Gopher history question

I started following the Gophers in 1955; however, I became a full-fledged fan in 1956, when the Gophers fell short of going to the Rose Bowl with a 6-1-2 record. The loss was to the Hawkeyes, 7-0. (That's why the Hawks are a big rival for me, plus the fact that I reside in Iowa. Last week's win was a big one!) Minnesota had multiple turnovers in the loss to the Hawkeyes. Iowa went on to pummel Oregon State in the January 1 classic. I had a lot of football heroes on the 1956 team: Dick Borstad (fullback and placekicker from my hometown of Detroit Lakes); Bobby Cox, qb; Bob Hobert, tackle; Jon Jelacic, line; Dean Maas, line; Perry Gehring, receiver; Frank Youso, tackle; and others.

Go Gophers!!

When I was a kid, I would spend time looking at my dad's program from the 1962 Rose Bowl. I would also listen to my dad tell me how he was there at the 1940 Michigan game where Bruce Smith went 80 yards to beat Tommy Harmon and the Wolverines.

Because of that, I looked forward to the day I could see the Gophers at the Rose Bowl. I didn't think I would be waiting 40+ years. I want the Rose Bowl so bad that when I fantasize about a great Gopher season, I always work in one loss so that they don't get stuck at the BCS championship. I know that's wierd, but hey, I want to see them in Pasadena!

When I was a kid, I would spend time looking at my dad's program from the 1962 Rose Bowl. I would also listen to my dad tell me how he was there at the 1940 Michigan game where Bruce Smith went 80 yards to beat Tommy Harmon and the Wolverines.

Because of that, I looked forward to the day I could see the Gophers at the Rose Bowl. I didn't think I would be waiting 40+ years. I want the Rose Bowl so bad that when I fantasize about a great Gopher season, I always work in one loss so that they don't get stuck at the BCS championship. I know that's wierd, but hey, I want to see them in Pasadena!

I'm enjoying all of these but this one is my favorite so far. Well said.

I was born and raised in western MN and a Gopher fan ever since. Used to read the peach colored sports pages in the old Mpls Star. I can remember when they announced that Bruce Smith had won the Heisman trophy, I would have been 10 at the time. I've since lived in WI much longer than I ever lived in MN but I'll always be a Gopher fan in all sports but especially football. I was at the two games they won this year. Very excited about the possibilities with Kill as the coach.

Stories.

First I'll tell you, I was a fan of Tyrone Carter, Thomas Hamner, Ron Johnson, Billy Cockerham, Ben Hamilton, and Dan Nystrom in 1999. That was the year that turned me into a fan. That team had players that maybe were not super-freak athletes, but guys that tried so hard to play their best and gut out the win, and often-times got it. After that season I was hooked by the gophers and college football.

I am in my mid-twenties, and I followed gopher-sports since about 10 years old. I used to love gophers basketball. Clem Haskins put some awesome teams together, and I used to love watching the stuff. I also used to love going to see Gophers Baseball. I used to go to elementary school at Tuttle, so after school me and my brother would goto the gopher baseball games at Seibert field.

I remember once we were down big in a baseball game, so me and my brother started exploring. We were maybe about 12 and 9 at the time, give or take a year. I think it was the spring of 1997. Anyway we went behind the bleachers and started walking around the facilities near the Baseball field. There was tons of cool practice equipmentm just lying around and we started playing with it. If we were adults we would look pretty stupid and probably get security called after us. But we were just kids being kids, and having fun doing it.

Anyways, while playing and exploring outside the Baseball Field, but still inside the University Athletic Grounds, we actually ran into a Spring Football Practice. I realized then that we probably strayed too far from the game we were supposed to be watching with our Dad, but also was mesmerized at how I just walked into something so cool. One of the assistant coaches saw us, was a bit surprised, and asked us what we were doing there.

At this point my brother kinda ran back to where we came from, as he thought we were in trouble, and I just said, "We were watching the baseball game and got bored and wanted to play." he told me "Well, you'd better get back, your friend is gonna leave you here."

I took the advice and ran back to the Baseball game. And never told my dad what happened fearing I would be in trouble.

Anyways, just thought I'd share that.

I watch the Gophers now because I love the team. They keep me connected with home. I live in Beijing now, and woke up with a nasty cough and stuffed head. I drank a glass (big one) of Brandy and hot water to relax and take the cough away. Stumbled upon this thread and thought I'd share a memory with you.

Sorry if I bored anyone. It's 5am and I am half sick, half drunk, and feeling nostalgic.

