After The Last 2 Weeks...Are There Still Any DOUBTERS...???

Second Derivative +, First Derivative (0 V +)?

There is no way any gopher fan could be upset with what we've seen from this team the past two weeks. I don't think anyone out there would say we have turned the corner or that we are "there" yet, but these weeks have shown that this coaching staff has the potential to do good things with this program. I'm certainly optimistic as to what the future might hold

Hats Off To Thee!

1. I believe the second derivative with respect to time is now positive. I think we can all agree on that. If we cannot, then OK. It is my opinion.

2. I don't know if the first derivative with respect to time is now positive. But I don't think you can say with certainty that it is still negative. Is it zero? If so, then we might have turned the corner.

3. I believe what we are witnessing is the seeds of our new coaching staff's system beginning to sprout. Please continue to add sunlight, good weather, water, and sufficient fertilizer. Pray that weed infestation, pests, and infectious disease don't ruin this young crop.

Kill Switch

I am now a Kill supporter. Not 100%. Certainly not zero, either.

Progress has been made. No doubt. What is in doubt is the ability of this board to accept the opinions of others who have doubted or made baseless predictions of coach Kill being the turnaround guy for Minnesota. There isn't enough evidence that we are turning the proverbial corner. Next year, we will have 3 new offensive linemen starting. We will have 2 new defensive linemen starting. It will be another year of struggle and change. I could not possibly at this point suggest the Gophers will rise in the standings or even look that much better in the early part of the season with any assurance it will occur. I think coach Kill is right in one very important aspect of the turnaround process -- it will take more time than people think or want.

If someone would have said we are now showing signs of having a passing and running game, I would say I can see some of that. Is it satisfactory? I wouldn't go that far. Is it progress? Sure. Is it enough? No way. We have created some turnovers and some mayhem in the backfield -- yeah, sure. To what effect? Not sure that it was positive or negative. A simple answer would of course be yes. But, could we have been burned more often for trying to get turnovers? It is just as likely that we got burned for something as a result. What the unintended consequences are I don't know. These are the questions Gopher Hole decides.

Hats Off To Thee!

1. I believe the second derivative with respect to time is now positive. I think we can all agree on that. If we cannot, then OK. It is my opinion.

2. I don't know if the first derivative with respect to time is now positive. But I don't think you can say with certainty that it is still negative. Is it zero? If so, then we might have turned the corner.

3. I believe what we are witnessing is the seeds of our new coaching staff's system beginning to sprout. Please continue to add sunlight, good weather, water, and sufficient fertilizer. Pray that weed infestation, pests, and infectious disease don't ruin this young crop.

You are one odd duck.

Progress has been made. No doubt. What is in doubt is the ability of this board to accept the opinions of others who have doubted or made baseless predictions of coach Kill being the turnaround guy for Minnesota. There isn't enough evidence that we are turning the proverbial corner. Next year, we will have 3 new offensive linemen starting. We will have 2 new defensive linemen starting. It will be another year of struggle and change. I could not possibly at this point suggest the Gophers will rise in the standings or even look that much better in the early part of the season with any assurance it will occur. I think coach Kill is right in one very important aspect of the turnaround process -- it will take more time than people think or want.

If someone would have said we are now showing signs of having a passing and running game, I would say I can see some of that. Is it satisfactory? I wouldn't go that far. Is it progress? Sure. Is it enough? No way. We have created some turnovers and some mayhem in the backfield -- yeah, sure. To what effect? Not sure that it was positive or negative. A simple answer would of course be yes. But, could we have been burned more often for trying to get turnovers? It is just as likely that we got burned for something as a result. What the unintended consequences are I don't know. These are the questions Gopher Hole decides.

You're no different than the people you're pointing out here. You essentially talked like it was fact that Kill will fail and had totally lost the team.

what were they trying to do? please be specific

were they trying better to hit mcknight on an 8 yard stop and have him break 3 tackles and go all the way

was it grays leaping catch in the back of the endzone while being covered like a tree is with leaves

what was it you understood better?

The are moving Gray more and letting him be athletic and Claeys seems to be disguising his blitzes better and using them more effectively. Both Limegrover and Claeys appeared to be timid in the early going of the season. Claeys appeared to have the defense in react mode ala Cosgrove (who I didn't think was as bad as many in here) instead of going after the offense.

