MN Daily: Tubby: Team is "best shooting group" he's seen at Minnesota

That part about Mo Walker is pretty misleading.

Why do you say that. Marcus echoed the same thing.

GophersNow PiPress Gophers Now
Ingram and Eliason are practicing after dealing with hip and ankle injuries, respectively. Walker has a sore knee.

GophersNow PiPress Gophers Now
Walker is still out for a while, Tubby said. He wasn't specific. His mother was in town recently.

Let's hope this actually bears itself out. I felt like this team had guys who are potentially strong perimeter shooters, but you never know until the lights come on and they do it for real.

This is exciting to hear. It is good to see how upbeat Tubby is about this squad right now. That and the idea that he wants to play more uptempo is pretty fun to think about.

Tubby:" I don't see any issues with the outside shooting at all"

IALTO! :clap:

I am surprised that Tubby listed Joe Coleman as an outside threat. Joe is definately a scorer, but his outside shot has not been a strong point. It would certainly be great news if Joe is hitting his outside jumper consistently.

Why do you say that. Marcus echoed the same thing.

Not saying he will be back tomorrow or anything like that, but he tore his PCL, not his ACL, and maybe it was just me who read it this way, but to me it made it sound like his "ACL" was still torn.

Edit: Looks like they realized it was confusing and changed it, although it still says ACL.

Edit again: Looks like they edited it again. They must be reading GopherHole ha.

this year's outside shooting

Ron Wolff and Ted Thompson of GB follow a simple but powerful rule when evaluating talent for the NFL--believe what you see, not what you hear. Let's watch a few games before making any pronouncements. I'm deeply skeptical of Coleman's ability to shoot from the outside. However, what little we saw of Mo Walker last year was that he was not afraid to take the outside shot and was actually pretty good at it--a big bonus it he gets healthy.

Let me amend that: Believe what you see, not what you hear from Tubby. I'm paraphrasing, so don't jump on me Tubby defenders, last year year he said that Austin Hollins was one of the best freshman that he had ever recruited. After four seasons I think the pattern is that when Tubby pumps something up to the media, that's an indication that he is concerned.

Unlike most seasons, I have no clue or expectations about this team because there are so many new faces. I have a pretty good idea of what the returning players can do, always expecting a big jump between the first and second year. The videos of the new players look impressive. Could be a lot of fun. It's basketball! My favorite sport.

Going in to the season, my two biggest concerns are PG play and outside shooting. Good to hear Tubby speaking to the shooting issue ( and the PG issue to some extent in past articles).

I'm still not convinced we'll be a great shooting team but am waiting to be happily surprised.

Let me amend that: Believe what you see, not what you hear from Tubby. I'm paraphrasing, so don't jump on me Tubby defenders, last year year he said that Austin Hollins was one of the best freshman that he had ever recruited. After four seasons I think the pattern is that when Tubby pumps something up to the media, that's an indication that he is concerned.

Unlike most seasons, I have no clue or expectations about this team because there are so many new faces. I have a pretty good idea of what the returning players can do, always expecting a big jump between the first and second year. The videos of the new players look impressive. Could be a lot of fun. It's basketball! My favorite sport.

Not jumping on you, but I don't remember him saying that. I remember him saying possibly the most mature and might have even said one of the best work ethics/attitudes. Did he really say best overall?

I would be shocked if that statement is accurate. I'm pretty sure we led the BT in 3pt shooting a few yrs ago. Last yr we were the worst and we lost our best 3pt shoot ever. I must say, Tubby is pretty good at hyping up his players before the season.

I would be shocked if that statement is accurate. I'm pretty sure we led the BT in 3pt shooting a few yrs ago. Last yr we were the worst and we lost our best 3pt shoot ever. I must say, Tubby is pretty good at hyping up his players before the season.

Actually we were 10th, Iowa was last at 31.4%, but at that point, who cares lol. Here are the numbers from Tubby's tenure here with conference rank:

'07-'08: 37.2% (2nd)
'08-'09: 32.7% (11th)
'09-'10: 40.3% (1st)
'10-'11: 32.1% (10th)

So basically, we're up or down, and what's easily seen is that one year definitely has little to do with the next. If the trend holds, we should be in the top 2 then, right? :) But chances are, we aren't going 40% from deep this year. But that doesn't mean as a collection of guys, it's not the best group, meaning more guys can hit the shot, maybe.

Unfortunately, the memory of Tubby's pronouncements on Mav still are fresh. I've seen Joe Coleman shoot the ball quite a bit, and I can't see him being a reliable outside threat this year. I actually believe that Rodney will shoot a better percentage from three this year than Coleman. However, I think Oto will be a very good shooter for us, based on what I've seen, with Andre also able to contribute (somewhat streakily). If Welch can shoot it, we should be fine. I still can't understand what happened to Austin. His shot just totally disappeared.

jmag21 said:
I actually believe that Rodney will shoot a better percentage from three this year than Coleman.

Do you really think Coleman will shoot sub 20%? Jk - but seriously, if Coleman shoots worse than RW he'll have a pretty bad year from long range. Love Rodney's D and athleticism, but he is not a good shooter to say the least.

Do you really think Coleman will shoot sub 20%? Jk - but seriously, if Coleman shoots worse than RW he'll have a pretty bad year from long range. Love Rodney's D and athleticism, but he is not a good shooter to say the least.

I think Joe will shoot 32-35%, he can get hot & he's a much better shooter than Rodney. Love his D? Tubby has said several times that Rodney needs to get better defensively, I agree.
____

"We've got four shooters that we didn't have last year, period," Smith said.

One of them is Oto Osenieks, a 6-foot-8 forward who redshirted last year. Osenieks, originally from Riga, Latvia, graduated from Brehm Prep in Carbondale, Ill. While he didn't play last year during his redshirt season, he has shown Smith that he has range for a big man.

"We've got a lot of 3-point shooters that can help this year," said sophomore guard Maverick Ahanmisi. "The past couple practices, Oto's been knocking them down."

"That's a big part of my game. I like shooting," Osenieks said. "I like helping my teammates get open, so I can stretch the floor and give me an open shot or my teammate."

Osenieks said he's comfortable play a number of positions, from shooting guard to small forward to power forward. His size and shooting ability make him versatile and presents challenges for opposing defenses.

"It'll help because he can set pick and rolls and he can pop, so that's going to be confusion for the other teams," Ahanmisi said.

http://www.foxsportsnorth.com/10/24/11/Gophers-hope-to-display-stellar-marksman/landing_gophers.html?blockID=588976&feedID=3590

Going in to the season, my two biggest concerns are PG play and outside shooting. Good to hear Tubby speaking to the shooting issue ( and the PG issue to some extent in past articles).

I'm still not convinced we'll be a great shooting team but am waiting to be happily surprised.

Not to engage in superfluous self-linkage, but I looked at this and it seems we don't need to be good, but do need to avoid being awful.

http://fromthebarn.org/2011/10/09/living-and-more-recently-dying-by-the-three/

Just having Nolen gone improves your shooting. Just think if our pg could actually be a scoring threat? What would defenses do?

What about RSIII? He can really shoot and I hope the Tubster gives him the go ahead to do so. I remember Bill Lamberr driving defnses nuts with his outside shooting. If Ralph can bring his dfender out it could open the post for Trevor to grab a huge % of misses.

What about RSIII? He can really shoot and I hope the Tubster gives him the go ahead to do so. I remember Bill Lamberr driving defnses nuts with his outside shooting. If Ralph can bring his dfender out it could open the post for Trevor to grab a huge % of misses.

An RSIII and Bill Lambeer comparison. Now THAT is funny.

Top Bottom