sexual as Paterno claims in his statement, then he did the right thing imo by reporting to the person responsible for Sandusky. If the grad asst indeed mentioned anything of a sexual nature then Paterno should be gone instantly. I'm really hoping the grad asst was psycho and had it out for Sandusky and there weren't actually any kids harmed...one can hope.

Whoa...let's let the investigation play out before we start calling for Joe Pa's head! We have no idea about what was said between the grad asst and Joe Pa...we may never no for sure. Anytime there are charges off child sexual abuse it rightly enrages everyone and people want to blame someone quickly...all the more reason for everyone to step back, take a deep breath and let Joe Pa have his innocence until we find out otherwise. My question is how will we ever know what the grad asst told Joe Pa? What was the nature of their relationship? If there was no mention of anything sexual as Paterno claims in his statement, then he did the right thing imo by reporting to the person responsible for Sandusky. If the grad asst indeed mentioned anything of a sexual nature then Paterno should be gone instantly. I'm really hoping the grad asst was psycho and had it out for Sandusky and there weren't actually any kids harmed...one can hope.

You obviously didn't read the grand jury report. This is the biggest story in sports and it is ugly. Read the grand jury report before you make another comment about what McQueary (grad assistant) and the maintenance man (former Korean War vet) saw on separate occasions. The maintenance man was so distraught co-workers were scared he was going to have a heart attack. Another HS coach caught him on the floor with another boy in a HS. Eight boys have come forward, including a soldier serving overseas. This more than a few unstable people. Desperate cell phone calls. His first FORMAL investigation coinciding with his "retirement" before his 60th birthday while he still had dreams of coaching PSU.

Bob Ford says it best when alluding to Paterno meeting his obligation when asking if he would have expected more if it was one of his grandchildren. Paterno was in his 60's and 70's when this was going down. Reminds me a lot of the generation of people who kept quiet and didn't address the Catholic abuse in the 50's, 60's, and 70's, and 80's.

If I was the president of Penn State, I would start an aggressive investigation prepared to forfeit the rest of the season and to fire Paterno and his entire staff.
What? You can't be serious. How does this punish the appropriate party AT ALL? This is a lot of stupid in one place.

But we need to punish somebody now!

What? You can't be serious. How does this punish the appropriate party AT ALL? This is a lot of stupid in one place.

Unfortunately GoAUpher this irrational over the top response is seen way too often here. My hope and belief is that it represents only a small but vocal minority. What we have here is an electronic version of a mob. Very sad.

Two thoughts that I have:

1. How much did Paterno know? Did McQueary really not tell him the whole story of what he saw back in 2002? I just find that hard to believe. Or is Paterno now throwing him under the bus? And even if he didn't get all the details - it was still a 60 year old man in a shower with a young boy!

2. A year after McQueary witnessed what he did and went to Paterno, he accepted an assistant job on the staff. Was he given a job for his silence? How do you even stay around for the last 9 years knowing what happened and still seeing Sandusky around the program?

While we don't have a transcript of exactly what McQueary told Paterno, Paterno told the administration enough that Schultz testified before the grand jury that he was under the impression that Sandusky was wrestling around in the shower with a ten year old boy and may have inappropriately grabbed his genitals. He also told them enough that they felt it appropriate to ban Sandusky from bringing kids onto campus.

For Paterno to emerge unscathed out of this all of the media reports better be completely fabricated. I guess that's possible but I find it unlikely. It sucks to see a college football legend who everyone thought stood for the right values get dragged down by this but if the reports are true he deserves it.

You know that these are only the kids that stepped forward, or when he got caught in the action.

I hope he gets tossed in pound me in the butt prison.

Drew Magary comes through with a spot-on Column today about this situation.

This whole PSU thing is less an indictment of college football than it is an indictment of all entrenched adult institutions. From big-time college football to the Catholic Church to Wall St. to government agencies, you'll find that people almost always choose to cover their ass and protect their jobs (and friends) rather than do the right thing.
Blowing the whistle

http://deadspin.com/5857014/jerry-sandusky-joe-paterno-and-the-failure-of-adult-institutions-everywhere

Pedophiles and creep bastards like Sandusky should have the torture and violence they reigned on kids come back on them ten fold. Goes for any pedohphile creeps they deserve all that is bad that will happen to them. Sickens me that he Sandusky was a coach and that people trusted this guy around kids, even after allegations and weird behaviors were being noticed and people up the chain of command were notified and covered it up. He needs to spend the rest of his days locked up, not in a mental hospital either, he needs to be in jail.

No way Paterno can return next year. He followed the letter of the law, but not calling the police or following up is morally indefensible. Can you imagine that at no time in the past ten years he didn't ask the AD, "Hey, what ever happened with that kid and Jerry in the showers?" or "How come the police weren't called?"
Mike McGrary (spelling?) is going to have a hard time finding work. Can you imagine going into a parents home and saying, "I'll take care of your young man for the next 4-5 years." He saw a child being molested and didn't call the police...he called his boss. For the next ten years he worked around the molester and never did the right thing.
Since when if you saw a child being raped you didn't call the police?

Have to agree with all of this. Paterno's involvement in this (or non-involvement) is just messed up. I'm also guessing this will be his last year.

I'm shocked to hear that it was Mike McQueary that was the Grad Assistant. Someone that is still obviously very involved in the program. Does anybody remember if Sandusky was around the program after this was reported in 2002? Or was that the end of the emeritus status and access to the football facilities, etc.?
When we were speculating a couple of months back about who would eventually take over for Paterno, my vote was for the big dopey redhead who was always shown on the sidelines. I'm guessing McQueary's not in the conversation anymore. What a terrible mess this is for everyone involved.