By the way, I don't think Gray caught a pass at the back of the end zone Saturday. May want to rewind that one.

I posted this in another thread. I think the offense if getting much better each week. However the defense has played well against each team that lines up with a pocket passer. Wilson moves pretty good, so we'll see how they do this week. I feel the true show of improvement on defense will be against Northwestern and Illinois mobile QB's.

There's still tons of room for doubt. That said, there's also plenty of room for optimism. The last thing the program needs right now is more doubters. Maybe Kill's in way over his head. Maybe he doesn't have what it takes to run a Big 10 program. But maybe he does. He's lost to NMSU and NDSU. That's beyond bad. He's also given a pair of Top 25 teams all they wanted on the road and beaten a rival in his first year. That's good. This team needs a "star". Gray certainly look the part more now than he did 6 weeks ago.

Most intelligent post in the thread.

You're no different than the people you're pointing out here. You essentially talked like it was fact that Kill will fail and had totally lost the team.

You are right. I said what I said. Some of the things I said have not proven to be correct. Is that different in your world? Or is this a moment where you want to just "call me out." God knows, that never happens around here either.

You are right. I said what I said. Some of the things I said have not proven to be correct. Is that different in your world?
You mean like Kill doesn't throw feces around at practice? When I read your posts all I can think about is how you come across as an arrogant prick.

If you don't want to continue to be called out, I suggest you change your sig.

I don't know what happened OOG, but this is the second well written post I've seen from you lately. I hope you keep going the "reasonably worded insight" route and stay away from the "rabid hyperbole" because what you just put up here is good.

I have not doubted Coach Kill and staff from day one. The last two weeks have just confirmed that they are the right staff for this job. People were upset that Kill was lowering expectations and beating down the players. However, they seem to be responding to the coaching. Kill has pretty much made it known that Gray is the best QB on the team. Shortell had to play due to cramping and injuries to Gray. Gray is proving Kill to be right again. Kill has also said that they have to back off and simplify for the players and they are playing better now.

Maybe it's my maroon and gold glasses, but almost everything coach Kill says seems to be true of become true. I will continue to believe in him and his staff.

Progress has been made. No doubt. What is in doubt is the ability of this board to accept the opinions of others who have doubted or made baseless predictions of coach Kill being the turnaround guy for Minnesota. There isn't enough evidence that we are turning the proverbial corner.

Good grief stop acting like someone who has been martyred. You got lit up because of the nasty, arrogant, and over the top tone of your posts--not because of some intolerance of folks who disagree. Talk about "baseless predictions." You ignored Kill's track record at other schools; you have little or no understanding of the dynamics of changing a culture of losing; you cherrypicked quotes out of the paper without acknowledging that maybe we as fans don't really know how players are being treated; and you pretty much disregarded factors like injuries, the seizure, coaches getting to know what players can do, and players trusting each other and their coaches.

All you've done since the Iowa game is post replies to try to establish some credibility around here. Why else all the multiple congratulations to Coach Kill? Although I'm sure each one has warmed Coach Kill's heart.

I should just ignore you but you're sort of irritating like a deer fly. Eventually, you've got to take a swipe although you know they'll be back.

FBT's got a great breakdown of the last 2 performances, basically our D isn't much better, but our O is and our D is making some more plays.

While some are still in wait and see mode, I kinda expected this, although I thought we'd win our NC games despite our struggles.
Basically I see it like this: Kill decided to try and play to the strengths of the team early in the season, make some adjustments he might not normally, cater to some players' strengths.
Result: not great, after NDSU I think he decided to pare everything down and stubbornly swallow the pain while building the way he truly wants to.

Result? Michigan and Purdue players got blown out while trying to execute small playbooks perfectly and do things they might not be accustomed to.

Nebraska after the bye we looked fresher on D, but still making too many mental mistakes, still a few flashes of good things as the team starts to execute.

Against Iowa a desperate team found it's confidence and was able to execute against a medicore D, got a few bounces, won a game. Now they are executing a few things correctly and gaining steam, my only concern is physically they are beat up due to the depth and youth we are playing. A bye right now would be great.

