Rule changes

#2Gopher

Reaction score
Personally I would like to see the following rule changes made in the future.
1) Holding penalities etc., not from spot, but from line of scrimage (1st and two?)
2) Can't forward a fumble, goes back to where it was fumbled or thrown
3) Keep the play going despite not being touched and you have fallen or whaterver
4) Keep clock going following a 1st down

I'm open to discussion as to why rules are made a certain way.

1) Holding penalities etc., not from spot, but from line of scrimage (1st and two?)
3) Keep the play going despite not being touched and you have fallen or whaterver
I agree 100%. I love football and college football, but there are times I feel like it is a marathon game. I wouldn't mind if they did something like last 5 minutes of half/game stop clock on first down, but the game as a whole needs to pick up.

I didn't quite understand how the 1st and 2 came about, what exactly happened there?

I agree 100%. I love football and college football, but there are times I feel like it is a marathon game. I wouldn't mind if they did something like last 5 minutes of half/game stop clock on first down, but the game as a whole needs to pick up.

Stop the clock when you go out of bounds.

I didn't quite understand how the 1st and 2 came about, what exactly happened there?

The holding happened down field. Generally you see holding called around the line of scrimmage, so it's just 10 yards back. But when it happens down field, it's 10 yards from the spot of the penalty. In this case, the penalty was committed 18 yards down field.

I don't see a problem with that rule. If a RB has an 80-yard run and someone is called for a holding call just before the player scores at the 5-yard line, should the entire play be brought back? No it should be 10 yards from the spot of the foul.

The only one of the four I would change is #4. Keep the clock going on 1st downs, except under 2 minutes in the first half and under 5 minutes at the end of the game.

The only one of the four I would change is #4. Keep the clock going on 1st downs, except under 2 minutes in the first half and under 5 minutes at the end of the game.

Disagree. Drives me nuts watching an NFL game when both teams are lined up, the clock is running, and everyone is waiting for a couple of fat guys with sticks.

If you want to save some time, how about this: Following a review, instead of walking to the center of the field, turning on the mic and saying "Upon further video review, it was determined that the receiver actually caught the ball, his left foot landed in bounds, within the field of play, the call on field is confirmed".

How about you just give the first down sign, or the incomplete sign.

Also, don't give me a break down (especially in the NFL) about what is being reviewed. We're watching the game, we know why it's being reviewed.

Disagree. Drives me nuts watching an NFL game when both teams are lined up, the clock is running, and everyone is waiting for a couple of fat guys with sticks.

They don't wait for the sticks in the NFL. The only waiting is due to the offense subbing players and the allowance for the defense to match up.

That is CRAZY talk. That's one of the best aspects of the college game. You get so much more football, which leads to a much more wide open game.

More comebacks, more ebb and flow, more drama.

The NFL game feels horribly short in comparison. Why would you want less football?

The holding happened down field. Generally you see holding called around the line of scrimmage, so it's just 10 yards back. But when it happens down field, it's 10 yards from the spot of the penalty. In this case, the penalty was committed 18 yards down field.

So they had a net gain of 8 yards, that being 18 minus 10 for holding, and it remained first down? Did the play occur on first down?

So only 2 people want to change the rule of the ball is spotted on a dropped backward pass where it goes out of bounds? Ridiculous.

IIRC, Unless the clock was stopped on the previous play (and for it to be a 1st down conversion, this would typically mean out of bounds), the clock is stopped only long enough to allow the refs to move the chains and put the ball into play.

As to games being too long, I personally don't find the playing portion too long, but the commercial breaks are FOREVER - especially live. There's nothing we can do about that.

So only 2 people want to change the rule of the ball is spotted on a dropped backward pass where it goes out of bounds? Ridiculous.

The only way to change that rule is to have the ball go back to the line of scrimmage if it goes forward out of bounds. What do you do if it happens 20 yards down field? It is not a fumble, it is a backwards pass. It's a fluke play that rarely happens and hard to pull off purposely. The differentiating between fumble and backwards pass is key when penalties and enforcement come into play.

Top Bottom