At this point, and regardless of his knowledge or involvement in "who knew what and when", Paterno MUST resign in order for the PSU football program to move on from this.

This is an imperative necessity. Otherwise, it just looks like he looked the other way so that he could stick around and break the win record. At this point, it's all about perception. The real facts won't come out for months, maybe years.

JoePa hanging on, maybe even through the end of the season, will utterly destroy PSU football for years.

A line from Deadspin

This line from the Deadspin article explains perfectly why JoePa must go.

"I think the reason Paterno went to his AD and didn't go to the cops is because it provided him with the chance to have it both ways. This way, he was able to "report" it, without having to be the person who takes the significantly braver step of actually calling the police."

Anyone who knew what happened from the janitor, to the GA, to the head coach, the AD, and the President needs to go.

If their first thought was to protect themselves, their jobs, and the university, they have no business working for a school.

This line from the Deadspin article explains perfectly why JoePa must go.

"I think the reason Paterno went to his AD and didn't go to the cops is because it provided him with the chance to have it both ways. This way, he was able to "report" it, without having to be the person who takes the significantly braver step of actually calling the police."

Anyone who knew what happened from the janitor, to the GA, to the head coach, the AD, and the President needs to go.

If their first thought was to protect themselves, their jobs, and the university, they have no business working for a school.

Yep, Penn St. has to rid themselves of anyone and everyone involved with this IMO.

I think it will likely come out that the janitor situation led to Sandusky's firing. How in the hell do they let him keep hanging out at PSU and working with children?

Paterno's legacy has been irrevocably damaged by this.

Just checking back in now, no need to expand on why I think Paterno will not be back next year after reading everyone else's comments. I will take it one step further and say that I believe NONE of the current coaching staff will be back next year. I predict a complete housecleaning and naming of a new head coach from outside the Institution within one week of this year's final game. JoePa announces his resignation; a short and embarrassing 'celebration' of his career; no getting to name his successor or any involvement in that process at all. Adios JoePa. Enter the biggest name Coach out there who might be interested; surprised if discrete inquiries not already being made.

More from CNN/SI and what could explain Paterno's thinking:

Paterno has done far more good than harm in his career. But if you have been paying attention, you know that he has a bad habit of minimizing serious allegations.

When Penn State receiver Tony Johnson was arrested for driving under the influence a few years ago, Paterno said he would discipline him "just because I have to send a message to the squad that it is inappropriate to be out in the middle of the week having a couple of drinks."

Police said Johnson had a blood-alcohol level of .136, well above the legal limit.

Before a bowl game against Penn State in 2006, Florida State linebacker A.J. Nicholson was accused of sexual assault. Remember: This was not Paterno's player. He didn't have to say anything.

But he said this: "There are so many people gravitating to these kids. Maybe he didn't know what he was getting into, Nicholson. Somebody will knock on the door. A cute girl knocks on the door. What do you do?

"Thank God, they don't knock on my door. I'd refer them to a couple of other rooms.

"But that's too bad. You hate to see that, you really do. You'd like to see a kid end up his career. And he's a heck of a football player, he really is. It's just too bad. That's all I can say. It's just too bad."

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...11/07/pennst.scandal/index.html#ixzz1d4K6LqP4

No way Paterno can return next year. He followed the letter of the law, but not calling the police or following up is morally indefensible. Can you imagine that at no time in the past ten years he didn't ask the AD, "Hey, what ever happened with that kid and Jerry in the showers?" or "How come the police weren't called?"
Mike McGrary (spelling?) is going to have a hard time finding work. Can you imagine going into a parents home and saying, "I'll take care of your young man for the next 4-5 years." He saw a child being molested and didn't call the police...he called his boss. For the next ten years he worked around the molester and never did the right thing.
Since when if you saw a child being raped you didn't call the police?

First, McQueary's situation is difficult. Are you positive about what YOU would do in that situation? First, I'm sure McQueary was in total shock; second, I'm sure he was frightened about the possibility of Sandusky physically coming after a witness of that type of crime. Third, sometimes people block out things they can't comprehend, or are so absurd that it seems unreal. Sometimes people try not to believe that they have witnessed disturbing things. Whatever the case, you passing judgment on McQueary without hearing his side of the story is just as wrong as what he did or did not do. He didn't ask to witness that. No one wants to. I'm sure it still deeply disturbs him and always probably will. Leave McQueary out of it.

First, McQueary's situation is difficult. Are you positive about what YOU would do in that situation? First, I'm sure McQueary was in total shock; second, I'm sure he was frightened about the possibility of Sandusky physically coming after a witness of that type of crime. Third, sometimes people block out things they can't comprehend, or are so absurd that it seems unreal. Sometimes people try not to believe that they have witnessed disturbing things. Whatever the case, you passing judgment on McQueary without hearing his side of the story is just as wrong as what he did or did not do. He didn't ask to witness that. No one wants to. I'm sure it still deeply disturbs him and always probably will. Leave McQueary out of it.

I get your argument that we don't have all of the facts and that we should withhold judgement. That said, how can you say to leave McQeary out of it? He's a rather large part of the whole situation. Giving him a free pass without knowing exactly what he did or didn't do is as irresponsible as prematurely condemning someone.

Leave him out of it? He witnessed a 57 year old man molesting a ten year old boy in the shower and didn't call the police. For the past nine years, Mcquery has known that Sandusky was a molester who was volunteering with kids. He knew Sandusky was taking kids into his home and on trips, yet said nothing. He morally failed.

So is this limited to internal discipline or will the NCAA/B1G also weigh in?

Top Bottom