Chip Scoggins column: Undo bad fit -- bid farewell to Maturi

Fair and balanced.

President Kaler can make his move to secure his own AD anytime now.

What specifically would/could Joel Maturi's successor do to improve football? How? By When?

new head coach? nope...just got one of those...

new stadium? nope...just got one of those...

more $ for assistants? nope...they're getting more than they ever dreamed...

upgraded weight room/facilities? nope...just got that done...

a balanced Athletic Dep't budget? nope...currently running a surplus, thanks to the BTN cash, among other things...

a better cheerleader for the entire program? nope, no one will out-do Joel in this regard...

a pound of flesh for a bitter, frustrated, noisy few? hey, yeah, that's it! :rolleyes:

Well, a new AD could try to improve gameday experience. That's all I got.

What specifically would/could Joel Maturi's successor do to improve football? How? By When?

a balanced Athletic Dep't budget? nope...currently running a surplus, thanks to the BTN cash, among other things...

a better cheerleader for the entire program? nope, no one will out-do Joel in this regard...

a pound of flesh for a bitter, frustrated, noisy few? hey, yeah, that's it! :rolleyes:
The successor would be a winner in my book with an attitude the exact opposite of your narrow mindedness.

Come on. I've defended Maturi as much as anyone, but this article was fair, balanced, and right on. It's the perfect time. Just hope the haters acknowledge the positive things Scoggins noted about the man.

Just hope the haters acknowledge the positive things Scoggins noted about the man.

+1

We need to rid the negative energy around this program. Maturi needs to go!

I look at this like the Mason firing. I was fine with firing Mason. But we had to make certain we had an upgrade as a replacement.

As much as I think Maturi should go, I very much worry about who might follow him.

He f**ked up big time hiring Brewster and he should be fired for it plain and simple. What other job could you have where you screw up that badly and expect to keep your job?

Mick Turition said:
He f**ked up big time hiring Brewster and he should be fired for it plain and simple. What other job could you have where you screw up that badly and expect to keep your job?

I completely agree yet I almost fear who they might bring in to replace him more than keeping him on until they pinpoint a strong replacement.

I guess I don't get why so much of this focuses on Tim Brewster. The guy went 3-5 in the Big Ten in years 2 and 3 after taking over a bare cupboard of recruiting classes that all ranked 9th or worse in the Big Ten. I believe the only players from his inherited roster to currently play in the NFL are Eric Decker, who wasn't established when Brewster took over, and Dom Barber. To repeat Jerry Kill's talking points that benefit his current tenure does not add credibility to the article. Scoggins seemed more interested in taking shots at Brewster than at Maturi which boggles my mind.

There are so many more reasons to split with Maturi that don't even get mentioned:

- No success in football or basketball during his tenure
-"I am not going to go there" Dan Monson
- Indecisiveness with contract situations in both major sports a pattern of extending then firing
- Talking big about who he'd get to replace Tim Brewster, then falling on his face both during the search and afterwards in his explanation

What's that crap about not being able to sell out TCF without help from the opposition? According to highwayman, the stadium is sold out with Gopher ticket holders.

Yes, maturi is responsible for a lot of the B.S. at the U, but the administration and liberal weenies in the administration have
been a huge issue for this school for a long time. I can't remember all the articles I've read over the years from Sid & friends
@ the strib regarding the lack of support for athletics in general. "We are a academic institution first" blau, blau, blau...
It's simple, if the U of M wants to succeed, the administration has to continually and emphatically push the football program!

What comes from a great football program? Money!!! Alumni money, Business money, tax payer support for other services etc...

eg9: brewster is the REASON this program IS where it IS. However, the reason we ever had a totally incompetent person incapable of being a coach is because prexy b and badger joel macturi hired him. They are ultimately to blame for the total destruction of Gopher football in this 2011 season.