GO Gophers!
If you beat MSU I might get cured!

IT'S NOT WEIRD.:clap:

First I'll tell you, I was a fan of Tyrone Carter, Thomas Hamner, Ron Johnson, Billy Cockerham, Ben Hamilton, and Dan Nystrom in 1999. That was the year that turned me into a fan. That team had players that maybe were not super-freak athletes, but guys that tried so hard to play their best and gut out the win, and often-times got it. After that season I was hooked by the gophers and college football.

I am in my mid-twenties, and I followed gopher-sports since about 10 years old. I used to love gophers basketball. Clem Haskins put some awesome teams together, and I used to love watching the stuff. I also used to love going to see Gophers Baseball. I used to go to elementary school at Tuttle, so after school me and my brother would goto the gopher baseball games at Seibert field.

I remember once we were down big in a baseball game, so me and my brother started exploring. We were maybe about 12 and 9 at the time, give or take a year. I think it was the spring of 1997. Anyway we went behind the bleachers and started walking around the facilities near the Baseball field. There was tons of cool practice equipmentm just lying around and we started playing with it. If we were adults we would look pretty stupid and probably get security called after us. But we were just kids being kids, and having fun doing it.

Anyways, while playing and exploring outside the Baseball Field, but still inside the University Athletic Grounds, we actually ran into a Spring Football Practice. I realized then that we probably strayed too far from the game we were supposed to be watching with our Dad, but also was mesmerized at how I just walked into something so cool. One of the assistant coaches saw us, was a bit surprised, and asked us what we were doing there.

At this point my brother kinda ran back to where we came from, as he thought we were in trouble, and I just said, "We were watching the baseball game and got bored and wanted to play." he told me "Well, you'd better get back, your friend is gonna leave you here."

I took the advice and ran back to the Baseball game. And never told my dad what happened fearing I would be in trouble.

Anyways, just thought I'd share that.

I watch the Gophers now because I love the team. They keep me connected with home. I live in Beijing now, and woke up with a nasty cough and stuffed head. I drank a glass (big one) of Brandy and hot water to relax and take the cough away. Stumbled upon this thread and thought I'd share a memory with you.

Sorry if I bored anyone. It's 5am and I am half sick, half drunk, and feeling nostalgic.

GO Gophers!
If you beat MSU I might get cured!
Son?

19, thank you for thinking of me. But in all honesty, Bronko was before my time...however, I will never forget...Memorial Stadium, Sandy Stephens, Judge Dickson, Bill Munsey, Carl Eller, Bobby Bell, Julian Hook, Coach Warmath, et.al.

Dean Martin sang this as a love song...but for me, "Memories are Made This" is made for us old timers who saw real football:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MWN_duZfIs

Just checking to see if you were paying attention.

BTW Bruce Smith was before my time also. though I did stub my toe on that damn Heisman Trophy a few times.

Having student tickets for the great teams in the '60s would have done it, but it was really my dad taking me to see the great "49ers" team with Nomellini, Tonnemaker, Bud Grant, Gordy Soltau - coached by Bierman - that did it. Though a little kid, I began listening to away games on the radio and was hooked for life, despite living away from Minnesota most of my adult life.

September 28,1985, Oklahoma vs. Minnesota at the Metrodome.

It was more a coach than any one single player that made me a hopeless and diehard Gopher fan for life, and that coach was of course one Lou Holtz, and the one game which captured perfectly those feelings of pride and hope and belief he was able to revive in Minnesota football was our game against Oklahoma in 1985. The Sooners with Troy Aikman at QB came into the game ranked #1 in the land, and we were HUGE underdogs at home. The game was a nighttime broadcast that was nationally televised on WTBS (which was a pretty big deal back then, because of how few regular season college football games were nationally broadcast back then as compared to now, and especially at night), and I remember sitting as a kid at home and watching it on TV, and how the Dome was rocking so loudly throughout the game that the TV cameras were literally shaking due to all the noise, and oh my word how our team did come out to play. I have never in my lifetime seen a Gophers team play harder, nor seen a Gophers defense play more fiercely or hit harder than they did that night. We were *so* outmanned by them physically and athletically ( with a TON of those Sooners later going on to play in the NFL, with star players like Bosworth, Casillas, Hutson, and on and on and on), that by all logic that game should have been a Sooner rout, but it wasn't. We stood right there and traded blows with them toe to toe, and our defense knocked multiple Sooners out of the game, including their All-American tailback Spencer Tillman, their All-American FB Lydell Carr, and their All-American TE, Keith Jackson. Like I say, I've never seen a Gophers defense in any iteration play more ruggedly than those boys played that night.

