Gopher history question

It is amazing how two announces with such differences in voice and style could extract so much love and devotion from so many fans for so many years. They both are truly institutions and are truly missed.

Son of a husker and a gopher so for a long time my household wasn't stressed typically in college football matters. Grew up in St. Paul though and found myself going to basketball and hockey games more at first but eventually started tuning in for football on Saturdays. I can't quite pin it down but in the 90s I got hooked. The most satisfying moments I can recall were '05 Michigan when Russell beasted the whole Michigan defense to get the jug, (first time we had held it since I was living) and '03 seeing us take the axe back on Lloyd's FG. With the darkest moment being Michigan in that same year of course.

When Nebraska announced plans to enter the B1G there was no doubt in my mind whom my squad would be. Even though I had attended more games at UNL (dad's family is from Lincoln and grandparents still live there) I was committed to the Gophs 100%. No interest in anyone else now, even with the change of scenery in my new locale. I can't wait for the day we march on Pasadena, and I'm willing to endure all the hardship, disappointment, and waiting that comes with it. Because when that day comes and I sit in my seat watching the sun set on the San Gabriel mountains, I know it will all come full circle for me.

Ski-U-Mah boys, Beat Wisconsin!

I guess I'm more new school. I fell in love with the Gophers during the Glen Mason era with my favorite memories being of Mason's power running / vertical passing offense featuring Marion Barber and Lawrence Maroney.

I was born in Minnesota so I bleed maroon and gold. I also had the honor of listening to my dad talk about Sandy, Carl, and Bronko! Memorial stadium being outside and watching the boys play their hearts out for the U!

New school here also. Laurence Maroney, MBIII, and Brian Cupito!! They started it all for me

Being from Chicago and not really paying attention to the Gophers before I started looking at colleges, I think it would be the 2005 Gary Russell game against Michigan (the Axe game that year never happened). It was my senior year of High School and I either just had gotten accepted or was waiting to get accepted. That was so awesome and got me really excited for my next 4 years of football futility....

This is without a doubt a no brainer for me. Throughout the years players have come and gone, but the memories of the voices of Julius Pearlt and Ray Christiansen have turned my blood to maroon and gold forever.

There was nothing better than Julius. I can still here him say:

Here are some Big ten scores:

iowa 3 Michigan 28

wisconsin 3 (and then he would wait) Northwestern 48

It was GREAT!

Growing up in rural Minnesota my first exposure to Gopher Football was watching highlights on Saturday evening on a black and white tv. On game days I'd take a battery operated radio in the backyard and pretend I was Paul Rogund kicking field goals over hand-made goal posts made out of tree branches as I listened to the play by play. I was only about 10-12 years old but I was hooked. Other notable players who are memorable in this era for me: Mark Carlson, Marion Barber, Garry White, Jim Fahnhorst, Elmer Bailey, Ken Dallafior, etc...

Top Bottom