Bottom line: IMO Kill outstubborned the team and has taken hits while forcing them to play the style of football he wants, I expect a few hiccups as the team hardens and continues to learn, but if we remain competitive in our final 3 games the offseason will cure some ills.

Young kids get bigger, stronger, and smarter.

Recruits and redshirts bolster the depth going into the spring.

Coaches are able to scheme a bit more with the basic offense and defense in place.

Fall camp brings more bodies and a second year for alot of kids in the same system.

Win the games we should at home, play hard on the road against a tough slate and hope for a few breaks/breakout performances.

Good times on the horizon.

Many on the board have spoken of "Turning the Corner" the last few weeks. I feel that we are stuck in a maze and have been struggling since 1968 (43 years) to escape from that damn maze. Make no doubt about it, we are still trapped in that maze. That being said, I believe Coach Kill knows the way out of that maze and will do so given time and the support of Fans, Boosters, and the University Administration. When we emerge from the maze, and we will emerge from the maze, the sun will shine, the birds will sing, and our Gophers will begin pounding on the likes of Wisky, Iowa, Michigan, tOSU, Nebraska, MSU, Penn State, Illinois, Northwestern,,Indiana, Purdue, and anyone they might throw at us in a bowl game. There, that's about as sugar-coated as I can make it. I hope to still be alive to witness it.

Good grief stop acting like someone who has been martyred. You got lit up because of the nasty, arrogant, and over the top tone of your posts--not because of some intolerance of folks who disagree. Talk about "baseless predictions." You ignored Kill's track record at other schools; you have little or no understanding of the dynamics of changing a culture of losing; you cherrypicked quotes out of the paper without acknowledging that maybe we as fans don't really know how players are being treated; and you pretty much disregarded factors like injuries, the seizure, coaches getting to know what players can do, and players trusting each other and their coaches.

All you've done since the Iowa game is post replies to try to establish some credibility around here. Why else all the multiple congratulations to Coach Kill? Although I'm sure each one has warmed Coach Kill's heart.

I should just ignore you but you're sort of irritating like a deer fly. Eventually, you've got to take a swipe although you know they'll be back.

Are you the poster child for knowing the dynamics of change. I am waiting for your discussion of that.

I think Kill is the right man for the job. Having said that, I am concerned because I don't think we have seen steady improvement this year. What we have seen is two different teams. There is the team that showed up to play against USC, Iowa, and MSU, and there is the team that (mentally) wasn't even in the stadium. Any assertions that we don't have the talent to compete are borderline ridiculous given our performance against USC, Iowa, and MSU. The biggest problem for me is why we had to go on a six game hiatus to get back the same team that we had in week 1 against the Trojans.

Are you the poster child for knowing the dynamics of change. I am waiting for your discussion of that.

Having been through a couple of instances of it in athletics and in the service I know a hell of a lot more about it than you. Keep assuring us you're a semi-believer in Coach Kill. We really care.

Having been through a couple of instances of it in athletics and in the service I know a hell of a lot more about it than you. Keep assuring us you're a semi-believer in Coach Kill. We really care.

Sure.

Still think you can offer any counseling to Gopher fans? You claimed to miss Joe Salem playing football for the Gophers, but he not only played before you were born (why again is 49 old?) but as a backup. His total stats (http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/joe-salem-2.html) were 7 completions out of 13 attempts for 148 yards and a TD. He ran 22 times for 80 yards and two TD. You wouldn't even have known he existed had it not been for his time as HC here. Then there is your insistence a Kill is "poison" to this team. And your posting an article on mortality rates for seizures without understanding what you were reading. And your talking about expectancy theory without understanding what it means.

Still think you can offer any counseling to Gopher fans? You claimed to miss Joe Salem playing football for the Gophers, but he not only played before you were born (why again is 49 old?) but as a backup. His total stats (http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/joe-salem-2.html) were 7 completions out of 13 attempts for 148 yards and a TD. He ran 22 times for 80 yards and two TD. You wouldn't even have known he existed had it not been for his time as HC here. Then there is your insistence a Kill is "poison" to this team. And your posting an article on mortality rates for seizures without understanding what you were reading. And your talking about expectancy theory without understanding what it means.

You mean that virtually everything OOG has posted has been fraudulent? Why, I do declare!

Feel better?

Top Bottom