It was a loss, 13-7, and I do find it highly ironic that what I consider the greatest Gophers game I've seen in my lifetime resulted in a loss, but it was just an incredible game against the team who came into that game ranked #1 and closed out that season ranked #1 and winning the National Championship- and it was especially incredible given the dark place from which we'd come, with the 84-13 humiliation against Nebraska having taken place just two short years prior. And truly remarkable that the game came down to the very final play, and how Foggie did drive us down the field in desperation mode, and had a very realistic shot to win it at the end with a 40+ throw into the end zone, but Boomer Sooner broke up the pass in the end zone as the clock ticked to 00:00.

Just an amazing game, and I've never felt more proud of a Gophers team than I felt that night.

10/22/94 Madison Wisconsin
Had always liked the gophers growing up. I grew up in a house divided on the wrong side of the river. (My mom is a UW graduate) I didn't have a deep hatred towards Bucky yet, in fact would even root for them when they weren't playing the gophers. A few older guys from my High School had played at UW. I went to the game as a 14 year old wearing gopher stuff with just a friend. His parents were seated in a different section and had never been to a game down there before so they didn't know what to expect. This was a big deal because this was the first time I got to sit by myself. The Gophers ended up winning 17-14, Tutu Atwelll and Ryan Thelwell were awesome that day. As we were leaving the stadium just trying to meet up with his parents we had a couple of toothless drunk students (prolly from Nekoosa or some other little redneck town over here) come up and shove us to the ground and spit on us. That made my decision in a hurry. I have been to a total of 16 Div 1 stadiums and countless smaller college stadiums both as a player(D2), fan, and neutral observer but the way that I was treated that day made my allegiance very easy to choose from the point forward. I have been down there 6 times since and every time have had an issue with some overweight kraut smelling student. That ended last year where I stayed off of State street and actually had a pretty good time.

Ricky Foggie back in '85, the first year I paid any attention. Then in '86 I remember listening to Darrell Thompson run for 205 yards against Bowling Green as a freshman - I listened on CCO as my uncle and I drove home to the Cities after fishing at Lake Osakis. I lived and died with old Darrell for the next four years.

Been obsessed with Gophers football ever since.

Listening to the Michigan upset in '77 while playing in leaves in my yard. (I was 10). I'll never forget that. My older brother was explaining the significance of it as we listened, and I've been a Gopher fan ever since.

Foggie, the Lohmiller kick at Mich and Darrell Thompson. But what really did it? I am somewhat ashamed to admit that it was when Lou Holtz left and the wounded Minnesota pride I had that turned me into the "us vs. the world" philosophy. I remember buying a button the next year saying "I cheer for the Gophers and Anyone Playing Notre Dame." Of course, I was 11-12 so there is some excuse for this ... but I've stuck with the Gophs since even though not an alum.

My fam is all from Toledo, so I grew up an Ohio State fan. And not the "good" Ohio State, either. The "loses to Michigan 10 years in a row" kind.

I wanted out of my hometown in a bad way in highschool and fell in love with campus when I toured in my senior year. I cancelled all my other tours and became a Gopher immediately.

On campus that fall (1999), I didn't realize I was catching on at the right time: end of a 13 season bowl-less streak. Mason had 3 seasons to build us up to respectability. Tyrone Carter, Thomas Hamner and yes, Billy Cockerham helped us to an 8-4 mark and a Sun Bowl berth. The highlight? Beating #2 PSU in Happy Valley. I maintain I'll name my first kid after Dan Nystrom! :)

My fam is all from Toledo, so I grew up an Ohio State fan. And not the "good" Ohio State, either. The "loses to Michigan 10 years in a row" kind.

I wanted out of my hometown in a bad way in highschool and fell in love with campus when I toured in my senior year. I cancelled all my other tours and became a Gopher immediately.

On campus that fall (1999), I didn't realize I was catching on at the right time: end of a 13 season bowl-less streak. Mason had 3 seasons to build us up to respectability. Tyrone Carter, Thomas Hamner and yes, Billy Cockerham helped us to an 8-4 mark and a Sun Bowl berth. The highlight? Beating #2 PSU in Happy Valley. I maintain I'll name my first kid after Dan Nystrom! :)

Are you still a Mudhen fan?

When I was a little kid I thought I had it in me to be a quarterback. That was before anyone explained that there were requisite physical skills. Bobby Cox sort of lured me in the door, but he sprained his ankle and broke my heart. Sandy Stephens, on the other hand, was a lasting obsession. Years later I had him mounted on my office window. First time visitors would instinctively duck when entering.

