Former Gopher, Gale Gillingham, Dead at 67

DL65

Reaction score
Gale Gillingham of Little Falls, Minnesota passed away at his home on Thursday, October 20.

Gillingham, a fullback in high school, was recruited by the U and played in the line for Murray Warmath. He was drafted in the first round by Vince Lombardi and the Green Bay Packers in 1966. He replaced Fuzzy Thurston at guard the following year and won NFL Championship rings following Super Bowl victories in 1967 and 1968. He played opposite Jerry Kramer. He was inducted into the Green Bay Packer Hall of Fame in 1982.

I had the good fortune of watching Gillingham play for the Gophers in 1964-65. A typical, fundamentally sound lineman coached by Warmath.

RIP Gale Gillingham.

Go Gophers!!

Gillingham was a very big deal in the 60's in MN and in GB. My dad grew up in Little Falls and the community pride in his football accomplishments was incredible. I was proud to cheer him on as a Gopher, frustrated he went to Green Bay & played for Lombardi. Did not bother me to see the PPE dominate his OL later on, starting in '68. RIP, Gale Gillingham.

Top Bottom