Will Johnson

Really would be great to get Johnson on board.
He would fit perfectly into the role that McGarry's playing this year, and would be a force on the edge once he fills out that frame.
Come on Will!

Boy I don't even know where to start with Houston Nutt. There was some sort of sex scandal I don't even care to look up. Something about text messages to a TV lady. Then he hired Mitch Mustain's high school head coach just to get the kid to sign there. Then he benched him for no reason at all in favor of one of the Cox kids - who both completely sucked. I'm pretty sure I watched most Razorback games that year and Mustain was easily the best QB as a true frosh. Then he Nutt alienated him to the point where he transferred.

Where is DeltaHog when you need him?

Only on GopherHole could a Will Johnson thread turn into a Houston Nutt sex scandal...

Boy I don't even know where to start with Houston Nutt. There was some sort of sex scandal I don't even care to look up. Something about text messages to a TV lady. Then he hired Mitch Mustain's high school head coach just to get the kid to sign there. Then he benched him for no reason at all in favor of one of the Cox kids - who both completely sucked. I'm pretty sure I watched most Razorback games that year and Mustain was easily the best QB as a true frosh. Then he Nutt alienated him to the point where he transferred.

Where is DeltaHog when you need him?

Here is what I remember and it was bizarre to say the least...

First off, Mitch Mustain was like Seantrel Henderson and Joe Mauer rolled into one for the people of Arkansas. He was considered a can't miss, blue chip type QB and people thought Arkansas HAD to land this kid. In order to do so, most people think that the Arkansas powers that be, and NOT Houston Nutt wanted him to sign Mitch Mustain's HS head coach as offensive coordinator.

While this sounds silly, it actually could have been a brilliant move. That HS coach is Gus Malzahn, the guy who was the OC at Auburn last year and now one of the brightest coaching candidates. He went to Arkansas and Mustain followed.

So, in 2006, Mustain and Malzahn came to Arkansas. However, Malzahn's offense was NEVER brought in. Nutt still relied on his power running attack (looked good that year with McFadden, Peyton Hillis and Felix Jones) and Malzahn's offense was never used with the exception of the wildcat formations on occasion.
Mustain took over for their starter after week 1, and went 8-0 as a starter. He wasn't great though. In the middle of a game, he was playing terrible and he was replaced by Casey Dick (So) who took over from there on. Dick wasn't much better than Mustain, in fact, they played pretty equally that season.

The season wore on, and Malzahn and Nutt were at eachother's throats for a variety of reasons. Eventually, Malzahn left to go become OC at Tulsa. Mustain trasferred to USC (along with Damien Williams who was a HS teammate of Mustain), and Houston Nutt left a year later.

The irony of the entire situation is that the most absurd thing in the ordeal, that Arkansas would bring on a HS coach as coordinator, could have been the best move they made if they would have let it play out. Even more ironic, most people believe that Malzahn is the leading candidate to replace Houston Nutt in Ole Miss.

The scandal (non-football) that you are talking about is that someone got Houston Nutt's cell phone record. They were able to get it because he is a state employee and through the freedom of information act. It detailed a bunch of strange things.

Here is a "best of" segment of Houston Nutt's cell phone records:

http://epaper.arkansasonline.com/Re...Path=ArDemocrat/2007/04/17&ID=Ar00102&Locale=

Highlights:
-Exchanged over 1000 texts with a TV reporter who was supposedly "friends" with him and his wife.

Top Bottom