IMG_2897 (Small).JPG

I grew up on a farm in rural Minnesota. Saturday afternoons in our family always were Gopher FB on the radio (1:00 starts). My first game on TV was the 1961 Rose Bowl in front of course a black and white TV. My first live game was the 1967 Michigan game which we won 20 to 15. So many great players on that team but my favorite was Tom Sakal who played DB. Next game was USC (OJ) the next year and like a previous poster I remember the KO return for a TD. I attended the U and spent every home Sat. partying in Memorial Stadium. We have been current season ticket holders for the last ten years. It does get in your blood.

Gopher memory!.....................

My dad drove me up to a game in 1970. The Gophers played Kansas. Craig Curry was the Gopher QB & Kansas had a guy named David Jaynes. Gophers lost that game but it didn't matter. I was hooked from that day on. :clap::pig:

great thread, great comments!

My dad was a season ticket holder for the football and basketball teams around the mid 90's to the 2000's, witnessed Tu Tu, Linebacker from Zumbrota (forget his name), Carter, and many more. Im in my mid 20's, and for some reason am always looking to get more info on the gophers, football in particular. Its an obsession I have, its a better addiction than coke no doubt. Have been some difficult years, but I love to follow a something that is bigger than one person, its about supporting our roots and our way of life and our society more than anything. No matter how bad we get I will continue to support our state team.

11-12-1966, against Purdue.
My first game at Memorial Stadium... It was an average season, & they lost the game to Purdue 16-0, but I was hooked.
Bob Griese was the Purdue quarterback, & he was runner-up to Steve Spurrier for the Heisman that year.
The next year in 1967, the Gophers were Big Ten co-champions, the last title for Minnesota.
Been a die-hard fan since that day so long ago.

11-12-1966, against Purdue.
My first game at Memorial Stadium... It was an average season, & they lost the game to Purdue 16-0, but I was hooked.
Bob Griese was the Purdue quarterback, & he was runner-up to Steve Spurrier for the Heisman that year.
The next year in 1967, the Gophers were Big Ten co-champions, the last title for Minnesota.
Been a die-hard fan since that day so long ago.

I was at that game also. Sat in the bleachers end zone. At game with my high school football team/lettermens club.

The "Bowl" end zone? That was a great game for Dr. Mckinley Boston at Defensive Tackle

Thanks for all the responses guys. I got my first season tickets in 1969 after coming home from Viet Nam. almost all the players mentioned by others jogged the old brain and brought memories back. I have seen a lot of really bad football, BUT I have also seen some awesome games and players. Thanks again for the memory bumps. GO GOPHERS

The "Bowl" end zone? That was a great game for Dr. Mckinley Boston at Defensive Tackle

Who later went on to serve on the ncaa committe to oversee committees

BTW Sophie is a he

It's hard for me to pinpoint exactly, but I think I'd actually say it's the infamous blown 31-0 lead to Ohio State for me!

I grew up a pro sports fan and while I was certainly aware of the Gophers, I didn't follow them closely. During my senior year of high school (and after I had already been accepted to the U for the following year) my uncle took me to see the Gophers play Illinois. It was a game that most expected the Gophers to lose, but they managed a 27-27 tie (hence my username) in what was, I believe, the last tie game the program has ever had.

The following fall, I bought season tickets and was enjoying them, but during the Ohio State game, with about a minute to play, an obnoxious OSU fan wandered into the student section to gloat. When the Gophers almost scored the game winning TD at the end, I was surprised at how big a deal it would have been for me if that pass had been caught. I was now a college sports fan much more than the pros. I wouldn't ever be able to care that much about a Vikings game.

This is without a doubt a no brainer for me. Throughout the years players have come and gone, but the memories of the voices of Julius Pearlt and Ray Christiansen have turned my blood to maroon and gold forever.

This is without a doubt a no brainer for me. Throughout the years players have come and gone, but the memories of the voices of Julius Pearlt and Ray Christiansen have turned my blood to maroon and gold forever.

I remember many fall Sat afternoons listening to Ray Christianson(cco am) on the golf course. Seemed like every other foursome/group had a radio with the Gopher brodacast. The groups that didn't have a radio would 'swing by' every couple of holes to get an update. I remember this mostly during the 60s, 70s, and 80s.

I remember being on the back nine at AGC and listening to Ray describe carries number 54,55,56 and 57 for Kent Kitzman.

Top Bottom