But, make NO mistake eg9: that brewster clown was a total waste. He went 3-5 two years and collapsed both years? Well big whoop eg9. He HAD to be releived of his duties mid-season he was SO incompetent. There are 63 players that he recruited and brought to Minnesota that have to be herded off to their classes or they won't go. What was that brewster clown doing eg9?????

That brewster clown, prexy b and bjm are all joined at the hip in terms of pretty much destroying ANY benefit the new stadium may have had. All three of them should hang their collective heads in SHAME about the way they wasted the most valuable resource this football program had been given since the construction of MEMORIAL STADIUM on the East Bank of the Univerity of Minnesota Campus. And those three dirt-bags totally wasted the "honeymoon years" that the campus stadium was supposed to have brought this football program. They threw the first three years in this stadium into the crapper with their inept handling of ALL situations with the Football Program.

That's the deal about your boy brewster eg9. He was a monumental FAILURE from day one, after being brought here by prexy b and badger joel macturi. And the three of them have totally negated all of the good that TCF BANK STADIUM was supposed to have given this football program. The three of them will VERY soon all be gone.

Is the "macturi" cheer ready to go student section? It is time to begin the macturi beat down starting this Saturday. For what he has done to this football program, bjm MUST be driven from the stadium. Just as eg9's boy brewster was driven from the stadium last year...it is past time for macturi to go...

; 0 )

As the article mentioned his successor could prevent people from dropping their season tickets this summer by virtue of not being Joel Maturi.

Not sure you (or anyone else on these boards, for that matter) know Joel Maturi, but one of his attributes is to achieve concensus on ALL major decisions involving the athletic department.

Someone might argue that he should have been 'bolder' in his decision-making over the years--you know, make his own decisions...and I can appreciate that...

You can bet your bottom dollar, though, that he worked with the 'committee' in deciding to hire Tim Brewster...and that he had plenty of 'support' in the decision to fire Glen Mason. None of these decisions was made in a vacuum.

I'm not a huge 'blame guy,' but if you want to affix blame as it relates to the Tim Brewster hiring, then you need to include ALL of 'em who were involved in the decision...:p

Wow, really good article. Honest and direct, good content.

It should be noted by the Minnesota hack reporters that we don't require sunshine blowing up our a$$es to respect a reporter, we just want quality writing with solid content, not hate and poison for the gophs.

Yes, maturi is responsible for a lot of the B.S. at the U, but the administration and liberal weenies in the administration have
been a huge issue for this school for a long time. I can't remember all the articles I've read over the years from Sid & friends
@ the strib regarding the lack of support for athletics in general. "We are a academic institution first" blau, blau, blau...
It's simple, if the U of M wants to succeed, the administration has to continually and emphatically push the football program!What comes from a great football program? Money!!! Alumni money, Business money, tax payer support for other services etc...

This is the key. Kaler must push a new vision and agenda for Gopher football to the point of making it one of the cornerstones of the UM. He needs to sell the Regents on the value of having a successful football program. The liberal profs, consumed by their research, and the PC crowd at the UM have had their way long enough.

A new agenda means providing the necessary resources for Coach Kill to win big and often as well as a new AD; someone with a vision and formula for success and not just a numbers guy and head cheerleader.

Without that, Kaler may just as well renew Maturi.

This is the key. Kaler must push a new vision and agenda for Gopher football to the point of making it one of the cornerstones of the UM. He needs to sell the Regents on the value of having a successful football program. The liberal profs, consumed by their research, and the PC crowd at the UM have had their way long enough.

A new agenda means providing the necessary resources for Coach Kill to win big and often as well as a new AD; someone with a vision and formula for success and not just a numbers guy and head cheerleader.

Without that, Kaler may just as well renew Maturi.

You would think the Regents and liberal profs could talk to some counterparts at Stanford, Cal, and Wisconsin about the benefit of a strong football program. A rising tide lifts all boats, as they say (it took me forever to understand that phrase, so I try to use it at least twice a week).

Liberal Profs and administrators

I find it funny when certain writers use the term "Liberal Profs and administrators" and say they are at fault for the demise of Gopher football when almost every school in the nation has "liberal profs and administrators" and a good chunk of those schools are in the top twenty including Wisconsin one of the most liberal schools in the country. The writers comments don't make much sense too me but they are entertaining. As for Maturi he should be let go...his time has come and gone.

There is a strong possibility that most Gopher fans are not going to be happy with the qualifications and experience of the new Gophers AD, and a 100% certainty that he (or she) is not going to be the miracle worker GopherHolers have been waiting for.

No Gopher AD candidate will be hired who doesn't have a strong history of:

- NCAA compliance

- Student-Athlete Academic Performance

- Support for Women's Athletics

- Commitment to Non-Revenue Sports

What's done is done.

It's note quite relieving the captain of the Titanic of his duties. But it's close.

Joel Maturi has cost the U millions in lawsuits and buyouts, and still has pending lawsuits. He was absolutely and unequivocally the reason the University of Minnesota hired Tim Brewster as football coach,
yes Brown gave the okay for the decision, but Joel Maturi is the one that asked to make that call and sold Brewster as the guy. He deserves to fall for that, nobody that makes that kind of blunder or error stays in power. For that reason alone he should agree to part way's,
but no, Joel will continue to collect his salary and not go away gracefully. Maturi will always be tied to the debacle that was Tim Brewster.

Good article. I think it's the logical time for Maturi to go. I'm pretty much in the same place as Mulligan. Although I've never been an ardent Maturi defender, I've never understood the vitriol and the depiction of him as some kind of Genghis Khan bent on destroying athletics at the U.

Mick Turition, a lot of folks screw up royally in positions both public and private and keep their jobs. Depends on your PR department I suppose.

Agree with Loki on the hilarious demonizing of those darn liberal professors and administrators. I don't know how many people I know who use the phrase "People's Republic of ______" when describing the state university. Fill in the blank. Madison, Boulder, Minneapolis, Berkely. Always the same drone. Yep, that Pagan/Marxist guy and his Wiccan TA over in the Sociology Department perform ritual sacrifices in an attempt to bring down the football team. Faculty has a rep on the board that makes a lot of decisions and having known one of them, he was a pretty big Gopher fan.

Maturi brought a semblance of order to a department that was on the rocks after multiple scandals in the late 1990s. He was the first person in a long time to have to administer both the men's and women's programs. I'll be the first to admit that he's made some big mistakes, but the conference table (that dinkything mentions) at which those decisions were made was considerably bigger and more noisy than predecessors had to encounter. Perhaps it would have been wise to have a caretaker like Tom Moe extended until the dust settled on the merger and a more high-profile person be brought in to run the whole show, but that wasn't done.

I just think Maturi will be done June 30 by mutual agreement. Some will rejoice. Others (a far smaller number) will moan a bit. I'll just hope the next guy can be more successful in building a broad base of support among Gopher fans and fosters greater success on the various fields of competition.

There is a strong possibility that most Gopher fans are not going to be happy with the qualifications and experience of the new Gophers AD, and a 100% certainty that he (or she) is not going to be the miracle worker GopherHolers have been waiting for.

No Gopher AD candidate will be hired who doesn't have a strong history of:

- NCAA compliance

- Student-Athlete Academic Performance

- Support for Women's Athletics

- Commitment to Non-Revenue Sports

Above is a good reminder to all of what Kaler's top criteria will be as he looks to replace his current AD.

I can envision Kaler's 3-point plan in hiring Joel's replacement:

1. Let Joel know his services will no longer be needed , as of 6/30/12

2. Put together a "Blue Ribbon Panel/Committee" to lead the search, with the criteria spelled out above as their guide

3. Determine that the best man for the job is right under their noses...in the person of Joel Maturi:cool02:
And ask Joel to delay his retirement until 6/30/16

Top Bottom